Informal Debate : Is climate change real, is it man made, and how bads it going to get?

seiger

Posting from a UK no-go zone in Northern Ireland
Banned
Reaction score
Bit of a funny thread tonight. I dont know that much about it, but I want to.

Was hoping someone would debate format it, but so far no good. So fuck it, lets underground debate it.

Could wiki it, but id rather find out what the WR thinks.

Clearly its the biggest credible threat to our culture and planet, and I'd like to get a handle on its validity and ramifications?

canada-border.png

Climate change agenda is scam to tax the western world.

Al Gore will fly around the world in a private jet while telling you to not to drive your V8 pickup truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing is for sure. The new administration for all the good they may do for the American economy are sure as hell on the wrong path for the planet. And thats a concern everyone should share, republican or democack.

as long as the solution is not just bigger government and more taxes I am willing to hear out all potential solutions

I am a scientist, and for me the jury is still out. I can see evidence for both sides of the debate.

The time scale for this is still too short, and there are far more dangerous gases than CO2 such as SO2 which can be ejected by volcano eruptions in such high quantities that it can decrease amount of solar energy reaching the earth that the average temperature can decrease more in one or two years than with over 100 years of the amount of extra CO2 in the atmosphere can cause the average temperature to increase.

The world is a very complex and chaotic system with so many variables that anyone claiming to know for sure one way or the other, I have to become a little skeptical about what their agenda is. One thing that seems fairly clear is that the environment can rebound very fast, as witnessed after the 2008 Beijing Olympics where polluting factories were shut down for months before the event, and this in essence became one of the largest scale science projects to measure how the environment can adapt, and it was pretty amazing how much better the surrounding environment was able to rebound when pollution was ceased.

For now, I see this more as an opportunity for governments to increase their tax revenue since no good potential crisis should be wasted, whether climate change is something to worry about or not -- which I believe no one at this point can be 100% certain of its validity.

I am a scientist, and for me the jury is still out. I can see evidence for both sides of the debate.

The time scale for this is still too short, and there are far more dangerous gases than CO2 such as SO2 which can be ejected by volcano eruptions in such high quantities that it can decrease amount of solar energy reaching the earth that the average temperature can decrease more in one or two years than with over 100 years of the amount of extra CO2 in the atmosphere can cause the average temperature to increase.

The world is a very complex and chaotic system with so many variables that anyone claiming to know for sure one way or the other, I have to become a little skeptical about what their agenda is. One thing that seems fairly clear is that the environment can rebound very fast, as witnessed after the 2008 Beijing Olympics where polluting factories were shut down for months before the event, and this in essence became one of the largest scale science projects to measure how the environment can adapt, and it was pretty amazing how much better the surrounding environment was able to rebound when pollution was ceased.

For now, I see this more as an opportunity for governments to increase their tax revenue since no good potential crisis should be wasted, whether climate change is something to worry about or not -- which I believe no one at this point can be 100% certain of its validity.

oboy.gif

Efforts would be better spent trying to cope with or even capitalize on the changing climate, instead of fighting the inevitable.

Of course climate change is real lmao. The question is how much to we contribute to it? Thats the debate, and as a pretty left person on the environment a "carbox tax" would do jack shit except give money straight to certain people's pockets.

What NEEDS to be done is move towards a more sustainable/green way of life. Strict regulations on corporations: how they produce and how they deposit waste.

We as a species Need to eventually: stop polluting the oceans with plastics, waste, etc., move away from coal and natural gas, stop deforestation.

I can't imagine one day having a planet with little to no forests, ruined oceans, more forms of life extinct, etc. that would be depressing and further my opinion that us humans are parasites.

the world as a whole needs to shift towards sustainability but lets be real, it won't happen anytime soon imo.

There will mass exodus of people within the next tweety years, In such proportions the world has never seen.

Hundreds of millions live near or on coasts in some of the areas in question.

Climate change played a large party in the recent migrant crisis in Syria. That was small compared to what the world will see in the next 20 years.

Many many intelligent people see climate change and nuclear war going hand in hand

wow this thread is deader than a hillary clinton after party.

muslims are good people.

there. that should liven things up a bit.

wow this thread is deader than a hillary clinton after party.

muslims are good people.

there. that should liven things up a bit.
Some Muslims are very good people. But the religion has too many jihadists that will cut your head off in the name of Allah.

Back