IMMAF 2017 World [Amateur] Championships 2017 Preview

mattandbenny

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So on Monday the 2017 IMMAF World Amateur Championships kicks off. This the biggest and best tournament in amateur MMA with 254 athletes from 49 different countries scheduled to compete accross 14 different weight classes (9 male & 5 female). This number is expected to drop slightly with some late pull outs. I've really enjoyed these the past couple of years and this year you can watch the action via the BahrainTV app on IOS & Android.

I've got all the details saved on a spreadsheet so (hopefully) the screenshot of all the entrants appears below. Former champions in gold (Click to enlarge):

IMMAF_Entrants_2017.png

Also, i have made my own seeds for each ranking along with a 'dark horse' for the category. These rankings are not official and are based on a mixture of their records, history fighting for IMMAF, background and any videos that are available.

My unofficial rankings (Click to Enlarge):
IMMAF_Rankings_2017.png

Some of these divisions are rammed and can't wait to watch it over the next week!

Day 1 (Round of 32) Recap
So Day 1 is over and the round of 32 fights complete. Not managed to watch any of it due to work but some very interesting results and some surprises.

Biggest surprise is probably that Nikolay Nikolov (10-0) lost in the first round to Makhir Aliyev (11-2). It was one of the toughest first round draws Nikolov could have got but still a surprise to see the 2016 & 2017 European Champion out so early, especially losing via TKO.

Another former champion in Elizier Kubanza (3-0) is out in the round of 32. The reigning African Open 2017 Champion lost via a split decision to Ireland's Fionn Healy-Magwa (6-2).

The third former champion out is Sweden's 2016 European Open Champion - Daniel Schalander (21-2). He lost to Kazakhstan's Bekzat Zhassiya (11-3) - ironically the same man he lost to in this year's Asian Open Championship.

Toma Walton (9-4) who is USA's big hope to lift the Light Heavyweight crown was also a surprise loser in the round of 32 getting stopped in 48 seconds by Bachir Ricardo (3-1) of Lebanon.

Another American hope to lose early was Featherweight Orlando Jiminez (7-2) who lost to the surprise star of last year's World Championship - Mexico's Jonathan Ortega (2-1).

In one of the best matched bouts of the last 32 between 2 IMMAF veterans, Jose Teixeira (22-4) came out on top as he submitted Ziiad Sadailly (15-8) in round 2.

Other small surprises were seeing Joakim Jankovic (7-0), Alex Elsey (11-3) & Rungrot Posi (8-1) all exit.

Day 2 (Round of 16) Preview
Tomorrow we move on to the round of 16 and see for the first time some more former champions who were given bye's in the first round. There are also some cracking fights in the round of 16.

The most intriguing fight for me is at Bantamweight, where Kazakhstan's 2017 Asian Open Champion Olzhas Moldagaliyev (10-1) takes on USA's 18 year old super prospect Chase Boutwell (6-0). In some ways it's a shame these to have met so early in the tournament but in in another way it is an awesome fight. In my preview i had these as the #1 & #2 guys at Bantamweight.

The second fight i am most looking forward to is at Flyweight, where the reigning European Open Champion Sanan Safarli (9-1) of Azerbijan takes on another young American prospect Sean Stebbins (7-0). Again this is my #1 & #3 ranked guys so i would have preferred to see them meet later in the tournament.

At Light Heavyweight, Sweden's 2017 European Open Champion Anton Turkalj (7-1) kicks off his World Championship bid against India's undefeated Ajit Negi (4-0).

At Middleweight, Italy's 2017 European Open Champion Dario Bellandi (7-0) has his first fight of the tournament as he locks horns with New Zealand's Ezekiel Wetere (0-0).

At Lightweight, the 2017 Asian Open & 2016 African Open Champion Tobias Harila (22-7) of Sweden gets his tournament underway against Irelands Cieran Clark (10-8).

At Bantamweight, the 2016 European Champion Renato Vidovic (19-9) kicks off his tournament against Brazilian Carlos Veras (3-0), who won via 2nd round Submission in his first fight.

At Flyweight, the 2016 European Champion & 2016 African Open Champion Serdar Atlas (10-7) has his first fight of the tournament when he fights Japan's Hiroyuki Sigiura (3-1).

Selected Last 16 Fights:
LHW: Anton Turkalj (7-1) vs. Ajit Negi (4-0)
WW: Sam Slater (10-2) vs. Zhan Kenzhebayev (20-2)
WW: Benjamin Bennett (13-3) vs. Pat Hamer (5-0)
LW: Bogdan Grad (9-2) vs. Jose Teixeira (23-4)
LW: Jakub Tichota (25-6) vs. Jack Maguire (10-2)
FW: Dylan Lielke (13-1) vs. Hoger Salih (9-5)
BW: Renato Vidovic (19-9) vs. Carlos Veras (3-0)
BW: Olzhas Moldagaliyev (10-1) vs. Chase Boutwell (6-0)
BW: Valeriy Palatov (11-2) vs. Austin Lynch (8-4)
FLW: Sanan Safarli (9-1) vs. Sean Stebbins (7-0)
FLW: Shiva Raj (16-0) vs. Irfan Ahmed (4-0)

Day 2 (Round of 16) Recap

Day 2 is over and another bucket load of fights are over with, and with that the quarter final line ups are set for all the weight classes. I'll start off with a quick round up of some of the big results and any shocks.

In the awesome Bantamweight fight mentioned in the prior post, experience prevailed as Kazakhstan's 2017 Asian Open Champion Olzhas Moldagaliyev (10-1) defeated USA's top prospect Chase Boutwell (6-0) via unanimous decision.

USA's other top prospect had more success however as Sean Stebbins (7-0) progressed to the quarter finals of the Flyweight bracket as he won an extremely close split decision against the 2017 European Open Champion Sanan Safarli (9-1) of Azerbijan.

Reigning European Open LHW Champion Anton Turkalj (7-1) of Sweden made short work of India's Ajit Negi (4-0) by subitting him in under 1 minute. As did reigning European Open MW Champion Dario Bellandi (7-0) who submitted Ezekiel Wetere (0-0) early into round 2. 2016 European Champion Serdar Atlas (10-7) moved into the Flyweight quarter finals with a comfortable decision victory over Hiroyuki Sigiura (3-1).

A couple more former champions were knocked out in the last 16 however. 2017 Asian Open & 2016 African Open Champion Tobias Harila (22-7) of Sweden lost out to Ireland's Cieran Clark (10-8) via unanimous decision. Sweden lost another former champion when 2016 European Open Champion Renato Vidovic (19-9) lost via unanimous decision to Brazil's Carlos Veras (3-0), who looks to be the dark horse of the Bantamweight bracket.

Malaysia's big medal hope Theebaan Govindasamy (12-3) was submitted in the very first round by Joseph Luciano (8-5) of Australia in the Middleweight bracket.

Sam Slater (10-2) lost via unanimous decision to Kazakhstan's reigning Asian Open Champion Zhan Kenzhebayev (20-2) in an excellent match up at welterweight.

Jose Teixeira (24-4) of Luxembourg & PK Zadeh (8-1) of UK both continued their excellent form in the lightweight bracket when they stopped Bogdan Grad (9-2) & Neimat Asadov (12-3) respectively. The 2 now meet in the quarter finals in which should be an excellent fight. Also at welterweight Jakub Tichota (25-6) was too much for Irelandz Jack Maguire (10-2).

In the Featherweight bracket fan favourite Jonathan Ortega (3-1) suffered a shock defeat to Finland's Joel Arloenen (4-3). Canada's Dylan Lielke (13-1) looks one to beat at Featherweight as he picked up his 2nd consecutive TKO victory by defeating IMMAF veteral Hoger Salih (9-5).

Russia's Valeriy Palatov (11-2) got a late submission to knock out Ireland's Austin Lynch (8-4). He faces the aforementioned Olzhas Moldagaliyev in the quarter finals in which should be a barnburner.

In a hotly contested rivalry at flyweight India's top medal hope Shiva Raj (16-0) won an extremely tight split decision over Pakistan's Irfan Ahmed (4-0). He faces a huge step up in competition in the quarter finals when he fights Kazakhstan's reigning Asian Open champion Yernaz Mussabek (16-4).

Day 3 (Quarter Finals) Preview

Day 3 tomorrow and we are onto the quarter final's already! Each day there are more and more excellent fights and i will preview my favourite fights from each weight class.

At Middleweight reigning European Open Champion Dario Bellandi (8-0) takes on UK's Christian Leroy Duncan (7-2). Both men have looked great so far and this should be a cracking close fight. Another great fight in the middleweight quarters is Australia's Andrew Stanway (8-2) against ~Sweden's Khaled Laallam (10-1). Between them they are 8-2 under the IMMAF banner - Stanway finished runner up at last year's World Championships & Laallam finished runner up in this year's European Open so this should be a great fight also.

At Welterweight reigning Asian Open Champion Zhan Kenzhebayev (20-2) takes on Belgium's prospect Isakov Issa (9-2). Between them these men are 10-1 under the IMMAF banner and should be a very close fight. Another awesome fight at Welterweight is USA's gold medal hope Benjamin Bennett (13-3) versus this year's European Open runner up Oskar Biller (17-9).

Lightweight features 3 cracking fights - firstly Jose Teixeira (24-4) who has already defeated 2 top prospects, takes on PK Zadeh (8-1) of the UK who has got 2 excellent wins so far. In the bottom half of the draw there is a battle of North America as another of USA's gold medal hopes Quitin Thomas (10-2) takes on Canada's John Nguyen (7-4). Also in the bracket the experienced Czech fighter Jakub Tichota (24-6) takes on Albania's Ermal Hadribeaj (10-2).

At Featherweight the 4 favourites to progress to the semi finals will be Bahrain's Asian Open Champion Abdulmanap Magomedov (10-1), Canada's Dylan Lielke (16-1), USA's David Evans (12-5) & reigning European Champion Delyan Georgiev (12-0) of Bulgaria.

The big fight at Bantamweight is between Kazkhstan's Asian Open Champion Olzhas Moldagaliyev (11-1) & Russia's Valeriy Palatov (12-2). The winner of this fight will be the big favourite to take the Bantamweight crown. Also Brazil's Carlos Veras (4-0) who has impressed hugely takes on Albania's Florian Doskja (6-1).

Flyweight's most interesting fight on paper comes in the form of another of Kazakhstan's Asian Open Champions Yernaz Mussabek (16-4) as he takes on India's best medal hope Shiva Raj (17-0). This is a huge step up in competition for Raj. The winner will likely fight USA's top prospect Sean Stebbins (8-0).

The best of the women's fights comes at Flyweight where 2x European Open Champion Alexandra Kovacs (9-0) gets her tournament underway with a tough fight against Russia's Gulmira Nugmanova (4-1), who won comfortably in her round of 16 fight.

Selected Quarter Final Fights
HW: Irman Smajic (13-4) vs. Delano Human (2-0)
LHW: Anton Turkalj (14-1) vs. Thomas Knudsen (5-2)
MW: Dario Bellandi (8-0) vs. Christian Leroy Duncan (7-2)
MW: Andrew Stanway (8-2) vs. Khalid Laallam (10-1)
WW: Zhan Kenzhebayev (21-2) vs. Isakov Issa (8-2)
WW: Benjamin Bennett (14-3) vs. Oskar Biller (17-9)
LW: Jose Teixeira (24-4) vs. PK Zadeh (8-1)
LW: Quitin Thomas (10-2) vs. John Nguyen (7-4)
LW: Jakub Tichota (26-6) vs. Elmal Hadribeaj (10-2)
FW: Abdulmanap Magomedov (10-1) vs. Merey Zubanov (13-5)
FW: David Evans (12-5) vs. Bekzat Zhassiya (13-3)
FW: Delyan Georgiev (12-0) vs. Ali Wasuk (6-2)
BW: Carlos Veras (4-0) vs. Floris Doskja (6-1)
BW: Olzhas Moldagaliyev (11-1) vs. Valeriy Palatov (12-2)
FLW: Serdar Atlas (11-7) vs. Dastan Zhakypbekov (6-1)
FLW: Yernaz Mussabek (16-4) vs. Shiva Raj (17-0)
W FLW: Alexandra Kovacs (9-0) vs. Gulmira Nugmanova (4-1)

Last edited:
Awesome reading these previews! I may be biased but I think Björn Lúkas Haraldsson from Iceland has done an amazing job so far. Three fights, all finishes in the first round. Submission after 2:08, TKO after 1:32 and another submission today at 1:16. He just keeps finishing them faster..

Awesome reading these previews! I may be biased but I think Björn Lúkas Haraldsson from Iceland has done an amazing job so far. Three fights, all finishes in the first round. Submission after 2:08, TKO after 1:32 and another submission today at 1:16. He just keeps finishing them faster..

Yea After Darian Weeks of USA lost i think Haraldsson is definately the favourite to win the MW bracket. The guy is so well rounded - Dude is Judo Black Belt, Tae Kwon Do Black Belt & BJJ Purple Belt at just 22 years old. Though Christian Leroy Duncan of Team UK has surprised me as well and got 3 excellent wins in the MW bracket too.

Will do a quick-ish review today as not got as much time as the other days.

Day 3 (Quarter Finals) Review
Big surprise at MW as my favourite to win gold - Darian Weeks (11-1) of Team USA lost to Australia's Joseph Luciano (9-5) who improves to 7-2 under the IMMAF banner. Former Champion Dario Bellandi (8-0) is also out as Team UK's Christian Leroy Duncan (7-2) continued his hot streak to defeat him.

Isakov Issa (9-2) won the excellent battle between himself and Asian Open Champion Zhan Kenzhebayev (21-2) via unanimous decision. Issa fights USA's Benjamin Bennett (15-3) in the semi's and whoever wins that should win the tournament in my opinion.

Jakub Tichota (26-4) was a surpise loser at Lightweight losing to Albania's Ermal Hadribeaj (10-2). Also at Lightweight Jose Teixeira picked up his thirs consecutive submission over UK's PK Zadeh (8-1).

Canadian favourite Dylan Lielke (14-1) suffered a surprise defeat at Featherweight as he was stopped by Joel Arloenen (5-3) of Finland.

At Bantamwreight Asian Open Champion Olzhas Moldagaliyev (11-1) of Kazakhstan won the battle of Eastern Europe as he defeated Russia's Valeriy Palatov (12-2). Also at Bantamweight Brazil's prospect Carlos Veras (4-0) was knocked out by Albania's Floris Doskja (6-1).

Asian Open Champion Yernaz Mussabek (16-4) was too much for India's Shiva Raj (17-0) as he won via 2nd round submission.

In the women's divions 2 former champions successfully kicked off their campaign as Joanne Doyle (6-1) and Alexandra Kovacs (9-0) both won at Bantamweight & Flyweight respectively.

------

Day 4 (Semi Finals) Preview
Instead of the usual long preview i will just pick my top 5 fights from the semi's:

1) Khalid Laallam [Swe] (10-1) vs. Christian Leroy Duncan [Uk] (8-2) at Middleweight. IMMAF Veteran Khalid Laallam was runner up at the 2017 European Championship's and receieved a bye in his quarter final fight when opponent Andrew Stanaway was not cleared. Christian Leroy Duncan has 3 wins this championship already over 3 excellent fighters - My dark horse Casaniel John (0-0), Kazakhstan's Madi Dosmukhametov (13-3) & reigning European Champion Dario Bellandi (8-0). Prediction: Duncan via UD.

2) Benjamin Bennett [Usa] (15-3) vs. Isakov Issa [Bel] (10-2) at Welterweight. 2 IMMAF veterans clash here - both guys are 5-1 under the IMMAF banner and have strolled through to the semi's. Both fighters came though tough quarter final fights as Bennett defeated Oskar Biller (17-9) and Issa defeated Asian Open Champion Zhan Kenzhebayev (21-2). Prediction: Issa via UD.

3) Delyan Georgiev [Bul] (13-0) vs. David Evans [Usa] (12-5) at Featherweight. Undefeated Delyan Georgiev is the reigning European Champion and is 8-0 under the IMMAF banner. He is a dominating wrestler and has not looked like losing, overcoming the tough Ali Wasuk (6-2) in the Quarters. America's David Evans finished runner up in last year's World Championships and will be a tough test for the undefeated Georgiev. Prediction: Georgiev via UD.

4) Yernaz Mussabek [Kaz] (17-4) vs. Sean Stebbins [Usa] (10-0) at Flyweight. This is arguably my favourite fight of the semi finals. Mussabek has looked unstoppable so far in his IMMAF career going 5-0 with 5 submissions. He took no time to hand Shiva Raj (17-0) his first defeat in the Quarters. He faces arguably Team Usa's top prospect Sean Stebbins. The undefeated Stebbins has already knocked out the European Champion Sanan Safarli (8-1) i nthe last 16 and this is a super test between 2 top amateurs. Prediction: Stebbins via UD.

5) Alexandra Kovacs [Hun] (9-0) vs. Michele Oliveira [Bra] (3-0) at Women's Flyweight. The best women's match up so far by a mile, 2x European Champion & undefeated Hungarian Alexandra Kovacs takes on Brazil's undefeated prospect Michele Oliveira. Oliveira has made it look easy so far this tournament stopping both opponents and will be Kovacs toughest test to date by far. Prediction: Kovacs via UD.

------

Full Draw

Super Heavyweight

Atanas Krastanov (4-1) vs. Tolga Polat (2-2)
Marcin Kalata (5-3) vs. Damian Visenjak (0-3)

Heavyweight
Irman Smajic (14-4) vs. Cameron Dempsey (2-0)
Lev Vins (10-1) vs. Ryan Spillane (3-6)

Light Heavyweight

Anton Turkalj (15-1) vs. Pavel Pahomenko (2-1)
Pawel Zakrzewski (7-3) vs. Murtaza Talha Ali (3-0)

Middleweight
Bjorn Lukas Haraldsson (5-0) vs. Joseph Luciano (10-5)
Khaled Laallam (10-1) vs. Christian Leroy Duncan (8-2)

Welterweight
Cody Barnwell (5-1) vs. Sola Axel (3-0)
Benjamin Bennett (15-3) vs. Isakov Issa (10-2)

Lightweight
Jose Teixeira (25-4) vs. Vitali Andruhovic (3-0)
Quitin Thomas (11-2) vs. Ermal Hadribeaj (11-2)

Featherweight
Abdulmanap Magomedov (11-1) vs. Joel Arolainen (6-3)
Delyan Georgiev (13-0) vs. David Evans (12-5)

Bantamweight
Florian Doskja (7-1) vs. Gamzat Magomedov (4-1)
Olzhas Moldagaliyev (12-1) vs. Dinislam Jetpissov (8-1)

Flyweight
Serdar Atlas (12-7) vs. Hussain Abdulla (15-6)
Yernaz Mussabek (17-4) vs. Sean Stebbins (10-0)

Women's Lightweight
Kaycee Blake (1-0) vs. Fatema Bureshaid (0-0)
Julia Dorny (5-4) vs. Gase Sanita (0-0)

Women's Featherweight
Courtney McRudden (0-0) vs. Nicole Schnalzer (0-1)
Fabiana Giampa (1-0) vs. Nora Nagy (0-1)

Women's Bantamweight
Karolina Hulkko (1-0) vs. Manon Fiorot (2-2)
Joanne Doyle (7-1) vs. Chamia Chabbi (4-4)

Women's Flyweight
Alexandra Kovacs (10-0) vs. Michele Oliveira (3-0)
Anette Osterburg (11-4) vs. Dannie Nielan (4-2)

Women's Strawweight
Hannah Dawson (2-0) vs. Sara Cova (1-1)
Ayan Tursyn (5-2) vs. Anna Astvik (4-3)

------

Predictions of winners of each category
Super Heavyweight: Atanas Krastanov
Heavyweight: Irman Smajic
Light Heavyweight: Anton Turkalj
Middleweight: Bjorn Lukas Haraldsson
Welterweight: Isakov Issa
Lightweight: Quitin Thomas
Featherweight: Abdulmanap Magomedov
Bantamweight: Olzhas Moldagaliyev
Flyweight: Sean Stebbins
Womens Lightweight: Julia Dorny
Womens Featherweight: Fabiana Giampa
Womens Bantamweight: Joanne Doyle
Womens Flyweight: Alexandra Kovacs
Womens Strawweight: Hannah Dawson

Last edited:
Semi finals day over and we have a day's break until finals day saturday!

Day 4 (Semi Finals) Review
I'll start off by going through the results of my 5 favourite fights from yesterdays preview.

In the Middleweight bracket Khalid Laallam (10-1) moved into the final with a decision victory against the in form Uk fighter Christian Leroy Duncan (8-2). In the final he meets Iceland's Bjorn Lukas Haraldsson (6-0), who has steamrolled all 4 opponents this tournament in the very first round.

At Welterweight, Usa's Benjamin Bennett (15-3) was just too much for Belgium's impressive Isakov Issa (8-2), winning via Unanimous Decision. In the finals Bennett will fight the dart horse of the bracket Sola Axel (4-0) who has come from nowhere to pick up 4 straight wins and make the final.

Featherweight European Champion Delyan Georgiev (14-0) increased his IMMAF record to 9-0 with a unanimous decision victory over Usa's David Evans (12-5). In the final he meets Joel Arloenen who gained his 3rd huge scalp of the tournament when he upset Asian Open Champion Abdulmanap Magomedov (11-1). Arloenon has also beaten Dylan Lielke (14-1) & Jonathan Ortega (3-1) this tournament so this should bea great final.

In my favourite fight of the semi finals, 2 of the top amateur flyweights in the world collided and fought to an incredibly close split decision - Kazakhstan's Asian Open champion Yernaz Mussabek (18-4) just edged out Usa's prospect Sean Stebbins (10-0). In the final he meets former European Champion Serdar Atlas (13-7) who improved to 10-3 under IMMAF and is on a 8 fight winning streak.

In the Women;s Flyweight division there was a slight upset as Brazil's Michele Oliveira (4-0) handed 2x European Champion Alexandra Kovacs (10-0) her first defeat. She faces Ireland's Dannie Nelson (5-2) in the final.

In the Heavyweight division IMMAF poster boy Irman Smajic (14-4) submitted Australia's Cameron Dempsey (2-0) to make his 6th IMMAF final. He faces arguably his toughest test to date in Kazakhstan's Lev Vins (10-1) who submitted Ryan Spillane (3-6) early in the first round.

At Light heavyweight a couple of IMMAF debutants will battle for the title - Murtaza Taoha Ali (3-0) got his 4th straight finish this tournament as he blasted Pawel Zakrzewski (7-3). Ali faces Pavel Pahomenko (3-1) in the final who submitted European Champion Anton Turkalj (15-1) in the first round.

At Lightweight USA's Quitin Thomas (11-2) was too much for Albania's Ermal Hadribeaj (8-2) as he won a comfortable Unanimous Decision. He faces the dark horse of the Lightweight bracked in Belarus' Vitali Andruhovic (3-0) who upset favourite Jose Teixeira (25-4) via a close Split Decision.

Bantamwieght's Olzhas Moldagaliyev (12-1) recieved a bye through to the final after his opponent was not medically cleared to fight. He moves straight into the final and faces Bahrain's Gamzat Magomedov (4-1) who bested Florian Doskja (7-1) of Albania.

In other women's fights, European Champion Joanne Doyle (7-1) was surprisingly knocked out of tournament by Chamia Chabbi (5-4) of Finland.

Day 5 (Finals) Draw
Super Heavyweight: Atanas Krastanov (4-1) vs. Marcin Kalata (6-3)
Heavyweight: Irman Smajic (15-4) vs. Lev Vins (11-1)
Light Heavyweight: Murtaza Talha Ali (4-0) vs. Pavel Pahomenko (3-1)
Middleweight: Bjorn Lukas Haraldsson (6-0) vs. Khaled Laallam (11-1)
Welterweight: Benjamin Bennett (16-3) vs. Sola Axel (4-0)
Lightweight: Quitin Thomas (12-2) vs. Vitali Andruhovic (4-0)
Featherweight: Delyan Georgiev (14-0) vs. Joel Arolainen (7-3)
Bantamweight: Olzhas Moldagaliyev (12-1) vs. Gamzat Magomedov (5-1)
Flyweight: Yernaz Mussabek (18-4) vs. Serdar Atlas (13-7)
Women's Lightweight: Kaycee Blake (2-0) vs. Gase Sanita (1-0)
Women's Featherweight: Fabiana Giampa (2-0) vs. Courtney McRudden (1-0)
Women's Bantamweight: Chamia Chabbi (5-4) vs. Manon Fiorot (3-2)
Women's Flyweight: Michele Oliveira (4-0) vs. Dannie Nielan (5-2)
Women's Strawweight: Hannah Dawson (3-0) vs. Anna Astvik (5-3)

I'll do a preview & predictions post tomorrow.

So yesterday was the finals a
nd there was a bunch of close fights - all but 1 went to a decision. The fights were a bit later in the day so i managed to catch most of the fights after i got home from work. I'll do a quick review of the fights and a round up of the winners etc.

Super Heavyweight
Atanas Krastanov [Bul] (4-1) def. Marcin Kalata [Pol] (6-3) via Unanimous Decision

This wasn't the best fight - a bit of a typical slow sloppy SHW fight but in the end Krastanov's wrestling was too much. He dominated Kalata in the first on the mat and then rounds 2 & 3 were much slower as both men gassed, but the odd takedown by Krastanov helped him get the win.

Heavyweight
Irman Smajic [Swe] (15-4) def. Lev Vins [Kaz] (10-1) via Unanimous Decision

This looked like man vs boy - Smajic must have had 40 pounds on Vins, who should be at Light Heavyweight. Smajic was just too big everywhere and wasn't troubled by Vins at all really. He mixed in takedowns & boxing to take a comfortable but unspectacular victory. I expect Smajic will turn pro following this tournament.

Light Heavyweight
Murtaza Talha Ali [Bah] (4-0) def. Pavel Pahomenko [Bel] (3-1) via Unanimous Decision

Murtaza Ali is a huge LHW and tossed Pahomenko to the mat pretty much when he wanted. Pahomenko was crafty on the mat however and stopped Ali doing much damage, however he never really mounted much offence of his own. Ali wildly wings his punches but he had the more effective boxing than Pahomenko as well.

Middleweight
Khaled Laallam [Swe] (11-1) def. Bjorn Lukas Haraldsson [Ice] (6-0) via Unanimous Decision

This was a great little fight. Lallam's wrestling was the difference in this fight as he took Haraldsson down when he wanted. Haraldsson has an excellent bottom game and has Laallam in trouble several times on the ground but couldn't lock up a solid submission. On the feet Haraldsson had the flashier strikes but Laallam landed the more effective punches. It was a fun back and forth fight but Laallam the deserved winner in the end.

Welterweight
Benjamin Bennett [USA] (15-4) def. Sola Axel [Fra] (4-0) via Unanimous Decision

Young Frenchman Sola Axel was game in this fight and gave it his all, but Bennet's experience was too much in the end as he mixed in his boxing & takedowns to win a reasonably comfortable decision. The first round was extremely close but Sola Axel tired in the latter 2 rounds and Benjamin took control.

Lightweight
Quitin Thomas [USA] (12-2) def. Vitali Andruhovic [Bel] 4-0 via Unanimous Decision

This seemed the biggest mismatch in the final - Thomas looked like an experienced professional whilst Andruhovic looked like an amateur. Thomas was too fast the whole fight, his boxing was crisp and landed at will at times. Andruhovic was game but looked a bit like a deer in headlights at times. Thomas should go professional after this.

Featherweight
Delyan Georgiev [(Bul] (14-0) def. Joel Arolainen [Fin] (7-3) via Split Decision

Bit of a controversial decision here as after this close fight Arolainen & his corner were sure they had won and Georgiev & his corner seemed disheartened. These 2 were so evenly matched and competed in some solid grappling exchanges. Georgiev got a key late takedown in the 3rd which may have won him the gold. Goergiev now 10-0 under IMMAF with 9 of those wins decisions.

Bantamweight
Gamzat Magomedov [Bah] (5-0) def. Olzhas Moldagaliyev [Ka] (12-1) via Unanimous Decision

This was a really exciting fight with some great scrambles throughout. In the end Magomedov seemed to have the slight strength advantage as he stuffed most of Moldagaliyev's takedowns and just seemed to have the edge over his opponent.

Flyweight
Serdar Atlas [Swe] (13-7) def. Yernaz Mussabek [Kaz] (18-4) via Unanimous Decision

So i missed this fight so can't say how it went but Atlas got the upset over Mussabe and has now won 9 straight fights under the IMMAF banner.

Women's Lightweight
Gase Sanita [Nze] (2-0) def. Kaycee Blake [Uk] (1-0) via 2nd round Submission

The only finish of the whole night, Sanita was too good for the Uk's Blake. Sanita was dominant in the first as she used her superior wrestling to dominate Blake on the mat, and the 2nd was more of the same before she caught Blake with a nice armbar.

Women's Featherweight
Fabiana Giampa [Ita] (2-0) def. Courtney McRudden [Nir] (1-0) via Split Decision

This was a competative fight but in the end Giampa's crisper boxing and pressure style was the difference. McRudden started with some great kicks with her taekwondo style but over the course of he fight Giampa took over, walking forward the whole fight and McRudden couldn't keep up with her output.

Women's Bantamweight
Manon Fiorot [Fra] (3-2) def. Chamia Chabbi [Fin] (5-4) via Unanimous Decision

I missed this fight but Fiorot won a decision over Chabbi in what turned out to be a disappointing bantamweight bracket.

Women's Flyweight
Michele Oliveira [Bra] (4-0) def. Dannie Nielan [Ire] (5-2) via Unanimous Decision

I missed most of this fight but the impressive Oliveira has stormed onto the scene to take this Flyweight gold. I caught half of the last round and Nielan got the best of that, but i guess it must have been a late rally.

Women's Strawweight
Ana Astvik [Swe] (5-3) def. Hannah Dawson [Aus] (3-0) via Unanimous Decision

Another fight i missed, but Astvik upset the undefeated Australian Hannah Dawson via Unanimous Decision. Astvik beat 3 solid fighters so deserved the gold.

2017 World Champions
Super Heavyweight: Atanas Krastanov [Bul] (5-1)
Heavyweight: Irman Smajic [Swe] (16-4)
Light Heavyweight: Murtaza Talha Ali [Bah] (5-0)
Middleweight: Khaled Laallam [Swe] (12-1)
Welterweight: Benjamin Bennett [Usa] (16-4)
Lightweight: Quitin Thomas [Usa] (13-2)
Featherweight: Delyan Georgiev [Bul] (15-0)
Bantamweight: Gamzat Magomedov [Bah] (6-0)
Flyweight: Serdar Atlas [Swe] (14-7)
Women's Lightweight: Gase Sanita [Nze] (3-0)
Women's Featherweight: Fabiana Giampa [Ita] (3-0)
Women's Bantamweight: Manon Fiorot [Fra] (4-2)
Women's Flyweight: Michele Oliveira [Bra] (5-0)
Women's Strawweight: Ana Astvik [Swe] (6-3)

Country Golds
Sweden: 4
Bahrain: 2
Bulgaria: 2
Usa: 2
Brazil: 1
France: 1
Italy: 1
New Zealand: 1

Back