Is Alex vs. Israel one of the most epic combat sports rivalries of all time?

matrixremaster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Let's appreciate this war fellow Sherbro's

A rivalry that spans across 2 sports,

Where two champions fought in kickboxing, with Alex getting the better of Israel there 2-0

and then Israel's words insulting Alex saying he'd never amount to anything came back to haunt him when Alex chased him to the UFC and knocked hin out and took his title,

then Israel fires back and made it 1-1 in the UFC winning his title back in dramatic fashin, even though he's down 3-1 in the series,

it's 1-1 (a knockout each) in the UFC,

and now the rubber match is upon us

rumble-wwf.gif

I'd say Wanderlei / Rampage is number one. Rampage even carried on punching Silva while the ref tried to pull him off. Wand fucked him up big time in PRIDE.

Their rivalry is unmatched, imo.

It's pretty damn epic IMO. The tension in that last fight was a rare thing for a long time MMA fan like myself. I don't generally get too emotionally involved in who wins or loses a fight, but for that fight I found myself on the edge of my seat.

I'm not even particularly a fan of Israel Adesanya, but the stakes were so incredibly high for him I couldn't help but get hyped when he pulled it off.

I don't think the rubber match will be next, but I do think it is inevitable.

Reactions: TCE
It's the best striking match up in a history.

But lots of fans would rather not sure the rematch..

"Alex should go to LHW, I'd like to see him fight strickland"

1-1 [in UFC] with each scoring a KO/TKO, Looks like they will have to do another fight, unless Alex moves up to LHW. This is one trilogy fight I would actually be looking forward to....but maybe not right away.

1-1 [in UFC] with each scoring a KO/TKO, Looks like they will have to do another fight, unless Alex moves up to LHW. This is one trilogy fight I would actually be looking forward to....but maybe not right away.
Its an interesting decision he has to make. If no insta-rematch,then does he stay at MW and try to earn another shot?

I dont know if he will want to ever cut weight again if he moves up,and hes getting older.

Randy and Chuck was pretty interesting too. Goodridge and Frye was fireworks too, but not like this...

Not one on one but Saku (and his dojo initially) against the Gracie's would be the top, but that may be more of a camp rivalry.

No. Calling it a "rivalry" almost feels dubious, considering Poatan was 3-0 with 2 finishes over Izzy. I suppose Izzy finally winning one makes it feel like a rivalry, but a 4th fight wouldn't have happened in any other context. No other fighter has been down 3 fights to 0 and given another opportunity at redemption. It's a great story, but I wouldn't call it a rivalry. Rivalries are two-sided. Up until this point, I suspect it meant much more to Izzy than it did to Poatan. For Izzy, this was the guy who haunted his career. To Poatan, Izzy was probably just another guy he's beaten.

That being said, I could watch these guys fight 10 times. Every moment is filled with tension and high drama.

Randy and Chuck was pretty interesting too. Goodridge and Frye was fireworks too, but not like this...

Not one on one but Saku (and his dojo initially) against the Gracie's would be the top, but that may be more of a camp rivalry.

Yeah the Gracie Hunter beating them all down, then for one fight they changed the rules for 90 minute fight and Royce corner threw in the towel, that was epic.

I'd say Wanderlei / Rampage is number one. Rampage even carried on punching Silva while the ref tried to pull him off. Wand fucked him up big time in PRIDE.

Their rivalry is unmatched, imo.

The viciousness of their 4 fights takes the cake.

Izzy and Alex could be close, though if they complete the trilogy with a great knockout. This is for the title and it's neat that it encompasses two combat sports.

Reactions: TCE
Back