Is a BJJ match a fight or a game?

You don't feel that there is another side to this?

A man walks up to you on the street. He grabs you, lifts you up, and slams you on the ground. He jumps on top of you and starts choking the life out of you.

You didn't just get in a fight?

What about all the MMA games(?) I had, where I didn't throw a single strike, and won purely with grappling. I literally turned it into a BJJ match. Didn't get hit either. Does that turn it into an MMA match instead of an MMA fight, even though I made the other guy quit the MMA set?

This is a combat sport, but despite the combat part, you are not fighting someone? This is the most semantical bullshit and the type of people that get hung up on calling a match a fight are the type of dorks who will freak out when you talk about football and say "our team" or "us" casually. What a miserable thing to make an issue out of.

Uh yes you can. Boxers can and do take a knee to concede a ten count. Boxers clinch all the time specifically looking for a reset.

I think it depends on what happens in the event. I've seem some boxing matches that looked like a game and been in some BJJ matches that felt like a fight.

I think for the most part boxing is more dangerous and aggressive than BJJ but Judo one the same level of intensity despite being something you play.

It's a match, or a competition, but it's not a fight. If you can't get KOed, I'm not calling it a fight.

I certainly agree that a boxing match is more dangerous than a jiu jitsu fight.
I like to fight without fighting. I rarely match without matching.
Btw, I'm just playing with semantics. I don't really like punching people so I don't really like fighting.
Sport and fighting are different.
I love BJJ and compete in it frequently but a boxing match is more of a fight than a BJJ match.

In BJJ, you tap the guy out and they tap, symbolizing the fact you could have maimed them or killed them had they not tapped or escaped.

In a boxing match, even at the amateur level, the is no "symbolizing" you beat me so I give up. The closest thing would be the corner throwing in the towel or the referee stopping the contest. The likelihood of bodily harm, concussion, or getting your jaw broken/one punch KO'd is very real and likely.

Thats my reason why I consider it more of a fight than BJJ

I think we had this topic on here before. The answer I liked the best was that you use both depending on how you did. If you win you can call it a match or fight. However, if you lose, you then call it a match and say you would win in a real fight.

Is someone who gets paid to compete in BJJ matches, ie superfights, is this athlete a prize fighter?

Remember, the very first competing in combat sports for prize money were not boxers.

It's not a fight. I would say it's just a grappling match.

A fight involves punching, kicking, potential cuts and bleeding.

Special forces guys that fight ISIS probably laugh when they hear boxers and mixed martial artists call their matches fights. How can it be a fight without stabbing, shooting, eye gouging, nut smashing and the whole time your safety is overseen by a medical doctor and you can call it quits whenever you want.

It is all a fight imo, maybe not to spectators and people who are uninformed about the sport. But it is a fight do force a man to do what you want them to, and to hold them down etc.

You don't feel that there is another side to this?

A man walks up to you on the street. He grabs you, lifts you up, and slams you on the ground. He jumps on top of you and starts choking the life out of you.

You didn't just get in a fight?

What about all the MMA games(?) I had, where I didn't throw a single strike, and won purely with grappling. I literally turned it into a BJJ match. Didn't get hit either. Does that turn it into an MMA match instead of an MMA fight, even though I made the other guy quit the MMA set?

This is a combat sport, but despite the combat part, you are not fighting someone? This is the most semantical bullshit and the type of people that get hung up on calling a match a fight are the type of dorks who will freak out when you talk about football and say "our team" or "us" casually. What a miserable thing to make an issue out of.

Great way to look at it, but I was mainly referring to BJJ competition matches, not street scuffles that may exclusively feature grappling as a means of violent assault.

Even MMA matches that one fighter doesn't get a chance to land a strike, still very much a fight.

I have no problem with people calling their BJJ matches "fights" although I personally don't do that myself. I agree it is a stupid thing to argue over and those that repeatedly bring it up definitely have some kind of inferiority complex

I mainly wanted to respond to where someone referenced that boxing isn't a fight because theres no wrestling involved, which I disagreed with

What I should have said is that it's not a fight because you can't use a bazooka...<Moves>

Great way to look at it, but I was mainly referring to BJJ competition matches, not street scuffles that may exclusively feature grappling as a means of violent assault.

Even MMA matches that one fighter doesn't get a chance to land a strike, still very much a fight.

I have no problem with people calling their BJJ matches "fights" although I personally don't do that myself. I agree it is a stupid thing to argue over and those that repeatedly bring it up definitely have some kind of inferiority complex

I mainly wanted to respond to where someone referenced that boxing isn't a fight because theres no wrestling involved, which I disagreed with

Sometimes my sarcasm doesn't come across in my posts. I consider my boxing and kickboxing buddies "fighters."

It's a match, or a competition, but it's not a fight. If you can't get KOed, I'm not calling it a fight.

I've seen plenty of ko videos from bjj...

Usually self inflicted but you didn't specify.

It's a match, but it's a very good to train and learn it, because it's gonna be very useful in a fight

A little like the golf distance contest that they do or the baseball homerun derby.

It's not actually like a fight but it's still a very huge part of it

Jiu jitsu match. Judo match. Boxing match. Kickboxing match.

Mma fight.

i would call it a match. (have never ever heard anyone refer to it as a game )

bjj competitive match prohibits striking.
mma, even if it gets turned into a grappling affair, still allows - where possible - strikes.

I reserve the term fight for competitors trying to hurt each other. I dont think that is the main goal in grappling sports.

I dont mind calling stand up sports 'fights'. Its just a limited rules fight but ultimately you are trying to hurt the guy as much as possible.

As someone else said, there are multiple definitions to the word 'fight.'

When someone says they had a fight with their gf or wife, do you assume they were leg kicking each other? Or that one of them got knocked out?

I usually say match but I don't think its wrong to call it a fight. Why do people take some words or phrases so literally but not others? Do people correct others when they say that they are 'rolling?' When someone asks them to roll, do they turn into a ball like sonic the hedgehog and roll around the mat?

Back