I kneed some bro science.

RockstarChris

Dwight Belt
Banned
Reaction score
So I started jogging again. I used to jog for about 2-3 miles a day for about 15 years but quit about 3 years ago. now I started doing 2 miles a day again and was perfectly fine for about 2 weeks jogging daily in the morning. out of nowhere i got this pain in my right knee. not the main part of the knee, but the bump about an inch below the knee on the left side (from my perspective).

i have had this for over a week now and have tried icing, knee braces, rest, etc.

how fix me bros?

Edit: i can barely walk and it feels like at any moment my knee might fall forward and collapse in the opposite direction it is supposed to go.

It depends, how do you pronounce "jogging"?

Like "hogging", egg "nogging", or starting with a "y" and rhyming with "dick flogging"

tendonitis. if R.I.C.E. doesn't help, maybe you got some real damage. if you are in that much pain, why don't you see a doc?

Patella tendonitis. A massive massive bitch. Jumpers knee, the impact, landing faze does it. Stop doing anything that aggravates it, RICE and consider a physio. It's a fucking nightmare and you need to get on it real quick.

Impossible to diagnose over the net, doesn't have to be a patella tendinopathy especially if it's lateral (on the side). 1) go see a physio if it keeps up, 2) adjust your training volume and load accordingly.

Back off the running and slowly build up to the volume you are doing now. You are overusing something and your knee is telling you that. Makes sense jumping into 2 miles each day for 2 weeks, coming from no running for 3 years. It's common sense really.

Again if it persists seek help. Do NOT just keep going and going untill you can barely move anyway, it will only make it that much harder to return to baseline.

I learned how to fight so I don't have to run. Running is pure evil.

I wouldn't want to try to diagnose an injury, but as an older guy who has been an on-and-off runner (recently back to on), I'd encourage you to focus on prevention.

Ten years ago:
1. I didn't need to worry about warm ups
2. I didn't need to cool down properly
3. I didn't need to stretch
4. I could ramp my mileage back quickly after long layoffs
5. I could ramp my speed back quickly after long layoffs

None of those things are true of the 47 year old me.

Back