Incline Press Help

JKEENAN7

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi

Basically I have been following 5x5 stronglifts (with some slight modifications) for some time now. However, I have realised that the upper part of my chest does not feel as developed as the lower part of my chest. Would you advise including incline press? And if so, would you recommend barbell incline press or dumbbell incline press? Also, will flys help develop this area of the chest or shall I just add incline press?

Thanks

Hi

Basically I have been following 5x5 stronglifts (with some slight modifications) for some time now. However, I have realised that the upper part of my chest does not feel as developed as the lower part of my chest. Would you advise including incline press? And if so, would you recommend barbell incline press or dumbbell incline press? Also, will flys help develop this area of the chest or shall I just add incline press?

Thanks

I would recommend not worrying about your "upper" and "lower" chest.

i hate flys.

i think the are useless.

i were to add a chest exercise i would do dips, they are delicious.

or, go to the incline if you feel like it. try the barbell i say.

but man...dips.

If thats what you want go ahead, I don't see how it can't hurt. Just have it as an assistance movement. As long as you have your main lifts out of the way, eating well (surplus to grow), then accessory work is fine.

i hate flys.

i think the are useless.

i were to add a chest exercise i would do dips, they are delicious.

or, go to the incline if you feel like it. try the barbell i say.

but man...dips.
For strength / powerlifting probably. If you're a bodybuilder or doing it for aesthetics, they have their place. I doubt DB and BB press work can shorten the chest as well as flyes / pec dec

Dips are great, but they're more emphasis on the lower instead of upper chest I think.

If thats what you want go ahead, I don't see how it can't hurt. Just have it as an assistance movement. As long as you have your main lifts out of the way, eating well (surplus to grow), then accessory work is fine.

For strength / powerlifting probably. If you're a bodybuilder or doing it for aesthetics, they have their place. I doubt DB and BB press work can shorten the chest as well as flyes / pec dec

Dips are great, but they're more emphasis on the lower instead of upper chest I think.

what do you mean by flyes and pec dec shorten the chest?

what do you mean by flyes and pec dec shorten the chest?
The area closer to the sternum. Flyes, crossovers, pec dec, etc hits at angles where its not really hit as in depth from barbell or dumbbell press. DB press if done with a full range of motion, squeezed at the top can help, but not as much as the others.

Again, if strength is the priority, it doesn't really matter.

No lie, I lift mostly for the asthetics. I like being strong, but I like looking good even more.

No lie, I lift mostly for the asthetics. I like being strong, but I like looking good even more.
Nothing wrong with that, different stroke for different folks. Besides, if you're consistent and do things properly you won't be weak. Sure, maybe not powerlifting strong, but you'll still have decent lifts. Guys I know who are active in bodybuilding have 500ish deadlifts and over a 315ish bench press, I'd be happy with that. Ratio wise / p4p strength won't be the same as a competitive powerlifting or olympic lifter, but that still good in my books.

I'm primarily a mma, muay thai guy, and those numbers might be average for a strength athelete 2-5 years in, but its still money to me

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that, different stroke for different folks. Besides, if you're consistent and do things properly you won't be weak. Sure, maybe not powerlifting strong, but you'll still have decent lifts. Guys I know who are active in bodybuilding have 500ish deadlifts and over a 315ish bench press, I'd be happy with that. Ratio wise / p4p strength won't be the same as a competitive powerlifting or olympic lifter, but that still good in my books.

I'm primarily a mma, muay thai guy, and those numbers are might be average for a strength athelete 2-5 years in, but its still money to me
I'll never be a power lifter. I am not a big guy. I train MMA though, so it's helpful to be strong for that. I just want my body to do whatever I ask of it. I want to be able to hike 15 miles a day, or go rock climbing, or do a 5k on a whim. I'm about to hit 40 and I don't take those things for granted lol

Last edited:
if you want to mix it up a bit and hit the 'inner' and 'upper' chest more try narrow grip BP. i usually include it as an assistance exercise ~5x10@~60%1RM.

i find it helps my bench lock-out no end too- plus tricep gains
dips on the whole are superior i think.

Back