If anyone is planning on ever exploring caves as a hobby- watch this first

I remember a few years ago there was a scuba diver off the coast of Florida that got sucked into a water intake pipe for the Nuclear power plant. It took like 5 minutes for him to get pulled through this pipe that was pulling in hundreds of gallons per second and he thought for sure he was going to hit the turbine and get shredded to pieces. Luckily before the turbine, there's a pond inside the power plant where he was able to swim to the side and flag down a worker.

I spoke to a friend of mine last night who used to be in police rescue. We talked on this subject and he mentioned a few times he had to go on rescues for people lost and stuck.
He also mentioned having to abseil down abandoned mineshafts in respiration gear to look for possible murder victims.

So imagine crawling in a cave and then you are face to face with a dead body.
My dad was a firefighter for several decades, a so called 'smoke diver' which are the ones who crawl into small spaces in burning buildings getting other people out. He's told me about some of his experiences and it makes my skin crawl. I can't stand the idea of being confined like that, but at least it makes sense when you're saving someones life. Watching these cave divers barely able to wiggle their way through dark holes in the ground I'll never understand.

I don't see the fucking appeal to spelunking or whatever the fuck this is.

I don't see the fucking appeal to spelunking or whatever the fuck this is.
This doesn't look like fun to you?

spelunking_in_Austin_TX.jpg

i think these cavers/thrill seekers have the part of their brain missing that senses/envisions imminent potential danger. Also they really underestimate their own mortality.

So i am watching another caving vid and that's nothing. Apparently real tight passes need to be crawled in with your arms back because it makes you narrower. When you get stuck your buddy pulls you back.

What an atrocious hobby lol.
oh!!!! thats exactly like like this one:

its also very terrifying.

why can't i stop watching these horrible stories... there just so mesmerizing

Bit of controversy around this video as the guy didn't really do his own research and ripped someone elses, but it's worth a watch.

What a wild fucking story. Worth a watch for sure.

I remember a few years ago there was a scuba diver off the coast of Florida that got sucked into a water intake pipe for the Nuclear power plant. It took like 5 minutes for him to get pulled through this pipe that was pulling in hundreds of gallons per second and he thought for sure he was going to hit the turbine and get shredded to pieces. Luckily before the turbine, there's a pond inside the power plant where he was able to swim to the side and flag down a worker.
That happens all the time except for the survival. Delta P is a pretty horrific thing. The one about the 5 guys who got sucked into the pipe with scuba gear on is the worst. The one guy managed to get out and tell everyone they were alive in there.......The others the company let sit and die there because they were unwilling to cut and mount a rescue because it would be cheaper to pay out the families a settlement than mount a rescue and delay the pipe production.

Hard no from me.

If it gets any tighter than me having to duck my head or turn sideways for a short time that's a no fucking way

Bit of controversy around this video as the guy didn't really do his own research and ripped someone elses, but it's worth a watch.

This guy is even more of an idiot than the first one. His goal was to develop the tunnel enough to attract tourists. Ain't no tourist squeezing into that hole. He should have focused on developing the tunnel instead of squeezing himself into dangerously tight places. Also he shouldn't have been working alone. His project probably needed a team of people. Both guys deserve Darwin awards

So i am watching another caving vid and that's nothing. Apparently real tight passes need to be crawled in with your arms back because it makes you narrower. When you get stuck your buddy pulls you back.

What an atrocious hobby lol.
Different sources give different answers, but it seems BASE jumping / Wingsuiting are probably the most dangerous sports in terms of dying, followed by free climbing and high altitude mountaineering. In terms of unpleasantness and mental and physical discomfort though I think caving probably takes it.

Is there a sport or hobby worse than this?

Different sources give different answers, but it seems BASE jumping / Wingsuiting are probably the most dangerous sports in terms of dying, followed by free climbing and high altitude mountaineering. In terms of unpleasantness and mental and physical discomfort though I think caving probably takes it.

Is there a sport or hobby worse than this?
It s a fucking nightmare for sure.

Back