Is caffeine bad for training?

MMAPARADOX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Is caffeine good or bad for training?

What about preworkout like muscle pharm assault.

what about other stimulants?

Feel like your cardio might not ever improve if you use it every time you train but idk

Black Coffee is my favorite pre work out besides sweet tarts or water.

When I start to feel lethargic, eating a Granny Smith apple helps a lot.

Eat a piece of fruit (sugar + carbs) and have a small cup of black coffee ( caffine )

I'll usually have a banana or a single piece of toast with peanut butter, and a small protein shake or black coffee.

But, if you're not properly hydrated, it won't help at all and will probably make you feel WORSE.

Drinking coffee and training so you can work out more is not helpful for cardio is like saying taking steroids and lifting is not helpful for strength. I drink a cup of coffee whenever I goto the gym.

It's my own kind steroid. I'm so energetic afterwards. I can go for days. My cardio has never been better.

Caffeine has a bunch of positive effects with exercise that have been well documented. Google whatever particular one that you're interested in and you should find a bunch of studies from reputable journals.

The only problem with caffeine is that when you get too addicted to it like I am, you feel like shit if you do not drink some. I drink so much caffeine that I am not sure how I am alive yet. In Europe there are tons of people who over dose with coffee daily. So while it is good, do not get used to it. Use it when you feel shitty and need some energy to go.

I heard that WADA plans on banning caffeine for competing athletes.

I spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect pre workout supplement. I always train after 10+ hours at work and found it hard to do 2+ hour training sessions. I decided that before I went with a preworkout, which is mostly caffeine + marketing anyway, I would try caffeine pills. I spent $7 on 200x200mg pills. I split them in half and take half prior to every workout. My workouts improved ten fold. It's night and day. It's such a huge factor in my training. I once forgot my caffeine at home and decided fuck it lets see what happens. I had the worst workout I've had in months.

A big factor for me was that I'm pretty sensitive to stimulants in general. If I have a coffee after 2pm I can't fall asleep until 1-2am (I'm in bed by 11 during the week). I usually take my caffeine pill around 5:30 PM and have no trouble falling asleep. I don't know how this works because it still happens to me with coffee. Just yesterday I had a starbucks coffee at 3pm thinking that I've been desensitized to caffeine from the taking the pills 3-4 days a week + drinking coffee every morning. Couldn't fall asleep again. Weird but that's my experience.

I spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect pre workout supplement. I always train after 10+ hours at work and found it hard to do 2+ hour training sessions. I decided that before I went with a preworkout, which is mostly caffeine + marketing anyway, I would try caffeine pills. I spent $7 on 200x200mg pills. I split them in half and take half prior to every workout. My workouts improved ten fold. It's night and day. It's such a huge factor in my training. I once forgot my caffeine at home and decided fuck it lets see what happens. I had the worst workout I've had in months.

A big factor for me was that I'm pretty sensitive to stimulants in general. If I have a coffee after 2pm I can't fall asleep until 1-2am (I'm in bed by 11 during the week). I usually take my caffeine pill around 5:30 PM and have no trouble falling asleep. I don't know how this works because it still happens to me with coffee. Just yesterday I had a starbucks coffee at 3pm thinking that I've been desensitized to caffeine from the taking the pills 3-4 days a week + drinking coffee every morning. Couldn't fall asleep again. Weird but that's my experience.
Black Coffee is my favorite pre work out besides sweet tarts or water.

Eat a piece of fruit (sugar + carbs) and have a small cup of black coffee ( caffine )

I'll usually have a banana or a single piece of toast with peanut butter, and a small protein shake or black coffee.

But, if you're not properly hydrated, it won't help at all and will probably make you feel WORSE.

Drinking coffee and training so you can work out more is not helpful for cardio is like saying taking steroids and lifting is not helpful for strength. I drink a cup of coffee whenever I goto the gym.

It's my own kind steroid. I'm so energetic afterwards. I can go for days. My cardio has never been better.

Caffeine has a bunch of positive effects with exercise that have been well documented. Google whatever particular one that you're interested in and you should find a bunch of studies from reputable journals.

The only problem with caffeine is that when you get too addicted to it like I am, you feel like shit if you do not drink some. I drink so much caffeine that I am not sure how I am alive yet. In Europe there are tons of people who over dose with coffee daily. So while it is good, do not get used to it. Use it when you feel shitty and need some energy to go.

But what about over the long term? Will your cardio actually improve if you consistently use caffeine?

I know for one session having caffeine in you will give you more energy, but i wonder if your cardio can actually improve over time doing this.

I think coffee and tea have tannins in it which slow absorption. Making it slower release

But what about over the long term? Will your cardio actually improve if you consistently use caffeine?

I know for one session having caffeine in you will give you more energy, but i wonder if your cardio can actually improve over time doing this.
Yes dude caffeine in moderation is not super bad for you. It has a other health benefits as well. Especially if you get your caffeine from more natural sources like coffee, matcha green tea, or yerba mate.

I drink one cup of fine ground matcha before class every day, and its night and day difference. I try to take one day off from caffeine to reset tolerance though.

your heart and lungs won't know why their working harder

You're working harder therefore you're getting more gains. That's how I see it. Of course without caffeine, you won't be as good as if you're on caffeine but you'd still be better than before you went into training.

People who are on steroid don't all of a sudden get skinny after they lay off the drug. They'd still be buff AF. They might not be "prime" but still better than if they didn't take steroids at all.

All stand and solute to what is strong black coffee!

Nectar of the gods!

I did some years as a Boston bike messenger and trained 4 times a week back in the reckless days after collage. Gave myself an Ulcer from too much caffeine and no time to eat during work. Doc said no booze, no cigs and no coffee till it healed.

The darkness fell across the land...

I drank green tea for years till my new lady hooked me back on coffee.

6 years later, never looked back...Up at 5:30 every morning, eat like a fucking rabbit and drink a pot of coffee a day.

The hydration is the biggest downside while training, so tons of water or what I do now is Chia seeds soaked in water for veggie based protein as well as hydration.

Dammit my coffee cup is getting low!

Gotta run...

LOL!

You're working harder therefore you're getting more gains. That's how I see it. Of course without caffeine, you won't be as good as if you're on caffeine but you'd still be better than before you went into training.

People who are on steroid don't all of a sudden get skinny after they lay off the drug. They'd still be buff AF. They might not be "prime" but still better than if they didn't take steroids at all.

I've been training for years (running, kickboxing and grappling) , and I would never take something that dehydrate before training.

Theirs loads of article on this subject in the running media and they also talk about some benefits. Some gels have some caffein in them. But personnaly, I'm more than ok with just water.

Also, make sure you have time (and a place) to take a shit before your training because coffee is really good for your bowel movement.

I've been training for years (running, kickboxing and grappling) , and I would never take something that dehydrate before training.

Theirs loads of article on this subject in the running media and they also talk about some benefits. Some gels have some caffein in them. But personnaly, I'm more than ok with just water.

Also, make sure you have time (and a place) to take a shit before your training because coffee is really good for your bowel movement.
Wow!! That explains all the shit I've been taking. Luckily, I take it in the morning/afternoon. I drink plenty of water before I go. But wow that's good to know.

I could go a whole hour without water. But then afterwards I could drink a whole gallon lol.

Wow!! That explains all the shit I've been taking. Luckily, I take it in the morning/afternoon. I drink plenty of water before I go. But wow that's good to know.

I could go a whole hour without water. But then afterwards I could drink a whole gallon lol.

My mother in law once said to me that when she becomes senile or have dementia, just give her a coffee and sit her on the toilet.

Strange discussion to have with your mother in law but it seems that for some people it works almost too well

At running events you always see people drinking their coffee while waiting in line for the toilet 20 minutes before the race.

caffeine used to be on the international doping substance list until 2004. the allowed levels used to be the equivialent of 6-8 cups of coffe, while effects in studies was noticed after the equivialent of 2-3 cups.
Wada is currently investigating if they should list it as banned again.

Some effects of coffeine according to wada studies (cut&paste job):

Effects on Performance
During periods of 30-120 minutes caffeine has been shown to produce the following benefits:
Improved muscle contractability
Increased time to exhaustion
Improved concentration
Enhanced alertness
Reduced fatigue

In the short-term (under 30 minutes) caffeine can have a detrimental effect on some aspects of performance, for example fine motor control and technique due to over-arousal.
Side-Effects of Caffeine
Abdominal pain
Diarrhoea
Dehydration
Restlessness, anxiety & irritability
Headaches
High blood pressure
Interference with recovery and sleep patterns
Palpitations
Increased muscle tension

So, coffeine is good AND bad for training.

This is most definitely stand up technique.

Back