Is Garbrandt more than just a boxer?

"just a boxer" isn't totally incorrect. I mean obviously he's a very good wrestler but he only seems to use it these days to keep it standing. In the stand up he seems very content to just counterpunch, which he's great at but he doesn't look as well leading or moving forward. He can also kick well enough but he doesnt do that much of it.

TJ caught him with that kick because TJ had free reign in kicking range. He could move into the kicking range when he wanted to and throw kicks with little threat and it was on Garbrandt to just not get hit with every one of them. Cody is fast but you'll get hit doing that eventually, and thats why he got dropped.

He has to either pressure so his opponents cant kick as much because they're moving backwards, or he needs a good kicking game himself. It's pretty weird for a guy that young to be a such a pure counterpuncher even for boxing but especially mma. He's one of the best in the sport at it right now though, and he throws counter combinations too. He just needs a more complete game.

Cody is the better boxer, TJ is the better striker. /thread.

cody looks like a guy who's going to go the low-fight-IQ route. he's talented and athletic but he's fallen in love with his striking power, like rampage did.

he's going to have to mix it up a lot more if he's going to beat TJ, TJ is way too smart a fighter to just get beat with boxing alone.

Well he had him on rubbery legs in the first round of their first fight, so...

He is a better pure wrestler than TJ.
Dillashaw has more tools and has a stance for all tools.

Garbrandt is mainly focused on his boxing and especially on his right hand.

Garbrandt had 2 surgeries, while TJ was training with Lomachenko. Garbrandt's camp was short and he came rusty into the camp. Uriah wasn't that much there also.

"just a boxer" isn't totally incorrect. I mean obviously he's a very good wrestler but he only seems to use it these days to keep it standing. In the stand up he seems very content to just counterpunch, which he's great at but he doesn't look as well leading or moving forward. He can also kick well enough but he doesnt do that much of it.

TJ caught him with that kick because TJ had free reign in kicking range. He could move into the kicking range when he wanted to and throw kicks with little threat and it was on Garbrandt to just not get hit with every one of them. Cody is fast but you'll get hit doing that eventually, and thats why he got dropped.

He has to either pressure so his opponents cant kick as much because they're moving backwards, or he needs a good kicking game himself. It's pretty weird for a guy that young to be a such a pure counterpuncher even for boxing but especially mma. He's one of the best in the sport at it right now though, and he throws counter combinations too. He just needs a more complete game.

Problem with changing his strategy is that Cody , besides the flashy slips and rolls does not have a good defense. He constantly leaves himself open. He is a little like Gaethje in completely negating his own weapons in wrestling (which are a formidable defensive weapon/threat) and guard defense because he fell in love with his offensive striking.

Imo Cody will stay one dimensional because he is just too dumb to really grow as a fighter anymore. He is not a fighter who will leave his comfort zone to learn new skills contrary to TJ. He did not have many top opponents in the UFC. Imo if he would have to fight the top10 like TJ before his titleshot he would have some losses more.

Damn Garbrandt's stock sure did drop around here didn't it? He went from undefeated champion who ko'd virtually everyone he faced to one dimensional and losing to a guy ranked in the 20s.

He is only 26 and hasn't really had that many fights. Even if he loses to TJ I bet he will still be around for a long time and evolving as a fighter so long as he has that drive.

Problem with changing his strategy is that Cody , besides the flashy slips and rolls does not have a good defense. He constantly leaves himself open. He is a little like Gaethje in completely negating his own weapons in wrestling (which are a formidable defensive weapon/threat) and guard defense because he fell in love with his offensive striking.

Imo Cody will stay one dimensional because he is just too dumb to really grow as a fighter anymore. He is not a fighter who will leave his comfort zone to learn new skills contrary to TJ. He did not have many top opponents in the UFC. Imo if he would have to fight the top10 like TJ before his titleshot he would have some losses more.

I somewhat agree. The only thing i'd disagree on strongly is the defense. I think his defense is pretty good for someone who's only been a pro 5 years. Nobody starts out with good defense. Even some of the best defensive fighters like Aldo or Whitaker for example had early fights where they got tagged a lot.

I do wonder how much evolution we'll see out of him. Perhaps he peaked early but there is still a lot of potential.

Damn Garbrandt's stock sure did drop around here didn't it? He went from undefeated champion who ko'd virtually everyone he faced to one dimensional and losing to a guy ranked in the 20s.

He is only 26 and hasn't really had that many fights. Even if he loses to TJ I bet he will still be around for a long time and evolving as a fighter so long as he has that drive.
To be fair, everyone in this thread is defending him, and some people have great points. I was the main one questioning Cody this time. One guy said he looked like a boxer against TJ cause he wanted the KO, which is a fair assessment

I stand by my statement that Barao KOs him if Cody decides to just box with him, but I did forget that Barao just lost and will probably never get that fight. Cruz fight was great though. Maybe he was just scared to wrestle TJ cause his back injury? Maybe the fight just didnt go long enough for Cody to show the rest of his game. But he looked like a boxer against TJ. Which doesnt get you anywhere
<JerryWWF>

Barao's WEAKNESS is boxing, and he hasn't looked like an elite fighter in years. Cody would beat his ass.

Rivera eats him alive, and so does Barao even at this point
I stand by my statement that Barao KOs him if Cody decides to just box with him
Barao has terrible boxing and gets slept worse than he did vs TJ. Rivera would be an interesting fight, but Rivera doesn't have a lot of power. He likely gets caught and slept with a counter.

Can't be serious. The guy is a wrestler.

I somewhat agree. The only thing i'd disagree on strongly is the defense. I think his defense is pretty good for someone who's only been a pro 5 years. Nobody starts out with good defense. Even some of the best defensive fighters like Aldo or Whitaker for example had early fights where they got tagged a lot.

I do wonder how much evolution we'll see out of him. Perhaps he peaked early but there is still a lot of potential.

Kinda also agree but watch some training footage and his old fights. Pretty much the same even years ago. Imo his problem just like some others is that he conditions himself to keep the hands low. Thats how he sparrs / drills.

He’s the best mma fighter in the bantamweight division. He will beat tj in the rematch

Back