Ippon or Wazari - Dusseldorf GP Edition

RJ Green

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Wow. That's close. I guess it's a judgement call from the ref? Initially I wanted to say ippon but after watching it a few times I'm really not too sure

Had tori thrown himself into it and rolled in such a way that he ended up on the bottom, it probably would have been ippon.

judo logic.

In real time:
giphy.gif

Bonus:
giphy.gif

Like...what? Even if it's not flat on the back, I thought we were supposed to waive up bridging

I think the makikomi is an ippon, but the o-goshi is a wazari

Wow. That's close. I guess it's a judgement call from the ref? Initially I wanted to say ippon but after watching it a few times I'm really not too sure
Without rewatching the gif, I'm confident to call a wazari.

Ippon. He's not perfectly flat on his back, but close enough to call it. Similar to this is '64

Considering that he got perfect side control after, I'd say ippon.

Based on the rules as formulated, I'd say wazari. Based on what judo should be about in my opinion, I'd say crystal clear ippon.

Based on the rules as formulated, I'd say wazari. Based on what judo should be about in my opinion, I'd say crystal clear ippon.

This. The throw is an ippon from the perspective of functional judo. That he was able to get up on his side slightly before going back flat doesn't change that for me. It's just a gimmick struggle that didn't significantly alter the substance of the throw ... it did not genuinely disrupt the throw to his back, nor did he ever get to a true side position. Ippon shouldn't be negated by what amounts to a symbolic gesture.

Btw, I think a LOT more credence should be given to the fact that he ends in full control and a lot less credence to a rolling 'ippon.' If you don't call a beautiful dominant throw like this ippon, then you are incentivizing the shitty roll-through 'ippons' that are terrible for grappling.

Ippon was awarded too easily for years but this throw was to the back with power ending in a pin position. Ippon.

Clean throw, put uke on his back, kept a dominant pinning position. Should be ippon.

Back