Instead of Interim Belts, UFC Should STRIP the Champion

How Should UFC Handle Future Situations?

• Total voters
A

AronaBeatsJones

Interim belts exist because the champion is "unavailable" to defend in the meanwhile.

When this used to happen few and far between, it could be accommodated.

Now that almost EVERY champion is out for a long break between fights, and the go-to solution is to invent an interim championship, this is no longer a feasible solution to what appears to be a rampant problem.

Just as a matter of context, in the last five years, almost every division has had an interim champion:
  • Heavyweight: Fabricio Werdum (2014, because Velasquez pulled out of a scheduled UFC 180 title defense due to injury)

• Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones (2016, because Cormier pulled out of the scheduled UFC 197 rematch due to injury)

• Middleweight: Yoel Romero / Robert Whittaker (2017, otherwise, the middleweight division has had a consistent title history)

• Welterweight: Carlos Condit (2012, because St-Pierre pulled out of a scheduled title defense against Nick Diaz due to injury)

• Lightweight: Was supposed to be Tony Ferguson / Khabib Nurmagomedov, but tiramisu a couple months ago. Another interim championship will likely be made later this year with Ferguson involved since McGregor is pursuing a non-MMA opportunity.

• Featherweight: Conor McGregor (2015, Aldo pulled out of scheduled title defense at UFC 189 due to injury), Jose Aldo (2016, while McGregor was pursuing a rematch with Nate Diaz), and Max Holloway (2016, after Aldo is promoted to undisputed champion, and a scheduled Cormier / Rumble title fight is pulled from UFC 206. There was absolutely no reason to make an interim championship aside from the fact that UFC wants every show to be headlined by a title fight.)

• Bantamweight: Renan Barao (2012, while champion Dominick Cruz was out due to injury)

• Flyweight / Women's Divisions: Clean of interim championships due to infancy of divisions.
The solution is this: if a champion is unable to defend, they should be stripped of the title so the division can keep moving in their absence. Then, they can take as long as they want to come back without holding up the division or having the mounting pressure to rush through their recovery. When the former champion is ready, they should automatically have the option to exercise an immediate title bout.

More legitimate title fights, cleaner title histories, and a practical solution to this growing problem of champions being unable to defend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if the injury is legit. They can have a UFC doctor check Bisping's knee and if it's healthy, strip him.

You'd see more stripping than in your local strip club, so no.

I'm ok with interim titles. It devalues the real belt when every other title fight is for a vacant title.

Well in the MW divisions case I don't think anyone will argue the interim champ will be a more legit champ than the real one, even though it's just a glorified number one contenders fight.

I'm a huge bisping fan and him winning the belt is the greatest mma moment for me in all time of watching.. but it's tough to defend his actions.

giphy.gif

By making an interim it sets up a big money unification bout for the future.

This is a business, not a sport. It's a brand.

If it was a sport there would be clear cut requirements for interim titles and/or when a title gets stripped and what not. Instead it's done at the whim of a bald guy.

While I agree that we can't just strip the belt if the champion comes out injuried the day before the fight we could make simple baseline rules, let me try:

- The champion is not allowed to remain as is for more than 1 injury pullout, therefore if you pulled once you have to train easier next time or risk losing the belt.
- The champion must be able to fight at least once per year, time who might be extended if UFC doesn't come up with a fight for you (of course).
- UFC will grant the champion a match asap after 1 year.

Of course Bisping would risk his injured knee for a GSP pay day that is ready and now instead of getting injured crushing a can.

so then we create paper champs?

na

strip them if they dont fight 3x a year. Guys used to fight 3x a day they can handle 3x a year.

Also strip for injury, missed weight or otherwise didnt show up for fight. No other sport give yous a break if you dont show, you forfeit. But they get immediate shot on return back at their old belt.

If they don't defend the title within 365 days of winning the title (or within 365 of the last defence) for whatever reason, strip them of the belt, and make the next fight between top 3 contenders for the vacant belt.

Yes, 365 days is quite lenient, but we don't want fighters getting stripped of the belt too often.

There are so many injuries that they should strip champs alot, and champs changing all the time is no good for the business !

There are so many injuries that they should strip champs alot, and champs changing all the time is no good for the business !
Much like PEDs, I think once there are consequences for getting injured, injuries will mysteriously reduce.

Stripping them is dumb unless it's a Cruz type situation or they just flat out refuse to defend like Conor at FW. Interim belts are fine when they are legit needed instead of handed out like crazy (Pettis vs Holloway is a recent example that was ridiculous). I like them because they actually guarantee the belt holder a shot at the real belt and they move the division along.

Back