Is Anyone looking at tomorrow as Jiris first title defence...?

I count it as a title defense for Jon Jones. Because I believe Jon Jones could beat both of them at LHW
So this counts as an invisible title defense which some other user mentioned last month

Not really. If he vacated and was fighting the winner that fought for that vacated belt than yes. But too many shit went down already. Two title fights already happened while he was gone.

Tbh this distinction doesn't really matter. If he'd chosen not to vacate he would have been stripped. In any case the outcome is the same.
What makes you think that? Generally when the champ has an injury that requires him to be out for a year, wich this was, a 1 year injury. They make an interm title. Other than domicile cruZ who they eventually stripped because of multiple injuries, and already had a interm champion (that defended it twice) when other situation did they strip the champion because of injury?

What makes you think that? Generally when the champ has an injury that requires him to be out for a year, wich this was, a 1 year injury. They make an interm title. Other than domicile cruZ who they eventually stripped because of multiple injuries, and already had a interm champion (that defended it twice) when other situation did they strip the champion because of injury?
Tbh this distinction doesn't really matter. If he'd chosen not to vacate he would have been stripped. In any case the outcome is the same.
I did a little digging right away because I was curious. Frank Mir was stripped of his title when he got into a bad motorcycle accident back in 2004. Arlovski then won the interm championship and even defended the interm championship once. Mir wasn’t stripped right away, it wasn’t until august of 2005, 11 months after the accident, that they stripped Mir.
The UFC has never stripped a champion upon first initially getting injured. An interm title was always created, with at least one defense of the interm title being made before the UFC stripped the reigning champion and promoted the interm champion. So there we go I guess. If history is a good indicator, Jiri would not have been stripped of the title.

Naw, I look at it as a guy who vacated his belt and is now fighting a guy who was a champion at a lower weight class after moving up, because the first vacant fight was a draw and the winner of the second vacant fight got injured playing basketball, you know it's a thing called reality.

Yes since Cruz and Cain they do not allow champs to keep the belt for any extended amount of time if they are hurt. Champs, interim belts all belts. They were not going to let Jiri keep the belt until now if he wanted to.

Back