If you don't have to defend the belts, then a lot of guys were "2-division champs"...

People talked up a superfight with Aldo and the LW champs for years. If he had wanted it, he could have gotten it (admittedly, the UFC probably would have made him give up the FW title, but still, he could have had it). Like most champs he preferred staying in his division. That's fine. I'm also fine with Conor wanting to make history by moving up.
That's not true at all, he asked for it many times and was never granted it

Source
http://www.mmamania.com/2016/1/17/1...ght-title-shot-repeatedly-over-four-years-mma

The problem I have with McGregor getting this title shot is this: He is the FW Champion after throwing one punch...good for him, he won. Since winning the belt he has fought twice, losing once by submission, and barely winning the second fight by split decision. Both of theses fights being at 170 lbs. So, 1/1 since winning the FW belt, no title defenses, and never fought anyone at LW. Then you have the Lightweight Division, full of killers...just loaded from 10th ranked, up. Connor jumps all of them to get a title shot. I understand he's the FW champion on paper, but not the undisputed champion because we actually have an interim champion at that weight. What the UFC is doing is manipulating the process of fighters earning their way to a title shot, just so their goldenboy can say "I am the 1st two division champion"...if he wins at Lightweight. Of course for the UFC, it's all about the money and what fights sell. I get that. But having been a supporter of this sport since UFC 1 (Still have the original t-shirt), I want to see it continue to grow and obtain legitimacy. Moves like this undermine that process and belittle the brand. Look, sometimes the Cleveland Browns have to play the Detroit Lions and that's the only game on TV. I still watch because I like football.
But there are many great fights at LW for McGregor, from 5th ranked up. Connor vs any of those guys would be an epic fight. Let him fight one of those guys and actually earn a title shot. I would then respect his legacy because he earned it as a great fighter, not a slick salesman.

Randy and Penn both lost their titles before winning the other.
Exactly. That's what TS isn't getting. It's not a matter of being the first 2 division champ, it's being the first simultaneous 2 division champ.

Disclaimer - I think it's BS that he is getting a shot at Alvarez without having defended his FW title.
Read the topic guys. They only lost the belts because the UFC made them *defend* the titles or get stripped, see? Conor doesn't have that little technicality. If they were just allowed to hold onto the belt and fight all over the place, they would have been two division champs eventually too.

Read the topic guys. They only lost the belts because the UFC made them *defend* the titles or get stripped, see? Conor doesn't have that little technicality. If they were just allowed to hold onto the belt and fight all over the place, they would have been two division champs eventually too.
Alright, I see what you're saying. Kind of a semantics thing though. I mean, eventually, every champion will lose his belt (unless they retire with it) so where do you draw the line on when it would be acceptable to move up and challenge for the next higher weight belt? 1 defense? 5 defenses?

Also - BJ did not get stripped when he moved up to challenge GSP...and he had defended the LW belt zero times. He won the interim against Joe Daddy and then unified vs. Sherk.

I still dont know how the UFC haven't made GSP / Silva.

Back