I still can't believe Overeem knocked out JDS

I see people saying Overeem didn't have to worry about the threat of the takedown against jds and that he's a better striker. Bigfoot, Browne and Rothwell never attempted a takedown and were inferior strikers on paper yet were able to KO Overeem.

What can I say, that's Heavyweights for you.

Overeem never knocks out people with punches in MMA
JDS never gets knocked out
Overeem always gets knocked out
JDS always knocks out his opponents

I mean all JDS had to do is touch his chin
It was an early stoppage. People feel don't want to see JDS take another horrific beating. But that said overeem has a history of hurting his opponent and then letting them off the hook and getting ko'd himself.

It was nice shot, but the fight could've continued. Was far from a no-doubter.

Overeem never knocks out people with punches in MMA
JDS never gets knocked out
Overeem always gets knocked out
JDS always knocks out his opponents

I mean all JDS had to do is touch his chin
So wait, you summing up shit doesn't mean shit? And you make a thread about this? Good for you. I think it's good you admit your shortcomings in a thread.

I see people saying Overeem didn't have to worry about the threat of the takedown against jds and that he's a better striker. Bigfoot, Browne and Rothwell never attempted a takedown and were inferior strikers on paper yet were able to KO Overeem.

They all also got beaten up before landing a big shot, Bigfoot and Browne took big beatings and weren't able to do anything to Overeem till he gassed. Overeem injured Rothwell's arm and nearly broke it with a kick but he's tough as nails and was able to land a big punch early. Overeem has always been what he is, one of the most well rounded fighters in MMA but with big flaws in his cardio, chin and fight IQ. Jackson's has fixed 2 of those problems and are having him fight more cautiously to protect his chin.

the earlier gif posted is missing some of the best parts. specifically the way reem slipped jds' punch.

3o8dp24FVXhb3qeb3a.gif

The finish is really impressive, especially the part right before this gif. Overeem feigns a few times to pick up JDS' reaction then when he knows what his reaction will be he dodges JDS's punch and drops him. It was a striking clinic.

KO'd Hari, that was a way bigger surprise. KO'd a bunch of top level strikers. He can KO anyone, especially in MMA. His chin is just weak, so he gets put to sleep a lot too, and by way lesser strikers. It's not that hard to get. Arlovski has done some of the same.

lol @ the early stoppage BS, If the ref didnt stop it JDS would have lost another 3 years off his life, you could tell by how he was after the stoppage that he was done.

Overeem is just a better striker....but yeah I too thought JDS was more durable.

He knocked out Badr too...and when you stand there and do nothing like JDS you get dropped..

Same leftt hook that knocked out Badr Hari who is 300x the striker that JDS is.

People keep mentioning the Hari KO like it is amazing. Hari may have a weaker chin than Overeem even. Also K-1 fighters striking prowess is greatly overstated on these forums. Most good mma strikers would do just fine in kickboxing as shown several times (Overeem, Schilt, Rampage Mousasi etc.). Kickboxing is also kind've hard to take serious when it is like the same four guys figting each other over and over. The shallowest of the shallow in terms of talent pool. Last but not least. Arguably the greatest kickboxer ever was knocked out not once but twice by a scrub NFL washout, with no striking background whatsoever. Having said that JDS was a far bigger win for Reem than Hari.

That doesn't make any sense, he's got to deal with all that before getting to his chin.

The fight already happened, talking like this in retrospect is kind of ridiculous. It did make sense BEFORE the fight and even after it if you want to accept that Overeem has questionable chin/heart. Before JDS fought Overeem, he'd only lost to 1 person in the UFC so everyone was expecting him to make a comeback. This makes so much sense....

Last edited:
The fight already happened, talking like this in retrospect is kind of ridiculous. It did make sense BEFORE the fight and even after it if you want to accept that Overeem has questionable chin/heart. Before JDS fought Overeem, he'd only lost to 1 person in the UFC so everyone was expecting him to make a comeback. This makes so much sense....

I had Overeem as a favorite before the fight, he's far more well rounded than JDS and is better than him at most everything except taking punches. Most everyone ignored Overeem's much better skill set in favor of JDS being durable and hitting hard, they simplified the match up way too much.

The guy knocked out Badr Hari... I have to admit I was suprised when he knocked out JDS but we shouldn't have been.

Oh and no, it was not an early stoppage.

I think Herb Dean got bored and just stopped the fight at the first bit of action that came along.

Back