Is Eddie Alvarez about as basic as it gets when it comes to fight style?

Is there anyone more generic than Eddie Alvarez. Club level boxing + collegiate level wrestling packed into an average 5ft9 frame. The only thing more cliche is if he would throw a superman punch to start the fight

for the sake of the evolution of MMA, I hope Conor tunes him up with some left hands

This is kind of an ironic statement given that we are talking about "mixed" martial arts, and Conor is basically a one-trick pony - a very good one-trick that gets the job done, but he is not as well-rounded as most.

Hes really not that special in terms of fighting ability. Hes like a better version of dustin porier, will get destroyed by conor easily i would bet my car on that.

lol what do you call Bisping than? Or Stipe? Is Stipe super basic? What about Woodley? Or Lawler?

Boxing and wrestling = basic fighter got it
Woodley is far from basic, the dude has above average power and speed. Also great athleticism.

But that's a bad comparison, which is why I posted. They both have boxing and wresting bases but that's about as similar as they are.

It wasn't meant to be a criticism of Stipe (or Bisping, Lawler, RDA or Tate) but a defense of 'basic' fighters without flashy styles, who are often pretty good.

This is kind of an ironic statement given that we are talking about "mixed" martial arts, and Conor is basically a one-trick pony - a very good one-trick that gets the job done, but he is not as well-rounded as most.
when people say well rounded they just mean this generic wrestler + some shitty boxing protoype that MMA has been stuck in for a decade

Conor and Wonderboy are changing the game

when people say well rounded they just mean this generic wrestler + some shitty boxing protoype that MMA has been stuck in for a decade

Conor and Wonderboy are changing the game

They're not changing the game any more than Anderson, Machida, Overeem, Pettis, Cruz, Holly, Barboza or insert other flashy striker.

There are unique looking and certainly viable fighting styles to be derived from striking backgrounds but they are hardly some major 'evolution' of the sport as a whole. Flashy strikers have been around for a while.

Also it's funny how somebody like Hunt is never considered part of a striking revolution even though he was a champion in a pure striking sport, because his style isn't as flashy.

Is there anyone more generic than Eddie Alvarez. Club level boxing + collegiate level wrestling packed into an average 5ft9 frame. The only thing more cliche is if he would throw a superman punch to start the fight

for the sake of the evolution of MMA, I hope Conor tunes him up with some left hands
Hilarious you're talking abut Evolution when Eddie is one of the most well rounded guys in the game and Conor is one dimensional. Eddie has elite boxing, it's better than his wrestling

Depends on what you call basic. All those fighters are basic because they follow the FUNDAMENTALS. Conor does very average stuff and It doesnt mean they're "Basic" only a few fighters like Dom or Pantera are unorthodox Because they do stuff that, following the fundamentals, are wrong.

Name the college? I'll wait. I'm not taking anything away from his success, but Eddie's wrestling ability is greatly overestimated.
Eddie goes back and forth with Frankie wrestling and received many D1 scholarships for wrestling

Hilarious you're talking abut Evolution when Eddie is one of the most well rounded guys in the game and Conor is one dimensional. Eddie has elite boxing, it's better than his wrestling

elite boxing, gets tuned up and made tap dancing by guys on the regular

Eddie Alvarez is like the generic MMA villain in a movie

elite boxing, gets tuned up and made tap dancing by guys on the regular

Eddie Alvarez is like the generic MMA villain in a movie
Look up Jack Slacks break down on the topic, you newbie

Being a decent boxer, a decent wrestler, and having great cardio (Alvarez is a half decent grappler, and has a respectable kicking game, as well) gets you a very long way in MMA, and that will likely always be the case.

If by basic you mean deadly on the ground or on the feet. Super cardio. Exciting style.

Ya he's super basic, TS

alright, this is going too far. Eddie is a good, well trained and well conditioned, extremely tough fighter

He is not as skilled as a guy like Stipe. He does not have the boxing and striking technique. I lean more toward the OP than a post like this. Don't compare them.
Eddie isn't as skilled as Stipe? Jesus people really hate him

Hes really not that special in terms of fighting ability. Hes like a better version of dustin porier, will get destroyed by conor easily i would bet my car on that.
You clearly drive a Pinto

He's a true fighter and is very good at digging deep and finding a way to win

If Conor rocks him he better finish him quick with the follow up strikes or he'll be in alot of trouble.

Back