Is being a top UFC fighter currently more about being an expert weight cutter than actual skill?

Nah.
Neil Magny was towering over Santiago, yet Santiago was able to close the distance and shut Magny down.
Frankie beat taller and much heavier fighters, Fedor beat bigger fighters, etc.

Khabib didn’t appear bigger at all vs connie. He actually looked a bit smaller fight night.

He’s about the same size as tony, gsp, funky, josh Thomson , Kevin lee, chiesa. I’m sure there are other examples that I’m missing on a cursory glance.

My point is after he got a nutritionist he’s had less of a problem, but he walks around 2 bills which is not uncommon for many 55ers.

Hey also think he’d do well at 170 and 165 once they open that bad boy up.

Oscar McGregory made his career off cutting insane amounts of weight.

Yeah I mean welcome to 10 years ago ts. You been in a coma or something dude? Because you have been asking a lot of weird history questions.

It's a ugly part of the sport that I would like to see stopped. The weight classes should all be reassessed and everyone should fight at there normal walking weight.

Or go old school and have no weight classes lol.

Khabib didn’t appear bigger at all vs connie. He actually looked a bit smaller fight night.

He’s about the same size as tony, gsp, funky, josh Thomson , Kevin lee, chiesa. I’m sure there are other examples that I’m missing on a cursory glance.

My point is after he got a nutritionist he’s had less of a problem, but he walks around 2 bills which is not uncommon for many 55ers.

Hey also think he’d do well at 170 and 165 once they open that bad boy up.

Khabib looked much bigger, a weightclass above as I could see it. His body frame and torso is just larger.
Mcregor tries to bulk himself up but is more a natural 150-155 pounder. Khabib is ideally around 165-170. If they sort the issue it would damage Khabib more, he wouldnt be able to make lw but Mcregor could.

I don't care what anyone says extreme weight cutting is for cowards. Frankie Edgar is one of the few brave ones. He actually weighed 155 in the cage and didn't cut anything.

I basically agree with this. Extreme weight cutting is ducking guys your own size. You can say it is cowardly in a lot of ways. But with the amount of money and success on the line, people will look to bend the rules to win and it is basically a legal way of bending the rules at present and fighting with a big advantage against smaller guys.

Man up and follow the old adage, "pick on someone your own size"

Yes. If you're an inch taller or your body fat's 1% lower than your opponent's, you'll whoop the dude.

If we're really looking for the best fighters, then we shouldn't have weight classes at all. What does weight have to do with it? Let them all fight each other and see who wins. That guy is the best fighter.

If it's the best fights you're looking for, then you still don't need weight classes. You just make match-ups that make sense. Why in hell worry that one guy weighs 168 lbs and another guy weighs 172 lbs? If those guys are a good matc-up, let's see them fight. Who cares if they're in a different weight class on fight night or any other night.

Weight classes are a joke played on the viewing public so that we believe there are numerous "World Champions" that we absolutely can't miss seeing fight. Sports have only one true "World Champion." That holds true for everything from the NFL to FIFA to the 100 Meter Sprint to Chess. Anything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Oscar McGregory made his career off cutting insane amounts of weight.
Conor weighed about 160lbs-163lbs at FW in camp shape it’s not the worst we’ve seen but it looks worse because he’s so lean it makes it look like he’s an aids victim.

Khabib looked much bigger, a weightclass above as I could see it. His body frame and torso is just larger.
Mcregor tries to bulk himself up but is more a natural 150-155 pounder. Khabib is ideally around 165-170. If they sort the issue it would damage Khabib more, he wouldnt be able to make lw but Mcregor could.

I basically agree with this. Extreme weight cutting is ducking guys your own size. You can say it is cowardly in a lot of ways. But with the amount of money and success on the line, people will look to bend the rules to win and it is basically a legal way of bending the rules at present and fighting with a big advantage against smaller guys.

Man up and follow the old adage, "pick on someone your own size"

That old adage is stupid, though. You might as well say "Pick on someone your own speed" or "Pick on someone with your own punching power."

Sorry, but if I have a beef with you, then you're the one I'm going to "pick on." And I'm not a really big guy, so that's often going to mean picking on someone bigger than me. So be it. And if you happen to be a little asshole who does something that warrants being picked on, then that's what's gonna happen.

Mind you, I'm also not someone who gets into fights. If I'm fighting with you it's probably because you're trying to hurt me or someone else or take something that's mine. In any case, how big you are doesn't come into the equation.

If we're really looking for the best fighters, then we shouldn't have weight classes at all. What does weight have to do with it? Let them all fight each other and see who wins. That guy is the best fighter.

If it's the best fights you're looking for, then you still don't need weight classes. You just make match-ups that make sense. Why in hell worry that one guy weighs 168 lbs and another guy weighs 172 lbs? If those guys are a good matc-up, let's see them fight. Who cares if they're in a different weight class on fight night or any other night.

Weight classes are a joke played on the viewing public so that we believe there are numerous "World Champions" that we absolutely can't miss seeing fight. Sports have only one true "World Champion." That holds true for everything from the NFL to FIFA to the 100 Meter Sprint to Chess. Anything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Your kind of right about this at its core with fighting. But there needs to be consistency so weightclasses and belts serve this purpose.

That old adage is stupid, though. You might as well say "Pick on someone your own speed" or "Pick on someone with your own punching power."

Sorry, but if I have a beef with you, then you're the one I'm going to "pick on." And I'm not a really big guy, so that's often going to mean picking on someone bigger than me. So be it. And if you happen to be a little asshole who does something that warrants being picked on, then that's what's gonna happen.

Mind you, I'm also not someone who gets into fights. If I'm fighting with you it's probably because you're trying to hurt me or someone else or take something that's mine. In any case, how big you are doesn't come into the equation.

I think the adage in general is for larger picking on smaller i.e extreme weight cutting.

Also if a small guy does you wrong, again different story.
Then hes crossed a line, so fair game.

Otherwise tough guys who are only tuf when their against smaller guys are the type who need to learn this.
Just look at Tito when he had to fight guys his actual size and roughly his age ( he mis calculated 40 yr old Randy). Or when he was confronted by hw Mitrione and started to have a breakdown. Funny when the tables are turned or thet meet someone smaller who still beats the tar out of them like Frank.

Conor weighed about 160lbs-163lbs at FW in camp shape it’s not the worst we’ve seen but it looks worse because he’s so lean it makes it look like he’s an aids victim.
LOL @ only 160, if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

LOL @ only 160, if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.
You’re an idiot. I’ve met Conor in person several times and he’s a 160-165lb man tops when he’s on right shape at FW. I get you’re probably fat as fuck and obese but not everyone is big because they have defined muscles.

Edgar says no.

Rumble says no.

Gastelum says no.

Whittaker says no.

Till says no.

Gleison says no.

Gus says no.

Jones says no.

HW DC says no.

Lineker says no.

RDA says no.

I could go for a while of fighters successful who cut little weight and not so successful fighters who cut a ton.

Gunnar Nelson at WW too

Gunnar has filled out and actually cuts alot more weight than he used to. I think it was the rick Story fight where he started organized weight lifting to fill out and has.

I don't care what anyone says extreme weight cutting is for cowards. Frankie Edgar is one of the few brave ones. He actually weighed 155 in the cage and didn't cut anything.

Only a coward fights people his own size? Most high level fighters to ever compete are all cowards? Hmm. Ok bud.

Back