"If Khabib takes Tony down, he'll get beat up.Tony will cut him up from the ground." -Michael Chiesa

Arm Barbarian

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Chiesa getting some air time as of late.

He is one of the very few active fighters at 155 giving El Cucuy a chance in this fight. Almost every fighter I've seen interviewed is going with Khabib.

Mike says that if there's going to be a finish in this fight, it will be Tony that gets it. He thinks that Ferguson has way more weapons and means to end the fight overall than Nurmagomedov does.

He says it won't matter if Khabib takes him down repeatedly, that he will pay for it when he does. He thinks Cucuy will elbow the shit outta him on the ground. lol

Interesting comment from Chiesa about how long Fergusons reach is. He says his hands nearly rest at his knees, like an ape.

Sounds like Michael actually likes Khabib more as a person than he does Tony, based on interactions he's had with both guys.

Thoughts on this? Can Tony generate enough of an attack off of his back to neutralize Khabibs blistering GnP?

Time-stamped :

<TheWire1>

Who would have known the solution was so simple? Why didn't chiesa shares this amazing insight with khabib's previous opponents?

<Dylan>

I actually agree with most if not all of this.

Tony by decision or late stoppage. I'm not convinced Khabib can go 5 rounds.

Thats why this fight is so interesting, Tony is the most talented fighter in the UFC, in terms of damage from the bottom, and he's comfortable there if he's taken down. He also has the cardio to keep throwing for years.
He also not afraid of throwing creative strikes on the feet from fear of the TD, but that might change once he feels the pressure and top game of Khabib's aswell as the smashes.

When you have your peers excited for the matchup & have bought into the hype you know it's a good fight.

I've broken down the circumstances Tony would need to do significant damage from guard more than once now. Basically keeping Khabib in full guard (and stopping him from tripodding) is the first step to landing those elbows. If you've seen Khabib fight then you know that his ability to pass and control from guard is no joke.

It is nowhere near that simple. With that said, it's Tony so who the fuck knows what he'll think of.

Kevin Lee got passed Tony's guard like knife through butter, I don't see Khabib chilling in his guard when he can just posture from half guard without risk of getting cut up.

But I do see Tony being tough enough to survive and make Khabib work more than he's used to, then eventually taking over the fight in the 4th round and finishing it with a d'arce off a gassed panic double leg.

I don't get the idea of Tony not having a shot here. He's super dangerous in the spot where Khabib is most dominant and Tony is also incredibly creative. This is a fight that I would never put any serious money on, too much of a coin flip. Tony has more weapons but Khabib is such a terror when he gets his hands on guys. Can't wait for this one, assuming we don't get hosed out of it again.

Last edited:
This is a fight that I would never put any serious money one, too much of a coin flip

100 % agreed. I'm leaning ever so slightly towards Tony, but this fight is a true pick-em for me. Both guys are absolute beasts.

What fights did Tony do significant damage from the guard? Danny Castillo ?

Tony is nasty from the bottom to be sure. But when you attack from the bottom, you are vulnerable to attack from the top. I imagine Khabib would be all too willing to sit on top of Tony and trade punches with him all night.

Kevin Lee got passed Tony's guard like knife through butter, I don't see Khabib chilling in his guard when he can just posture from half guard without risk of getting cut up.

This, good luck landing elbows from the bottom if Khabib passes Tony's guard.

<TheWire1>

Who would have known the solution was so simple? Why didn't chiesa shares this amazing insight with khabib's previous opponents?

<Dylan>
?? Are you pretending that khabibs other opponents have been anywhere near as dangerous off their back as tony or are you just trying to harvest some likes on sherdog? If it’s the latter, holy shit

im going to go ahead and say this elbow from the bottom strategy wont work at all as its one of the only threats Tony has in this fight team Khabib will be well prepared

I fancy Fergo on this. Tight as a duck's chuff, but i'm picking him to stop him mid to late rounds

Back