I won't be surprised

herra

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Here's a history lesson for the boxing purists out there who believe a MMA fighter has no chance in boxing (i.e. Mcgregor won't touch Mayweather). Many MMA fighters competed in kickboxing matches with inferior technical skills and experience, and still come out on the winning end. Here's a short list of MMA fighters.

Hisaki Kato def. Joe Schilling
Schilling is the biggest superstar in Glory Kickboxing. Rogan gets wet every time he talks about Schilling or when Schilling's name comes up. Despite having no prior Kickboxing professional fights, Kato's KTFO of Schillings in his debut.

Alistair Overeem def. Badr Hari, Glaube Feats, Peter Aerts, Tyrone Sprong, Gokan Saki
Overeem was on a controversial diet program at the time, and defeat the K-1 superstars and future legends. (Badr Hari, Glaube Feats, Peter Aerts, Tyrone Sprong, Gokan Saki)

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs Cyril Abidi
Rampage with no prior professional kickboxing experience beat a young and talented K-1 superstar Abidi not once but twice.

Bob Sapp vs Ernesto Hoost, Cyril Abidi

Ernesto "Mr. Perfect" Hoost is a K-1 god and legend. Nearing the tail-end of his career, Hoost took a fight with no skill, all hype Bob Sapp, and Sapp shocked the K-1 community by stopping Hoost in two separate matches.

K1 is not the same as elite boxing. Kickboxing is a niche sport, boxing was a mainstream sport at one point before MMA raped and pillaged it.

Good post, but to be fair kick boxing is a lot different than boxing.

Good post, but to be fair kick boxing is a lot different than boxing.
This is irrelevant.

The main point is that somebody who has spent considerable amount of time training and competing, even if it is not at the highest level of the sport, has a realistic chance.

It is a small chance, but it is still realistic.

We can all believe whatever we want, but anything can happen on fight night, and that is the only time we can know the truth.

The truth can only be known in hindsight (after it has happened).

Right now, nobody knows shit, but they believe a whole lot of things.

This is irrelevant.

It is relevant, because boxing is even more specialized than kickboxing. The less weapons you have, the more you have to be ultra technical about it. Also none of the guys mentioned were 49-0.

Last edited:
It is, because boxing is even more specialized than kickboxing
I really don't think this is relevant to the original post. The point of the original sport is that mma fighters (who are suppose to incorporate various individual styles) have been successful competing in those individual styles.

Whether boxing is more or less specialized than kickboxing is irrelevant for this argument.
The less weapons you have, the more you have to be ultra technical about it. Also none of the guys mentioned were 49-0.
This is not true. First of all, just because boxers use only hands, it doesn't mean that they "less weapons." Boxers use they hands for many different types of strikes.

More variety doesn't necessarily mean more weapons. If you have a car, a boat, and a plane, it doesn't mean you have more vehicles than somebody who has 20 cars.

I agree that Floyd should be the favorite, but LOL at anybody acting like McGregor has no chance. Anybody with 2 fists has a chance in a boxing match. 10 years ago I would've agreed with him having no chance because Floyd wasn't 40. There is no such thing as an ageless wonder. Father time is undefeated.

Most of the logic I hear as to why Conor has no chance revolves around Floyd being The Best Ever(a self-proclaimed label I whole-heartedly disagree with), and him being 0-0 as a professional boxer. That means fuckle when you consider that it's not his first professional fight, and most of his fights are won with punches.

Is Floyd more skilled at boxing? Absolutely. I don't think anyone can come up with a solid argument against that fact. Has Floyd slowed down enough to get caught clean by McGregor? I believe he has. Will he be in trouble if he gets caught? I believe so. His legs are shot. That's why he rarely stands in the pocket and exchanges anymore. Maidana forced it in the first fight and Floyd looked like shit. Maidana is a solid brawler, but a young Floyd would've probably knocked him out since he likes to walk in with his hands down.

Floyd SHOULD take Conor to school. He is definitely the better pure boxer...that's the conventional wisdom anyway. BUT, the guys that rely on reflexes to win fights are usually the ones that "get old over night". Conor's best punch is that straight left, which also happens to be the punch Floyd has had the most problems with.

A young Floyd makes McGregor look like an idiot, and probably gets a relatively early(3rd or 4th round) stoppage. Floyd is fucking 40! I don't care what you Conor haters say. I think he wins. Disaster is in the air on this one. I'm not a Conor fan, but I am realistic, and the only tool he needs to beat this particular aging boxer, he just happens to have. Floyd won't just lay down and let him have it, but Conor will ko him early.

49-1

Here's what happened when former K-1 Heavyweight Champion Ray Sefo fought a high level boxer in his prime(not elite or championship level but a world class boxer).

And mind you, unlike McGregor Sefo put in the work, trained out a pro boxing gym and won his first 5 fights before taking a step up in competition. Boxing is a whole other kettle of fish, if it was Kickboxing Conor would obliterate Floyd easily but in Boxing? Come on....

Mma striking must surely be a lot easier to transfer to kickboxing than boxing

Here's a history lesson for the boxing purists out there who believe a MMA fighter has no chance in boxing (i.e. Mcgregor won't touch Mayweather). Many MMA fighters competed in kickboxing matches with inferior technical skills and experience, and still come out on the winning end. Here's a short list of MMA fighters.

Hisaki Kato def. Joe Schilling
Schilling is the biggest superstar in Glory Kickboxing. Rogan gets wet every time he talks about Schilling or when Schilling's name comes up. Despite having no prior Kickboxing professional fights, Kato's KTFO of Schillings in his debut.

Alistair Overeem def. Badr Hari, Glaube Feats, Peter Aerts, Tyrone Sprong, Gokan Saki
Overeem was on a controversial diet program at the time, and defeat the K-1 superstars and future legends. (Badr Hari, Glaube Feats, Peter Aerts, Tyrone Sprong, Gokan Saki)

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs Cyril Abidi
Rampage with no prior professional kickboxing experience beat a young and talented K-1 superstar Abidi not once but twice.

Bob Sapp vs Ernesto Hoost, Cyril Abidi

Ernesto "Mr. Perfect" Hoost is a K-1 god and legend. Nearing the tail-end of his career, Hoost took a fight with no skill, all hype Bob Sapp, and Sapp shocked the K-1 community by stopping Hoost in two separate matches.
I'm not surprised tat you donks keep posting this nonsense in the wrong forum.

STOP IT.

Untitled.png

Conor doesnt even have the style to beat Floyd. Along with the gas tank experience footwork or striking. Hack even his power is overrated. He's very accurate and very good at baiting MMA fighters. It's strictly hands. He won't be able to fake kicks or use anything that makes him successful in mma other than his left

It is relevant, because boxing is even more specialized than kickboxing. The less weapons you have, the more you have to be ultra technical about it. Also none of the guys mentioned were 49-0.
The kick boxers are or were at the top of the sport. Let's be honest about Floyd's record. Floyd's record won't be perfect if he had to endure multiple matches in a day especially with his brittle, girl hands.No one in kickboxing has a perfect record because of the brutality of the tournament style matches.

This is irrelevant.

The main point is that somebody who has spent considerable amount of time training and competing, even if it is not at the highest level of the sport, has a realistic chance.

It is a small chance, but it is still realistic.

We can all believe whatever we want, but anything can happen on fight night, and that is the only time we can know the truth.

The truth can only be known in hindsight (after it has happened).

Right now, nobody knows shit, but they believe a whole lot of things.

Obviously Conor has at the very least a punchers chance, my point is it will be more difficult for Conor to pull off an upset than the others because he will be even more limited in a straight up boxing match. I'd love it if Conor won though.

It's a hard one because I've re-watched mayweather highlights and think fuck there is no way mcgregor even touches the guy, the only thing that makes this interesting is the power and age argument, that and the unknown aspect of Conor's boxing and style, if Mayweather has lost a step or two he has maybe 4/5 rounds to fight awkward and pull this out the bag, if it goes beyond that he's fucked, and if mayweather hasn't lost a step he's fucked...

But I'd love a shock story here, put his annoying casual fans aside and Conor's story is one of the most fantastic in recent times!

Yea Joe Schilling and Floyd Mayweather's defense are clearly on the same level LMAO. Schilling takes a beating to give a beating. Overeem was juiced to the fucking gills, but also trained at the fight factory under Lucien Carbin (with Tyrone Spong, yet he is listed as someone Overeem upset?). I'd call these comparisons a stretch, but fuck sake this is just full retard.

Back