If Roy Retired After the First Tarver Fight...

Jim Reaper

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
...he'd have left with a 49 - 1 record, with that loss being a DQ in a fight he was about to win. So, as close to 50 - 0 as you can get. How would you rate that career compared to Floyd's?

Last edited:
Better. Toney and Hopkins are better than any of Floyd's wins.

Maybe not as dense in terms of champions or former title holders (I wouldn't bet on this) but a few great wins nonetheless. Add Hill, McCallum and Tarver to B-Hop and Toney. A former MW champion getting a HW title is also quite an achievement.

I'd put them on the level.

Last edited:
Montell Griffin was no slouch either with a couple wins over Toney (even if the second was a robbery).

Floyd would still have a stronger resume than Roy. But if you go strictly by what your eyes tell you Roy was superior.

As a RJJ fan, I really wished he retired after the Ruiz fight...it was the right time if he wanted to maximize on his legacy as being legendary pugilist. Who could question the record of a man who won a title at every heavier division except cruiserweight.

Floyd has the resume, the record, and didn't spend his twilight years getting slapped about.

no doubt about it, better. Unlike most great champs who people overlook their last fights, Roy's decline was so swift and so harsh that there is no way it can be glossed over. He's probably the only great fighter who's decline hurt him that bad because he showed no weakness in his prime then all of the sudden it's obvious he couldn't take a punch, it's obvious he really didn't know everything there was to know about the craft of boxing, he looked lost trying to fight inside.

If you followed Roy it's clear to see he wasn't the same in this fight. He should've took this win and run off into the sunset. Shame.

Although I think Roy's record is underrated i think Floyd has the better names on his record, the talent is always deeper in and around welter.

Prime Roy Jones is a better fighter imo. Id pick him to beat anybody h2h 160-175 and I don't care who knows. <Moves>

Thanks for the input, guys! Another question: If Roy passed the "undisputed p4p king" torch to Floyd, who passed it to Roy?

RJJ defeated Hopkins and Toney in their primes. Who did Floyd fight and beat in their prime? Manny, Oscar,Mosley,Canelo, Cotto ........ 4 fought past their primes and 1 before his prime.

Look Floyd is best defensive fighter ever and one of the highest ring iq ever ....... just would of liked to of seen him fight Cotto earlier and certainly Manny in 2010

Back