Is Fighting Off The Back Foot "Running"?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Is distributing your weight to your rear leg and fighting in a backwards motion an acceptable method of the sweet science?

Or

Is it taking away from the true essence and intent of the sport, and that being to go for the KO?

Are they "running" or are they boxing smart?

Thoughts?

Its no different to being an outside fighter imo. Boxing is about using whatever advantages you can and maximizing your potential to win. Only dumb fuck fans think every boxing match should be like Gatti vs Ward

I mean, that would make a significant amount of the greatest fighters of all time runners, so I'm probably going to go with no on this one.

Its running when your favorite slugger gets outboxed.

Last edited:
Here is an excerpt from an article I read. Link listed underneath:

George Foreman famously said "Boxing is like Jazz, the better it is, the less people appreciate it."
(https://bleacherreport.com/articles...e-been-unfairly-given-the-boring-label#slide8)

Some of the boxers listed as being viewed as "runners" include:

Miguel Vazquez
Mayweather
Rigo'

The name of the game is to hit and not get hit? Or should you accept a certain level of punishment knowing you're going to be hit in order to push the action?

Here is an excerpt from an article I read. Link listed underneath:

George Foreman famously said "Boxing is like Jazz, the better it is, the less people appreciate it."
(https://bleacherreport.com/articles...e-been-unfairly-given-the-boring-label#slide8)

Some of the boxers listed as being viewed as "runners" include:

Miguel Vazquez
Mayweather
Rigo'

The name of the game is to hit and not get hit? Or should you accept a certain level of punishment knowing you're going to be hit in order to push the action?
George Foreman whined about Tommy Morrison running from him.

I mean, there are definitely fighters who are more runners than boxers, but the general answer is no.

Is distributing your weight to your rear leg and fighting in a backwards motion an acceptable method of the sweet science?

Or

Is it taking away from the true essence and intent of the sport, and that being to go for the KO?

Are they "running" or are they boxing smart?

Thoughts?
having more weight on your rear leg usually means more power in your right hand. (if you orthodox)

It's only running if you don't attack. If you tire the other guy out to attack him later that's not even running. If you just avoid fighting altogether and use it to evade and coast then yeah, it can be.

I fight off of the back foot because i have reach/height advantage over most guys my weight. I certainly don’t run and my feet aren’t particularly quick anyways. Very heavy use of the jab with right hand coming in to play when they fall short
Pressure fighters are my worst nightmare

Last edited:
Not running if you're still throwing and countering.

Are you spring loading into the jab? I always felt the jab was stronger leaning or coming forward, but I guess you would still push off the back foot.

Please explain.

Yeah you still push off the back foot as with any punch. I dont think there is much difference in my power whether I step in to it or sit back, as technically it’s the same. It feels much more natural off my back foot but that’s probably because I’ve fought this way for years. Definately have more snap/power in my straight right though

i would think running would be a more on your toes type of thing, lateral movement. The "backfoot" talk is a word I never really heard, we just used to say "fight going backwards" that simple, as in when Michael Spinks dominated Qawi "going backwards" and how it's not natural or easy for just anyone to do. At any rate, in the macho world of boxing, any step anywhere other than forward is referred to as some kind of sissy move, it's stupid but that's how it is. You do what you need to do to win, and if that's run, fight off the back foot or brawl, that's what you do. Qawi said something funny as hell in a recent interview, how when he fought Michael Spinks that he had "never seen anyone run sideways" it was true and it was pejoritive but he still lost. It was funny because spinks had a fucked up style of fighting, it gave Holmes fits as well, it was ugly, unentertaining but he'd win, that's why I love when guys like that fight guys like a bomber who won't play his game.

Are you spring loading into the jab? I always felt the jab was stronger leaning or coming forward, but I guess you would still push off the back foot.

Please explain.

There is that, but those who have their weight on their front foot while jabbing tend to not have as stable of a base so the jab isn't as solid, plus their face is closer and easier to hit.

Its running when your favorite slugger gets outboxed.
giphy.gif

Back