If you love martial arts, watch this Documentary!

Space Dog

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
A mini documentary about self taught Judoka Doug Rogers who after winning silver at the 1964 Tokyo olympics made a name for himself in Japan and got invited to train with legendary Judoka Masahiko Kimura. He remains the first and only foreigner taught by Kimura.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/judoka

I read a article about his training schedule and it would look something like this:
Masahiko Kimura’s Daily Training Regime (Kimura trained 6 days a week):
1,000 Push-ups or Hindu Push-ups
Bunny Hop- 1 km
Headstand- 3 x 3 Minutes (against a wall)
Judo Practice- 100 Throws
One-Arm Barbell Lift and Press- 15 Reps each side OR Bench Press- 3 Sets: 3, 2, and 1 Reps
200 Sit-ups off Partner’s Back or Decline Sit-ups
200 Squats with Partner/Log/Barbell/Sandbag (150-200lbs)
Judo Practice- 100 Drills Submissions
500 Shuto (Knife-hand Strikes)
Judo Practice- 100 Entries
Judo Randori- “X” x 3 Minute Rounds
Practice Throws (particularly Uchi-mata) Against a Tree- 1 Hour
Additional Judo Practice- 1 Hour

karate.gif

"A year a ago Marida could take me, Now that is not quite the case.
He's not getting any worse.. So i must be getting better.."

wish I had time to train like that! wonder what kind of solo drills I could do for BJJ that would help my game....

I remember watching this when I first started training. Every martial artist should watch this!!

Holy shit was that a good movie on all kinds of levels. WOW!

I watched twice. Amazing movie. Then, I got bummed out when I "googled" him later in life. It is sad to see someone once great let themselves go. In my mind, you are a martial artist for life. That means having the discipline to maintain your body at the best level it can be for life. I had a karate instructor once say (in broken English).

"Steven Seagal. He used to be good. He not good anymore. Japanese not like "used to be good" people."

I know everyone can't be at their peak for life. But, martial arts should give people the discipline to be their best at every age whether they are actually still training or not.

I watched twice. Amazing movie. Then, I got bummed out when I "googled" him later in life. It is sad to see someone once great let themselves go. In my mind, you are a martial artist for life. That means having the discipline to maintain your body at the best level it can be for life. I had a karate instructor once say (in broken English).

"Steven Seagal. He used to be good. He not good anymore. Japanese not like "used to be good" people."

I know everyone can't be at their peak for life. But, martial arts should give people the discipline to be their best at every age whether they are actually still training or not.

In all fairness this happened at a time when finding a Judo school/gym/ukes in the same area where you are going to be a small aircraft commercial pilot in Canada probably was pretty tough. Add to that what he was coming from - training for years in the Valhalla/Mt. Olympus of his chosen profession - and it's kind of hard to get geared up for randori on the carpet of the local Elks lodge basement floor with Big (dumb) Ryan (he doesn't cry when he gets thrown!!).

This never gets old, watch the doc and thank me later!

This never gets old, watch the doc and thank me later!
Usually I'm not a fan of thread necros that add nothing, but I agree this documentary is amazing. I also appreciate that you posted the NFB link, instead of using some crappy youtube version. I wonder if Doug Rogers still trains at all or coaches.

Usually I'm not a fan of thread necros that add nothing, but I agree this documentary is amazing. I also appreciate that you posted the NFB link, instead of using some crappy youtube version. I wonder if Doug Rogers still trains at all or coaches.
He's a retired airlines pilot. He shows up to some judo tournaments and a few coaching/seminar apperiances in Canada. .... is what wikipedia says

Back