Is Doo Ho Choi exposed?

A loss means f all in MMA, two decent wins & your back in line for a title shot. He has shown flaws but he also shown some good attributes. Win or lose he's a fan friendly fighter. Cub ain't no bum, very awkward & erratic fighter with weird angles. Good learning fight even in a loss.

You know, he kinda reminds me of JDS. Both had a ton of hype, both are a bread and butter pressure type boxers with not a lot of flash, both had great TDD, both are/were huge first round finishers, had great accuracy/power and appeared to be unstoppable until you got them to fight off the rear foot. If we look at JDS now, all his losses have come off of guys pressuring him and not allowing him to get his game on. He tried to correct his deficiencies but was never able to, as rear foot fighting is one of the hardest things to master. If you look at almost all the champs now, they can all fight off of their back foot (MM, Cruz, Conor, Bisping, Stipe), as the striking element of MMA is changing so much and so quickly.
Yes very true, its a necessity know for a great striker, even old Chuck could get a KO off the back foot and backing up. You have to control the space, place, tempo of the fight.

Clearly a highly talented individual. Tough as nails too. I just hope that damage won't take a toll on him. He should take a lot of time off before getting into any more fights. Something like 10 months off at least. Or his brain will not recover.

If he worked with a great boxing coach he'd be an absolute beast.

Then proceed to start to look as average as he did vs Alcantara since then. That last lost was.... man, Im still so fucking dissapointed about it. Went into a staring contest to end up tapping to a guy ranked like 23rd at WW.

WTF is going on with the quotes?! According to the chronology of the thread, this was posted 3 or 4 posts after this. Also the reply count numbers are super weird.

Anyhow, Choi is good and exciting but he his kryptonite is blitzes. I think previously, his style worked against fighters who were conservative and through "normal" combos. It worked because everyone else was worried about opening up in a flurry and getting caught with his quick, powerful right. Cub took a few of them and realized he could explode and that's when the fight changed. I think he just needs a few tweaks and he'll be fine. Live and learn...

Losing a great fight to #4 ranked Cub Swanson only exposes how much potential he has.
It exposed what he needs to work on, sure, but he's tough an gutsy as hell.
I think he exposed what a bright future he has, he's still young and has time to work on the holes in his game, made a fan out of me last night.

WTF is going on with the quotes?! According to the chronology of the thread, this was posted 3 or 4 posts after this. Also the reply count numbers are super weird.

Somethings fishy indeed. My first post in this topic now appears to be my second one.

<23>

I honestly thought a stand up war in any facet would've gone Chois way. I've been following him ever since black called him out over 6 years ago when he was 19 and did not see this beating coming especially from the likes of Cub who I never really rated.
The biggest problem I saw was that he was not fighting his own fight. Once that happened it was an all out brawl which benefited Cub. I thought he won the 1st and would have maybe finished it the 3rd but decided to take Cub down which was a horrible decision.

Yo
Now I know he's still young but he was doing great until Cub decided to push the pace and had him go backward and the fight changed completely.
You Fuckers dont even try anymore do you?

No, he lost a tough fight. Let's see how he does in his next fight to see whether or not he becomes a better fighter after this loss.

He needs to learn how to fight in the pocket.

Or do whatever he can to maintain that linear distance. Side kicks, oblique kicks, and spinning back kicks would help a lot.

And if he is in the pocket, don't be afraid to clinch up and elbow. Choi has decent defensive grappling so he should elbow in the clinch till he can spin out amd reset.

Plus head movements and counters off of slips would help. He should get into some boxing gyms to help him see how he can maintain that precision striking in face of guys teeing off in combo punches to get used to the pressure.

TS I spotted a few things in his game that I now have question marks over.

- His ability to counter. He seems very good at walking you down and throwing straights, but when you throw a flurry at him, most of the time he just needs to throw back and he has a great chance of clipping you. He didn't counter much, if at all.

- His ability to move his head. He literally backs up in a straight line, without his hands up and with his chin up in the air. You'll have heard Rogan say this for years, that is the worst strategy possible when it comes to striking.

- Ground game. He swept the legs of Cub many times, but did pretty much nothing on the ground, didn't look very comfortable or talented there - expect some guys to put him on his back and try and work from there.

I hope he tries to address these gaps in his game, because the kid is fucking talented.
- He's good at countering when his feet are planted, but not when he's backing up.

- He does lack head movement. This was evident even in his fights in Japan (watch his fights against Nagakura and Maruyama). Choi is a very offensive type of striker. Doesn't utilize a lot of elusiveness.

- He has a tendency to lose top position and get swept (also evident in his fights in Japan). However, the guy is very good at scrambling back to his feet. I wouldn't worry too much about him getting grinded out by wrestlers (see his fight against Usuda in Sengoku).

"I'm going to train even more and I'm not going to lose again" - Korean Superboy
<{JustBleed}>

doo-ho-choi-of-south-korea-poses-for-a-portrait-backstage-after-his-picture-id545604142

- He's good at countering when his feet are planted, but not when he's backing up.

- He does lack head movement. This was evident even in his fights in Japan (watch his fights against Nagakura and Maruyama). Choi is a very offensive type of striker. Doesn't utilize a lot of elusiveness.

- He has a tendency to lose top position and get swept (also evident in his fights in Japan). However, the guy is very good at scrambling back to his feet. I wouldn't worry too much about him getting grinded out by wrestlers (see his fight against Usuda in Sengoku).
I like your further analysis!

Your first point was my favorite, and essentially exactly what I'm saying, when backing up doesn't throw back.

Back