IBJJF friendly leglock instructionals

Papawash

clean and fresh
@purple
Reaction score
Anybody know good IBJJF legal instructionals ? My instructor teaches leglocks but mostly sambo style, I was wondering if there's anything out there that can be good for a blue.

First you need to read the ibjjf rules to understand their knee reaping rules then you can find anything on you tube.

In your case, blue belt means only straight ankle lock anyway.

Roli Delgado has a pretty highly praised app called "Legal Leg Locks" never seen it personally, but i've only heard good things about it.

Every time i think of leglocks in context of IBJJF rules, i end up needing a drink. I suppose I need to thank you for the beer, OP.

On topic: As mentioned above, your only option is straight ankle lock. You just need to watch out for reaping. However there are other subs you can do with straight ankle lock grip that inflict similar damage as toehold/heelhook. Essentially you are releasing the heel and trap the foot/turn. I think i just saw a video on this. Ill try to find it for you.

Here it is:

I believe (please correct me if im wrong) as long as you have the straight ankle lock grip, these subs are still allowed by IBBJF.

Last edited:
Is Oli Geddes new set mostly ankle lock?
Does Estima lock count as an ankle lock or has it been ruled something else?

Estima lock is legal afaik

Reilly Bodycombs sets that also have a lot of material on the tripod ankle lock (No Kurtka & Top Rock) are also amazing resources. A lot of his stuff isn't IBJJF legal, but the tripod ankle lock is probably my favorite ankle lock and also completely legal.

Roll and Bodycomb all the way, also look at the Renzo guys and their leg positioning.

I recommend watching Roli's set, it is good.

Also watch some Edwin Najmi matches before he was a black belt.

I have a dim memory seeing a clip where a guy showed an ankle lock variation, where instead of going under with the same side arm, you passed the opposite side arm under and figure foured, to put more torque on it.

Something else in the 'I can't believe its not heel hooks!' vein; I think the strongest methods of performing leg locks all follow a sort of 'corkscrew' principle, and to increase your finishes you look for ways to incorporate that.

Like with the toe hold, you snake the looping arm in deeper and grab around foot like a wrist ride from the back, and grab around the big toes with the other arm. The let's you keep the leg tight while 'corkscrewing' the foot down and in around (ie, the old 'toes to the butt' addage), much like a well done heel hook.

Oli Geddes' set is all legal for blue belts, mostly focused on the straight ankle lock

Estima lock was allowed for all belts for a while. A friend of mine got DQ'd for using it at 2016 Europeans, ref said it's only legal for brown belts now.

Are you talking about the "Cavaca" foot lock? (Rmonger)

Check out Roli Delgado for some AWESOME IBJJF foot lock wizardry.

I found these instructionals from Cavaca really useful, although they are mostly set ups from 50/50:

If you are looking for set ups from the SLX, you should certainly go forRoli's Legal Leg lock DVD.

Back