Increasing Hand Speed (Punching Speed)

I have kind of a viking type build with long yet heavy limbs and I think I might get better hand speed if I let all of my lifting muscle go. Its a hard call. I don't know if I'm just making excuses because I don't cut enough or have good enough core but it just seems hard to throw these sledgehammers around.

I think ply push ups and maybe a piked plyo plus a lot of shadow boxing, working your stance and getting adequate calf and hip flexibility to quickly turn into the movement along with great cardio to summon the foot, hip and hand speed you have can make all the difference.
Try heavy single ab movements. Get back into your hamstrings and glutes a touch. Really loosen em up. Also twisting back stretches and whatever feels tight. Then do the next workout as normal with normal warmup and test the hand speed on combos.

Correct posture and a solid core is what differs the slow from the fast. Look at Cormier as an example.. very strong posture from which he can throw any strike which means he doesn't need to "prepare" to throw a kick or punch(pull back before pushing it out) but he just explodes.. He developed great striking ability really fast for coming from a wrestler-background and this is solely, imo, due to his posture. Lots of people missing out on this.
He believes he can destroy Johnson in five because he believes that he can sit in his hips longer like his cardio and preparedness will prepare him to simply react. It kind of reminds me of McGregor in some ways with variable striking and I think it make all the difference when you're basically fighting out of a gyroscope ready position. Great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back