If you had to pick one dvd set to learn from which would it be?

I came here to help, and ended up spending money myself! With all the recommendations, I had to buy Saulo Ribeiro's dvd.

Thanks fellow sherdoggers. There are some great tips on this thread. I think I am going to go with saulo's. I think its a safe bet. I will let everyone know what I think about it when my gf buys it for me.

Thanks for the advice Cailibur. Will source that DLR one out. Any idea on a deep halg guard DVD or halg guard DVD that covers that section too? Have Gordo's sets which are awesum

Saulo's Jiu Jitsu Revolution 2 Covers the basics of Deep Half guard and passes. Excellent IMO, but basic.

Cobhrina's set covers some advanced deep half guard sweeps. His are VERY gi specific.

I bought the Roy dean and my GF bought me the Saulo Riberio's Revolution 1. To be honest the Roydean dvd was way too basic for me. This is good for total newbs. I am even thinking about giving it to a whitebelt newb at my school. That dvd wasn't worth 5 dollars in my book. But for a beginner I could see how it could be helpful.

So far I went over the 1st dvd of saulo's in the set which covers the mount and I though it was excellent. I picked up some details that I have already added to my game. Easy concepts to master.

I am on the 2nd dvd which covers side control. He gives some good details but I feel the mount dvd is better. Side control one is a little more complicated in my opinion.

Will update after I get through all of them.

Has anyone here seen any Igor Yakimov leg locks DVD? I really would like to add leg locks to my game and surprise some of the higher belts. :icon_evil We don't work on leg locks much at my academy and I feel this DVD may benefit me in catching some guys with higher skill level than myself.

I'm not gonna say it's the best dvd set but aside from the mentioned dvds like moura, maia, etc, I found that Ronaldo Jacare Desouza's instructional was excellent. I picked up many passes from open, spider and half guard.

Personally, based upon your criteria, my top 3 dvd sets would be:

1) Saulo Ribiero- I echo all of the comments above. It is a must have instructional set.

2) Braulio Estima- I'm surprised that this wasn't mentioned more by others. In my opinion this set is almost as awesome as Saulo's. Not as much theory but the stuff in here is pure BJJ gold.

3) Robson Moura Fusion- No single instructional DVD set has impacted my personal game as much as his Fusion 1 and Fusion 2 sets.

These are my three as well.

Same as everyone else... Ribeiro, Maia, Moura.

FYI, if she gets them on eBay they're MUCH cheaper new... Normally $90 for one, or $150 for a set (as opposed to $150 for one).

it all depends on where your at in your game, Saulos is an excellent set, very detailed. maia's are good as well. but it really depends on what specifically you may be looking for.

Has anyone here seen any Igor Yakimov leg locks DVD? I really would like to add leg locks to my game and surprise some of the higher belts. :icon_evil We don't work on leg locks much at my academy and I feel this DVD may benefit me in catching some guys with higher skill level than myself.

Gokor's leg lock set is the best on the topic I have ever seen followed by Stephan Kestings dynamic knee bar set. Gokor covers every aspect of no gi leg locks, ankle locks, heel hooks, and calf crushers. If you get Gokor's you don't need kestings, but if you want an inexpensive one that covers all the bases of knee bars than kestings is the way to go.

Anything Ribeiro or Maia whether it be gi or nogi. Doesn't matter, also Jiu Jitsu University is a great book. Helped my game out alot.

Roy Dean is also worth considering, depending how dedicated you are to your fundamentals. There is no better set on the basics than Blue Belt Requirements (my full review here).

I have the 'BJJ Blue Belt Requirements' by Roy Dean. He's articulate, concise, and patient with his teaching. The quality of the production is top notch. :D

Purplebelt_DVD_frontcover.jpg

This is definitely my next DVD instructionals. I have the 'BJJ Blue Belt Requirements' already. :D

Demian Maia - the science of jiu jitsu is my favorite. I have gotten a lot of use out of mark hatmakers stuff, even though a lot of people talk crap about him. I also have a set of 4 dvds from fabio gurgel that arent bad. Mostly basic stuff. Hatmakers stuff is nogi, so I would recommend Maias above all else.

Might have watched all of Mark Hatmakers best DVD sets; they're awesome! His Extreme Boxing was really good and he shows how to defend everything in boxing just blew my mind. Im watching How to Beat the Bigger Stronger Opponent Series 2 with Brandon "Wolverine" Mullins and it seems to be the kind of thing OP was looking for. For self defense just watched Ultimate Street Fighter by Ricardo De La Riva and its so good! Ive seen 55 BJJ DVD sets and these are some of the best!

Pay really good attention, because you won't see this no where else.

Back