IBJJF: leg lock - crossing inner leg and forced disqualification

Henzo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys

I was just watching one of my last fights at a IBJJF tournament. I attacked a guy with a leg lock and during the scramble my inner leg crossed his leg and went to the side of his body. I won that fight but I was not sure if it was because the ref did not pay attention or if this way of crossing doesn't count as reaping the knee.

Also another question regarding leg locks: forced disqualifikation?
At the same competition I attacked another guy with a straight ankle lock but this guy always tried to push my outside foot towards the mid body line. Since I didn't want to get disqualified I let go from the leg lock. One of my friends told me later, that in this case the other guy would get disqualified because he was forcing the knee reaping him self. Does anyone know more about that kind of situation?

the inside leg can cross though the body, and travel outside the opponent's hip like you described, with no penalty. This is like 50/50. the leg can come from inside the hip, going to the outside with no restrictions. The illegal action is when the outside leg cross the hip and travels towards the midline of the body is when its illegal

and yes, if he is deliberately pushing your leg to make you reap him, he will get the DQ

Thank you very much for the fast answer! ...I am practicing BJJ / Grappling for quite a while but those IBJJF rules are still quite new around here so I feel really unsure about some details.

Last edited:
Back