• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Ilia Topuria: "I'm going to finish Volkanovski in the first round"

Either him or Movsar. No one likes Movsar around here but he's won more UFC fights and 10 in a row in M-1 before that.

he barely won his last fight …. Can’t finish a sandwich either …..dominance counts for something .

and beating Bryce and Emmett would be better wins than any of evloevs wins .

I don't know if there is a fighter who's rise and development has impressed me more in recent years than Volkanovskis.

I'm not fucking around. This guy impresses me more and more with each fight. Going into the first Max fight I thought he'd do good but get outclassed. Yet he ended up being an incredibly dominant champion who seemingly is good everywhere.

Now of course I might be wrong, but I frankly don't expect Volk to struggle with Yair. I think he'll do his thing and use his wrestling to completely suffocate Yair.

Topuria has looked good but is too untested imo. Emmet provides a solid challenge but Alex is leagues above Emmet in every aspect outside of sheer power maybe. When I look at the FW division currently, I don't see anyone that can go and get that belt from Alex.

And yes, I will get his dick out of my mouth, you don't need to tell me.

Not saying he wont get the title fight, but at the same time, win yours first, then wait for Volk vs Rodriguez to happen and then, then he might get the shot.

I don't know if there is a fighter who's rise and development has impressed me more in recent years than Volkanovskis.

I'm not fucking around. This guy impresses me more and more with each fight. Going into the first Max fight I thought he'd do good but get outclassed. Yet he ended up being an incredibly dominant champion who seemingly is good everywhere.

Now of course I might be wrong, but I frankly don't expect Volk to struggle with Yair. I think he'll do his thing and use his wrestling to completely suffocate Yair.

Topuria has looked good but is too untested imo. Emmet provides a solid challenge but Alex is leagues above Emmet in every aspect outside of sheer power maybe. When I look at the FW division currently, I don't see anyone that can go and get that belt from Alex.

And yes, I will get his dick out of my mouth, you don't need to tell me.
Volkanovski is a master strategist and very athletic, but he has been caught slipping before. If Max can knock you down, Ilia can knock you out. That said, Ilia himself has looked a bit chinny. I hope we see this matchup. Two extremely technical and talented guys who fight very differently.

If Topuria beats Emmett, he's the clear next contender in line for Volk so he should definitely talk himself into that position and help hype the fight up. I'm sure Topuria thinks he will win too, super athletic fighter, young, undefeated, great wrestling and dynamite in his hands...still improving and barely scratching his prime. Volk beating guys like Topuria and Yair will do a lot for his legacy, because they will carry on after him and most likely age well considering how gifted they are. How many title defenses does Volk have left in him after Yair? I think realistically one or two...Topuria is finding him at the right time.

Almost every damn time a fighter looks ahead like this and proclaims something like this when they have an upcoming fight it goes badly for them.

Bet the house on Emmett KO.

1st round is his best chance, he lacks the striking variety/wrestling/cardio to beat Volk on rounds over 25 min.

He hits really hard and has a crushing sub game, so I'd say he has a punchers chance or a flash sub chance if he really went for the submission early.

I like the confidence though he should think that if he wants to win, and depending on how the Emmett fight goes he will be in the mix. He isn't far from a shot.

Volkanovski is a master strategist and very athletic, but he has been caught slipping before. If Max can knock you down, Ilia can knock you out. That said, Ilia himself has looked a bit chinny. I hope we see this matchup. Two extremely technical and talented guys who fight very differently.
Very fair point. Alex has been dropped but all things considered he deals with it well and can recover. Same with Ilia.

Its a fantastic fight for sure and I sure hope we see it. The title picture needs some fresh faces.

Very fair point. Alex has been dropped but all things considered he deals with it well and can recover. Same with Ilia.

Its a fantastic fight for sure and I sure hope we see it. The title picture needs some fresh faces.

Didn't Max drop Volk with a headkick though?

Didn't Max drop Volk with a headkick though?
Yes, and an uppercut before that. But I did not deny that. Still I think he dealt with it well. Was hurt for a quick moment and recovered immediately.

Allot of good champs have fallen to big mouths at the end of their reign and Topuria is dangerous. But, I just don't see Topuria ever reaching Alex level in the long run. His type Usually fall like this:

1st L : " Hey I got caught and he got lucky but he not on my level"

2nd L : " I didn't train hard enough, Just want to say sorry to my fans from my personal problems..I will be back I love you guys"

3rd L: " I come to bring it, I take risks, I come to fight, I am the people's champion and don't sit back with these lame judges"

4th L: "I will see what I am going to do, I think a new training camp, I know I am still a champ...UFC has made it difficult too"

5th L after being popped for steroids twice: " I am going to fight in another league, stay tuned, its bare knuckle fighting"

Now if your famous and supposedly invincible, and about to lose do the following:

1 Hit an old man at a bar...and please make it count by making sure the cameras rolling.... get the whole punch to the face..don't go to jail for nothing dummy

2 get caught with steroids or drugs

3 get arrested

4 talk about the next division for the next 3 years

Last edited:
I like it. He's a beast, and unless someone he's against stops him from running over them it's confidence that is well earned.

<Dany07>
thinking title shots are based on merit in the ufc.

Hes a really talented fighter but the only way I can see this happening is if he catches Volk on the downslide. And considering Volk is 34 and hes 26 I guess that could be somewhat possible somewhere down the line.

Back