Is Conor ko'ing Aldo the greatest fighting performance in the UFC history?

Cain over Lesnar
Honorable mention - The Reem over Lesnar (but not a title fight)

GSP over Jon Fitch

Jones over Shogun

BJ over Hughes

Holly over Ronda

All of these are title fights that were completely one sided beatdowns against good or at least scary fighters. Complete, one-sided dominations. I think these are better examples of legendary performances. McGregor Aldo was just too quick. You didn't get to see McGregor outstrike Aldo 200-20, or take him down at will, or laugh at his leg kicks or anything at all other than one single exchange.

Alright it's a good point. But these 13 seconds have been prepared by a carefully executed build up. I agree with Jones and Silva having memorable performances too
No, those 13 seconds were not planned. Conor expected it to end with that left but not that quick. You can tell by his hesitation in following him down for hammer fists after the left landed.

Him not giving it another go is further evidence that he does not think he could replicate that performance.

Any additional fight against Aldo, win or loss, that was not devasting and in the first round would have tarnished this win. People crying that it was a fluke (which it probably was).

Askren v. Masvidal might be a better strike, but if he missed Askren would have dry humped the rest of the round. Conor had a better multi-round strategy.

It is definitely one of the most iconic and flawless, but too short to be considered the greatest fighting performance imo
It was insane because of how big the fight was and how Aldo was unbeaten for a decade

In your other examples like shogun jones and silva forrest, i feel they showed they were skill levels apart, outclassed and made their opponent look like amateurs, whereas Conor showed he can catch Aldo. Conor-Alvarez was an exceptional performance too, making his opponent look like he didnt' belong
This! I'd rate vs Alvarez ahead of vs Aldo.

It's not even Conor's best performance, his dismantling of Eddie Alvarez is. Dominating a fight is a greater display of skill than getting a quick knockout.

It is definitely one of the most iconic and flawless, but too short to be considered the greatest fighting performance imo
It was insane because of how big the fight was and how Aldo was unbeaten for a decade

In your other examples like shogun jones and silva forrest, i feel they showed they were skill levels apart, outclassed and made their opponent look like amateurs, whereas Conor showed he can catch Aldo. Conor-Alvarez was an exceptional performance too, making his opponent look like he didnt' belong
lol no, Conor showed they were skill levels apart by knocking him out by the first punch, literally countered him with ease and put him to sheep. It showed the difference of skill between their boxing

Something longer than a few seconds. I mean, it was a good shot but it can happen to anybody. It's no more impressive than what Jorge did to Askren. Not that it's not impressive, I just don't consider it a "performance" that proves a whole hell of lot. One guy just made a very early mistake. If they fight a hundred times, it doesn't go down like that very often.

You brought up Jones. I'd say he has some of the most impressive performances of dominance and picking apart an opponent. Machida, Shogun, Cormier. Anderson Silva clowning Forrest Griffin and Rich Franklin are up there too.
Aldo didn’t make a mistake, he got in an exchange with the superior boxer and got knocked out in 10 seconds. That result likely happens 9 out of 10 times, either way Aldo would’ve got countered and caught early

McGregor was a weight bully at 145. A 170 pounder killing himself to make weight to beat Aldo wasn’t that impressive to me.
He can barely make 170 lol, he’s a small at 170. He’s a natural lightweight. Conor beat him by better skill

Beating an unbeaten champ for 10 years in 10 seconds is possibly the best performance you can have

Aldo didn’t make a mistake, he got in an exchange with the superior boxer and got knocked out in 10 seconds. That result likely happens 9 out of 10 times, either way Aldo would’ve got countered and caught early

He can barely make 170 lol, he’s a small at 170. He’s a natural lightweight. Conor beat him by better skill

You apparently can be this stupid.

Anyway, Dana deserves the assist by being Conor's biggest ball washer and cheerleader on that clown show world tour where he basically chauffeured McGregor around the world so he could smack talk Jose in a language he didn't speak or understand fluently. Aldo tried to take all those words out on him in one punch, mistakenly, ate a huge punch, got finished. All time bad outcome.

There was zero chance Conor would ever duplicate the performance, so there was no reason to give Jose a rematch. When you realize the UFC refused to let Aldo be double champ in a fight against Pettis and didn't care for him due to his injury history and comments on pay, it makes sense entirely why they avoided it, only offering it up to him on short notice, out of camp, a weight class up.

Shit happens. Life moves on.

maaaan i dont like wmma but nunes vs cyborg was a pretty unexpected one sided beatdown of the "womans" version of fedor at the time. Nunes beat the absolute dogshit out of her.

No, those 13 seconds were not planned. Conor expected it to end with that left but not that quick. You can tell by his hesitation in following him down for hammer fists after the left landed.

Him not giving it another go is further evidence that he does not think he could replicate that performance.

Any additional fight against Aldo, win or loss, that was not devasting and in the first round would have tarnished this win. People crying that it was a fluke (which it probably was).

Askren v. Masvidal might be a better strike, but if he missed Askren would have dry humped the rest of the round. Conor had a better multi-round strategy.
Conor didn’t give him a rematch because the weight cut was getting harder for him. Nothing about it was a fluke, Conor was the superior boxer coming in and countered him in an exchange, nothing fluky about it. That’s why people thought Aldo would even try to wrestle Conor.

People will say it's a fluke as though Aldo didn't then also get his head boxed off by the two next best boxers he faced in Holloway and Yan.

Aldo's entire style is about forcing a boxing match with his TDD and leg checks. That's great until you run into a superior boxer.

Back