If you spar a world class kicker, do you still kick back (gives him range)

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rules: Let's say american kickboxing with no low kicks.

If you do kick back but to no effect, you will be stuck fighting at a range in which he is allowed to kick back the shit out of you. So, would you strategically only box and try to bridge the gap if you knew you could get the better of him with boxing. Or would you still use kicks as fakes?

I try to kick everybody i spar

in theory ur never supposed to completely concede a range at all; because then it makes u one dimensional and no matter how good you are at that dimension, you are limited.

and regardless of how good someone is they can be schemed, figured out; completely abandoning one aspect of your game makes it that much harder to do so.

kick with them no, but using a viable...competent kicking game, yeah

I try to kick everybody i spar

When I used to spar Lerdsila, I'd mainly punch against him but it always felt good whenever I could land a kick.

Size difference didn't matter...he could toy with me however he chose to lol.

So, you're just going to concede that entire range to him, for free? Never let anyone just do what they want in a particular position, you have to always cause damage as there's no better disincentive than pain.

No you don’t kick with a kicker. You try to box with him or wherever you have a better chance of winning. (Wrassle his bitch ass)

You obviously don’t go kick for kick with the dude, but you don’t just abandon kicks altogether either. Just sparsely.

in theory ur never supposed to completely concede a range at all; because then it makes u one dimensional and no matter how good you are at that dimension, you are limited.

and regardless of how good someone is they can be schemed, figured out; completely abandoning one aspect of your game makes it that much harder to do so.

kick with them no, but using a viable...competent kicking game, yeah

Well Said, well said

I would use your game plan in the beginning but still kick in the end. Like I might go in and box then end the combo or exit with a kick. Next I might fake in with boxing only to kick him. But boxing will be the main game plan. Use boxing to kick basically.

While I understand @devante idea I disagree with it slightly, and I think @spacetime is a little out on what the problem would be. I use the idea that there are 3 ranges, outside, the pocket, and inside.
If somebody is most dangerous outside, they tend to kick and or use long straight punches. I want to transition through that range as soon as possible to the pocket or inside(shoulder to shoulder/head to head). If I'm flexible enough to kick from that range go ahead. It's controlling the range rather than to kick or not to kick

I found that when I fought at the kickboxers range he just blasted away at me. When I dropped the "kicking challenge" I was able to nail him with step-in jabs and not be floored. I did however connect him with a roundhouse kick to the midsection, but it did absolutely nothing to him, so that demoralized me quite a bit (I drove through it pretty good). But he could have of course faked it and felt pain inside.

I would use your game plan in the beginning but still kick in the end. Like I might go in and box then end the combo or exit with a kick. Next I might fake in with boxing only to kick him. But boxing will be the main game plan. Use boxing to kick basically.

Problem with kicking against a world class kicker is that they read you 5 seconds in advance.. It's like trying to box a world class boxer. It just doesn't work. The problem with only boxing is that it's hard to bridge the gap against that level.

Last edited:
Problem with kicking against a world class kicker is that they read you 5 seconds in advance.. It's like trying to box a world class boxer. It just doesn't work. The problem with only boxing is that it's hard to bridge the gap against that level.
That's why you set it up with boxing. Box with him for bit. He will think you're only boxing with him and neglect the kicks then you can catch him off guard after a boxing combo. Easier said than done I know.

Same with mma. If you stand with them a bit, the take downs will be easier.

But it will be easier to kick them this way than to try a kicking war with them. You will always lose. If you can outbox them, then outbox them and make them think about the hands before kicking at close range. And I totally understand what you mean about closing the gap. My coach just teeps me all day and I can't go anywhere near him. You have to feint a reaction and burst in super quick. Try a fake kick and step in with that leg at an angle (to avoid the push kick counter) and burst him down. As he back peddles, blast him with roundhouses. Find ways to go in and blast him with kicks at exits or his back peddles. Or fake more kicks and burst in with more boxing combos. After a few fakes throw 1 or 2 real ones and see how he reacts.

If he is world class, there's nothing you do. Just test the water and learn from him. What's working and what's not. How is he countering you, how is he seeing it and try not to make the same mistakes.

That's why you set it up with boxing. Box with him for bit. He will think you're only boxing with him and neglect the kicks then you can catch him off guard after a boxing combo. Easier said than done I know.

Same with mma. If you stand with them a bit, the take downs will be easier.

But it will be easier to kick them this way than to try a kicking war with them. You will always lose. If you can outbox them, then outbox them and make them think about the hands before kicking at close range. And I totally understand what you mean about closing the gap. My coach just teeps me all day and I can't go anywhere near him. You have to feint a reaction and burst in super quick. Try a fake kick and step in with that leg at an angle (to avoid the push kick counter) and burst him down. As he back peddles, blast him with roundhouses. Find ways to go in and blast him with kicks at exits or his back peddles. Or fake more kicks and burst in with more boxing combos. After a few fakes throw 1 or 2 real ones and see how he reacts.

If he is world class, there's nothing you do. Just test the water and learn from him. What's working and what's not. How is he countering you, how is he seeing it and try not to make the same mistakes.

Funnily enough, he gave me the preferred range from nowhere. Allowed me to step closer to him and BANG, I tagged him with a hard kick to the midsection. So he is human.. He just doesn't fall asleep at the switch enough.

Being passive and hesitant to engage *at all* in certain ranges, even if you aren't as good at them as your opponent, in fear of him 'countering' you, just means he's going to tag you for free in the first place, no counter needed.

That's why Rory got absolutely murked by Thompson (and why i don't really like tristar as a fight camp).

While I understand @devante idea I disagree with it slightly, and I think @spacetime is a little out on what the problem would be. I use the idea that there are 3 ranges, outside, the pocket, and inside.
If somebody is most dangerous outside, they tend to kick and or use long straight punches. I want to transition through that range as soon as possible to the pocket or inside(shoulder to shoulder/head to head). If I'm flexible enough to kick from that range go ahead. It's controlling the range rather than to kick or not to kick

excellent post, cant argue with this at all...

As for taking me down, that's not going to happen. Period. That's because I don't play that game. You ground fighters are too dangerous. I'm not exactly giving up a skillset. I just stick to fights where the rules are stand up only. Stand up or I don't want to play. :)
Then you get the grapplers who wanna touch butt so bad, they'll even settle for standing subs and takedowns. Was strange for me the first time I did MT sparring. Was told there was no grappling (outside of clinching), then Judo kid pulls off a judo throw, I should've known better, but it was a WTH moment.

Back