I notice that Alex Pereira didn't really throw calf kicks when he was in kickboxing

GolovKing

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It was only after coming to MMA he started throwing them. Is this just further proof of how much more effective they are in MMA as opposed to kickboxing or Muay Thai, or do you think it has to do with Pereira picking it up after going to MMA as he was noticing the effectiveness others had with calf kicks whereas in kickboxing and Muay thai it's not really a technique that is taught too often

It was only after coming to MMA he started throwing them. Is this just further proof of how much more effective they are in MMA as opposed to kickboxing or Muay Thai, or do you think it has to do with Pereira picking it up after going to MMA as he was noticing the effectiveness others had with calf kicks whereas in kickboxing and Muay thai it's not really a technique that is taught too often

GOod question. Why wouldn t work in KB/mt?
The quality of opponent in kb/mt is going to be much higher. You can still land them but it’s a lot tougher to sneak past their defense

They don't work as well in a sport where fighters can actually check and the stance is different. To check a calf kick is pretty easy if you don't have to think about a takedown.

MMA fighters have to sit lower and get caught loaded on the front foot more due to takedowns.

Two excellent responses so far. The stance in mma, wrestling and even boxing has a center of gravity which is distributed more on the front foot. In contrast mt and K1 fighters need to be more upright with a narrower stance in order to defend low kicks.

They don't work as well in a sport where fighters can actually check and the stance is different. To check a calf kick is pretty easy if you don't have to think about a takedown.

MMA fighters have to sit lower and get caught loaded on the front foot more due to takedowns.
I think attacking the calves in Muay thai would be pretty difficult, especially against actual thais that have been defending kicks a lot longer. In kickboxing though I feel like a lot of those guys do leave their legs exposed and you should be able to land calf kicks on them as well, just not as easy. Somebody told me before also though that in Muay thai judges don't really respect calf kicks. You'd have to seriously hurt someone with one in order to get points from judges. I wonder if maybe it might even be the same with kickboxing and so maybe there's no focus in throwing them.

Two excellent responses so far. The stance in mma, wrestling and even boxing has a center of gravity which is distributed more on the front foot. In contrast mt and K1 fighters need to be more upright with a narrower stance in order to defend low kicks.
I wonder which would be more effective in self defense or street fight situations? I'm leaning more towards calf kicks in that regard

There is not a Need, thats a myth, they just do that because thats what they learn.. Monkey see, monkey do :D

They don't even teach calf kicks, to aim to the calf

I think attacking the calves in Muay thai would be pretty difficult, especially against actual thais that have been defending kicks a lot longer. In kickboxing though I feel like a lot of those guys do leave their legs exposed and you should be able to land calf kicks on them as well, just not as easy. Somebody told me before also though that in Muay thai judges don't really respect calf kicks. You'd have to seriously hurt someone with one in order to get points from judges. I wonder if maybe it might even be the same with kickboxing and so maybe there's no focus in throwing them.

Muay thai in particular scores poorly against them and they are really easily checked. All you need to do is raise your foot a little and it's right there.

Kickboxers definitely score mpre for bigger kicks and punches.

Most people spar all the time with shin pads and you usually see one good check take that weapon away in MMA because they have never felt it even in lighter sparring.

It's pretty crazy to still see them thrown blindly in MMA. Great weapon but like everything needs to be set up. I like Gaethje style of throwing them in nice and close. If they check you can crash into the clinch to recover and you are so close they have to guess when it's thrown.

The upright stance in thai/kickboxing makes it harder to land. And easier to defend.

Calf kicks are new. They probably don't work a much in kickboxing. Checks hurt. Badr Hari got calf kicked a few times in his last fight by "Uku" or what his name is.

Last edited:
Back