Important technical aspect about Conor vs Khabib

I've seen many people trying to say that this should be an easy night for Conor since Khabib runs straight in for takedowns with no guard of any kind and Conor can hit him on the way in. However, this probably won't be the case.

When Conor senses a takedown threat, he usually turns to defensive wrestling only, not striking.
Q2RtkDLhY3Fvi.gif

Mendes-takedown-McGregor-1.gif

It's understandable, why would you try to strike if you're going to gamble getting taken down?

Another point is, Khabib usually goes for single leg attempts first before getting a better grip on you. He gets you to strike at his head so your hips become open for takedowns.
giphy.gif

ShimmeringBrilliantDunnart.gif

We all know Conor's striking is probably better than Khabibs, but Khabib feeds off strikers who attack his chin.

A good tactic Conor could use is to attack Khabibs body with punches, to lower his guard for takedown defense while still being able to strike Khabib.
Shalorus-Nurmagomedov-2.gif

Just do this exactly, except for the last part.

Anyways, hopefully this helps when trying to figure out who will win/betting. I'm not biased, this fight could go either way, I'm just pointing out patterns between the 2 fighters.
Khabib can easily win. This can look like Alverez all over again or a complete mauling.

Khabib fans don't like to mention that the one time khabib got tagged he wasnt shooting for tds or trying to counter. He was back straight up trying to to cover up.

Whatever it is what it is and the 6th isnt far away. All I can say is if mcgregor wins its gonna be about how much an untested can Khabib is.

I still don't see Khabib as a worthy opponent. He has no business sharing the octagon with Conor. Bring on El Cucuy... now that would have me intrigued.
Will you still feel the same way after he is brutalized before quiting?

I think a technical aspect everyone keeps missing is that Khabibs best standing weapon is his jab, and the counter for this is Conor’s left cross. Which also happens to be Conor’s most effective standing weapon.

Conor being southpaw might also cause comfort issues for Khabib standing, as well timing issues closing distance. I am sure this isn’t going to be lost on Conor, and will work movement in an effort to maximize this advantage. Say what you want about the him, Conor is a very intelligent fighter.

How Khabib handles everything being backwards against an excellent striker is going to be the determining factor in the outcome of this fight.
The downside of the opposite stance matchup for Conor is his lead leg will be closer to Khabib. This makes it easier for Khabib to snatch it. That said, I got a hunch that Conor will over achieve (in the opinion of many) in this fight.... again.

I think a technical aspect everyone keeps missing is that Khabibs best standing weapon is his jab, and the counter for this is Conor’s left cross. Which also happens to be Conor’s most effective standing weapon.

Conor being southpaw might also cause comfort issues for Khabib standing, as well timing issues closing distance. I am sure this isn’t going to be lost on Conor, and will work movement in an effort to maximize this advantage. Say what you want about the him, Conor is a very intelligent fighter.

How Khabib handles everything being backwards against an excellent striker is going to be the determining factor in the outcome of this fight.

Literally every clip and breakdown OP posted was using cases of Khabib fighting southpaws (RDA & MJ).

Can anyone list an example of someone knocking an opponent out with a punch by catching him coming in for a takedown? All the examples I can think of were with knees and none of them were recent.

Honestly, like all grappler vs striker contests this fight will ultimatly hinge on the takedown.

Khabib is iron chin..

ActiveDisfiguredBluebottlejellyfish-size_restricted.gif
Yi Long is the monks name in this clip. Legend has it he has been hit with an aluminum bat during a robbery attempt and ate it like it was nothing, and the robbers fled the scene after the non reaction he showed from the ball bat hitting his skull

Can anyone list an example of someone knocking an opponent out with a punch by catching him coming in for a takedown? All the examples I can think of were with knees and none of them were recent.

Honestly, like all grappler vs striker contests this fight will ultimatly hinge on the takedown.

Frankie ko'd Maynard with an uppercut.

Yi Long is the monks name in this clip. Legend has it he has been hit with an aluminum bat during a robbery attempt and ate it like it was nothing, and the robbers fled the scene after the non reaction he showed from the ball bat hitting his skull
I don't care if that story is true or not, I am just happy with your usage of "Legend has it" sir
<Goldie11>

As much as I dislike McGregor, he CAN win this fight IF Khabib has a bad gameplan or comes into the fight sloppy.

Alvarez did nothing to set up his TDs, shot in on McGregor sloppy and started losing faith once he wasn't able to secure a TD on McGregor.

Khabib is a different animal. Khabib's gonna constantly go for TDs until McGregor can't defend them anymore.

Stopped reading at Conor probably has better striking<{clintugh}>

As much as I dislike McGregor, he CAN win this fight IF Khabib has a bad gameplan or comes into the fight sloppy.

Alvarez did nothing to set up his TDs, shot in on McGregor sloppy and started losing faith once he wasn't able to secure a TD on McGregor.

Khabib is a different animal. Khabib's gonna constantly go for TDs until McGregor can't defend them anymore.
No one can spam failed TDs over and over without consequences. I just can't believe if he fails 5-6 TDs in a row that he will just keep trying while tiring himself out. I could obviously be wrong, just my opinion.

No one can spam failed TDs over and over without consequences. I just can't believe if he fails 5-6 TDs in a row that he will just keep trying while tiring himself out. I could obviously be wrong, just my opinion.
Have you not seen Khabib fight? He constantly goes for TDs no matter what. It's inevitable, he's bound to get one.

Have you not seen Khabib fight? He constantly goes for TDs no matter what. It's inevitable, he's bound to get one.
I believe Khabib will get Conor down. But I'm saying if Conor manages to easily stuff 5-6 tds in a row in the first I predict Khabib will slow down and pick his spots. Sometimes he can be reckless with his attempts. Khabib wins imo. But I don't see it being easy for him.

I don't care if that story is true or not, I am just happy with your usage of "Legend has it" sir
<Goldie11>
Lmao, I'll just leave the mystery up to you to belive what you want brotha. But for any proof you need, look at that gif <{jackyeah}>

Yeh, I just can't imagine it... even if Conor has a poor performance.
You can't imagine giving a fighter credit because he beat your favorite fighter? Conor could be on his A game and it's going to look like he's not even trying to get up.

You can't imagine giving a fighter credit because he beat your favorite fighter? Conor could be on his A game and it's going to look like he's not even trying to get up.

Khabib hasn't beaten any of my favourite fighters... not one <45>

Back