If Stipe beats JJ = means nothing be/c JJ is washed. If JJ beats Stipe = means nothing be/c Stipe is washed.

Not true ….If Stipe wins ….Jones was ducking heavyweight for a reason blah blah …….he’s 9th on the goat list now blah blah……

stipe is the only one who has something to gain in this fight. thats what got me talking about alex. now jones is ducking asprinall. smh smh smh. who knows who the #1 contender when JBJ heals in 5 months.

it's not even sherdog logic, it's common sense. Jones is avoiding the interim champ. Stipe is old. This is a legacy fight so the UFC can promote Jon Jones as the greatest eva from here to eternity.

But what about the next LHW champs who'll get 2 title defences? You know they'll start calling him the new GOAT immediately.

Well yeah, both guys are clearly washed so it won't mean anything in terms of legacy.

Like when Chael fought Machida, Rampage, Fedor, Wand, Tito. They were all washed so the fights meant nothing legacy wise.

Jon isn't washed. He just easily beat Gane who despite clearly having some huge flaws and weaknesses in his game, is still a legit top 5 HW.

Stipe might not even be washed, but he is going to be 42, coming off a bad KO loss 3 years ago, and hasn't won a fight in 4 years. So very likely washed, but we'll see. Still clearly years beyond his best.

The main issue is that the fight is meaningless, nobody cares about it, and Stipe might be the worst title challenger in the modern era of MMA. We've had guys getting title fights off of losses before (Gus, Chael etc) but coming off a KO loss and 3 year hiatus is a new low.

There is another issue, beyond the fact that this fight is meaningless (in which case I agree 100% with you that it is).

The UFC is bringing Miocic out of retirement, to put Jones over as the GOAT... to cater to fucking guy who's most likely also going to retire if he wins. Personally, I find that an absurd business decision.

Jones wins, the UFC pretty much gets one (MAYBE two) more paydays out of Jon. Stipe wins (almost zero fucking chance that happens), and the UFC gets one payday out of it. And let's be real here... Stipe, for as good of a fighter as people think he was, his biggest PPV draw was 500k. So this "massive selling" fight with Jones, that's a crap shoot at best.

The UFC could use Jones to put Aspinall over, who has another 5 or 6 years of fight left in him and has the potential to reign as champ for a while. And if Aspinall does win and beat Jones (providing Jones puts on his big boy pants), there is no way Jones' ego doesn't let him at least try to prove that it was a fluke win.

Dana and the UFC should be looking to build up their potential future stars and draws, rather than cater to the ones on the way out the door.

The UFC has a history of using old vets to prop up the younger and up and coming fighters. I suppose it makes sense that Jones gets special treatment, considering how much Dana and Jon have in common with each other.

There's no way in hell that the former HW champion (who currently holds the defense record) is in any way, shape, or form worse than Bethe Correia or Chris Cariaso
I can think of one quantifiable way.

UFC record in the four years leading up to their title shot:

Bethe Correia: 3-0

Chris Cariaso: 7-3

Stipe Miocic: 0-1

Not true, if JJ beats stipe, JJ would believe he beat by the heavyweight goat 🙄

I think they’re at similar stages in their careers and it’s an even fight from that perspective. Stipe been KO’d more, but Jon doesn’t carry KO power so there’s no threat there.

Jones beat an absurdly one dimensional HW champion and still hasn’t been hit by an elite HW with KO power. Stipe can crack and wrestle. I doubt that inactivity has changed this.

Jones’ mentality is the reason that he never competed at HW. He was the most dominant LHW ever while partying, but no amount of juice could substitute for the focus and dedication that it would require for Jones to be successful at HW.

Guy removed the part of my post that made it clear I was talking about merit, the proceeded to argue against a point I never made.

I'd put it down to regular Sherdog lack of intelligence but I know he's a Jones fan so it was very likely deliberate in this case.

Awfully specific, but okay! How about the amount of beef jerky (in grams) all three have eaten in the past 83 days?

Guy removed the part of my post that made it clear I was talking about merit, the proceeded to argue against a point I never made.

I'd put it down to regular Sherdog lack of intelligence but I know he's a Jones fan so it was very likely deliberate in this case.

Very deliberate. <lol>

1715296560168.gif

I’ll just write off your opinion until the end of time if this is how ridiculous you are.

I’m done with lowbrow, Sherbros, that drag out every single lame meme. If you can’t come up with an intelligent thought of your own. I don’t need to read your tripe.

Wow reading this thread made me realize that I haven’t even considered Stipe beating Jones as an actual possibility. Usually with fights I’m still slightly unsure, but with this one it feels like I know this isn’t even a forgone conclusion, it is guaranteed.

Back