I never dreamed that country music would outlive rock

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
If you told me 20 years ago that rock music would be dead and country music would be alive and more popular than ever I would not have believed it. But that's exactly where things are at the moment. Country music is killing it and rock music is as dead as my grandmother. Every weekend there's a country music concert here, and if you go to these shows you will actually see young people there having fun. Can't say the same for rock, outside of the legacy acts there aren't any new rock bands coming through town. Even my friends listen to country now after being rock fans back in the day who wouldn't listen to anything else. We would legit make fun of country singers like Garth Brooks and Shania Twain, it just seemed so embarrassing at the time....Now it's all the rage and rock is the but of all the jokes. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Country music is hot as fuck with the youngsters out here in California too, maybe theres hope for this state yet

That's hard to believe because country music is an absolute total s*** show right now. It's about as shallow and s***** and vapid as it is possible to be. Not far from the worste kind of pop music even.

I listen to a ton of country but it sure as hell ain't the new stuff.

They're very few exceptions but one is Sturgill Simpson who is putting out quality country music.

Experienced this myself this week end. Went to a party with all guys I grew up with all of them punk/rock listeners back in the day. The entire fucking playlist que was fucking country top to bottom and they were singing along new every bloody word.

I share Bo Burnham's opinion on modern popular "country" music.

TLDW: It's bad and it's not country. It's shitty, twangy pop music made to pander to a specific demographic.

I share Bo Burnham's opinion on modern popular "country" music.

TLDW: It's bad and it's not country. It's shitty, twangy pop music made to pander to a specific demographic.

It's funny because it's true.

That's hard to believe because country music is an absolute total s*** show right now. It's about as shallow and s***** and vapid as it is possible to be. Not far from the worste kind of pop music even.

Thats why it got so popular, its fun mindless party music about first loves and wild weekends now, kids dont wanna hear about dead dogs and broken down trucks

Thats why it got so popular, its fun mindless party music about first loves and wild weekends now, kids dont wanna hear about dead dogs and broken down trucks
You're right about the first but totally wrong about the second. There are so many quality lyrics from old country and from Sturgill Simpson which i just posted. It's endless man... In fact, if you can't like sturgill Simpson's lyrics, it's because you're not a human being. They are deeply human.

Modern country is just the cheapest most appalling appeal to the reptilian brain by corporations that can exist. It's absolute trash and it makes you a worse person for listening to it. It's fake.

And the saddest thing is that most of the people listening to it have no idea there are quality options available or that what they are hearing is trash. So it's just what "is" for them. It's the norm... but it's far from normal. It's corporate music created for profit.

If that kind of country were food it would be junk food, addicting and bad for you.

Don't cry useless tears.....rock will never go away, let alone die. It's here to stay, have no shadow of a doubt. Just think that the absolute queen of country, Dolly Parton, just released an album full of rock songs .....ring any bells ??? Having said this, I like country music and one of my fav singers is John Denver.

You're right about the first but totally wrong about the second. There are so many quality lyrics from old country and from Sturgill Simpson which i just posted. It's endless man... In fact, if you can't like sturgill Simpson's lyrics, it's because you're not a human being. They are deeply human.

Modern country is just the cheapest most appalling appeal to the reptilian brain by corporations that can exist. It's absolute trash and it makes you a worse person for listening to it. It's fake.

And the saddest thing is that most of the people listening to it have no idea there are quality options available or that what they are hearing is trash. So it's just what "is" for them. It's the norm... but it's far from normal. It's corporate music created for profit.

If that kind of country were food it would be junk food, addicting and bad for you.

Im wrong about kids not wanting to hear about dead dogs and broke down trucks?
Yea, Im gonna go ahead and stand on that one

Im wrong about kids not wanting to hear about dead dogs and broke down trucks?
Yea, Im gonna go ahead and stand on that one
you are wrong that those are the two options... way off even.. old country has very powerful lyrics,. deeply human and even spiritual sometimes....

You are wrong that those are the two options... Way off even.. old country has very powerful lyrics,. deeply human and even spiritual sometimes....

I know what you meant... I was just joking... I'm funny that way... I been listening to country music for damn near 50 years...

I cant stand it, and people always say rock is dead never really go out of there way to listen to it anyway.
The current scenes are on fire, its just not topping the charts.

It will swing back around eventually

I cant stand it, and people always say rock is dead never really go out of there way to listen to it anyway.
The current scenes are on fire, its just not topping the charts.

It will swing back around eventually
I don't see it as a charts problem.....it's a cultural-artistic issue. I know most people would die to see rock dead & buried. I repeat, it didn't happen in the past , it will never happen. The people against rock are the same ol' conservative kreeps who listen only to wimpy pop, disco, dance, r n b and so on.

I don't see it as a charts problem.....it's a cultural-artistic issue. I know most people would die to see rock dead & buried. I repeat, it didn't happen in the past , it will never happen. The people against rock are the same ol' conservative kreeps who listen only to wimpy pop, disco, dance, r n b and so on.

Yeah.

That's part of the thing too.
Alot of what I'm hearing and seeing are coming from other parts of the world. America might not have the biggest rock scene at the moment, but uk is on fire with so many different bands and sounds. Throw in the rest of Europe

Idles, yard act both got new albums coming next year alone.

Yeah.

That's part of the thing too.
Alot of what I'm hearing and seeing are coming from other parts of the world. America might not have the biggest rock scene at the moment, but uk is on fire with so many different bands and sounds. Throw in the rest of Europe

Idles, yard act both got new albums coming next year alone.
The only thing that could happen to rock is that it might go underground again, but that's not a bad thing in music.....because it stimulates more artists to experiment and come out with cool stuff (ref. the 60s and 70s). But forget that rock will ever die :)

If you told me 20 years ago that rock music would be dead and country music would be alive and more popular than ever I would not have believed it. But that's exactly where things are at the moment. Country music is killing it and rock music is as dead as my grandmother. Every weekend there's a country music concert here, and if you go to these shows you will actually see young people there having fun. Can't say the same for rock, outside of the legacy acts there aren't any new rock bands coming through town. Even my friends listen to country now after being rock fans back in the day who wouldn't listen to anything else. We would legit make fun of country singers like Garth Brooks and Shania Twain, it just seemed so embarrassing at the time....Now it's all the rage and rock is the but of all the jokes. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Are you living in some alternate universe?

Sure, Rock is dead. I'll give you that. Classic rock, hard rock, hair rock, alt rock...all of it. It's niche. But LOL, where in the hell is the surge of popularity in country music taking place? At your backyard BBQ? Because it sure as hell isn't happening anywhere else.

And that's if one even tolerates calling what passes as country as country, anymore. Many don't. Frankly, I don't think a pop song with a twang qualifies as country. Still a pop song. To put it more bluntly, it's "hip-hop for people afraid of black people", as Steve Earle said. MorganFreemanhe'srightyouknow.gif. Just go watch a Florida Georgia Line music video. Their music videos could be any hip hop or R&B star's music video from the 90's. Just swap out all the black people for white people with gawdy tattoos. Hell, at some point, even they realized that's what they were doing, and they just started inviting Nelly to star in the videos directly.

Right now on the Billboard Hot 100 the top country song is "White Horse" at #27 by Chris Stapleton. Next up? Nate Smith at #55 singing a pop-rock song while not even bothering to wear a cowboy hat. At least that pretense has been dropped. Almost none of the people who listen to this stuff work anywhere near to a ranch, anymore, much less on one. It's the same story if you go to the Kworb and look at other trending charts like YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music. Country dominates music like baseball dominates spectator sport, LOL.

Similarly, the most popular country stars on the Billboard chart aren't even country stars, anymore: Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus. Two stars whose ambition transcended the genre, and realized they'd never be where they are if they stayed within it, so they left it. Ironically, in that context, the highest ranked country star who is still usually country on the list is Luke Combs at #17 covering Tracy's Chapman's non-country hit, "Fast Car". Tracy Chapman is a black woman.

I don't know what to tell you man. This is one of those examples where the water warmed up so gradually around country fans they didn't realize they were the frog in the pot of boiling water. All those urban kids won the war. They invaded from within-- Manchurian style. At some point the country stars and country fans didn't even realize they weren't making or listening to country, anymore. They didn't notice they were copying everything the kids in the hood were doing because everybody still looked like them.

Back