I just realized MMA has a lot of room for improvement, by looking at...

SirKratos

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
UFC top15 P4P.

http://m.ufc.com/rankings

We are talking about 15 best MIXED martial artist in the entire world. You would expect the best 15 to have both striking and grappling mastered... But how many of those fighters are actually great at both striking and grappling?

Dillashaw
Whitaker
MM
Cody maybe

But thats absolutely it. Some may argue Holloway and Stipe too but they haven't received enough takedown attempts from elite wrestlers yet, did they?

In 30 years, We might have a top15 full of complete beasts and we will look back to 2017 "How did that guy break into top15 with that striking/grappling?"

Discuss.

Nobody can be elite at everything. The idea is to be elite at one or two things, and good enough everywhere else to negate your opponent's strength.

Nobody can be elite at everything. The idea is to be good enough everywhere to negate your opponent's strength.

I'm not talking about elite of the elite, a lot of these guys aren't even great at striking or grappling.

It’s just a scattered list of the champions. If it had anything to do with pure skill then fighters wouldn’t be off the list as soon as they lose.

Remember Fedor was number 1 on sherdog until he lost and was off the list completely. They obviously put a lot of thought into it. *sarcasm*

If It says anything negative about MMA, it’s that people would often rather talk about some nonsensical fantasy ranking instead of the actual divisions and things of relevance. Obviously the real thing doesn’t captivate.

Just goes to show how little respect most of you arm chair fighters have for the real thing. Being ranked top 20 is a feat in itself and nothing to scoff at. Most guys in The UFC top 15 fight a murderers row in a good division.

The guy ranked 170th stomps a mudhole in your ass, TS.

p4p is more of a marketing tool, its for casuals

I'm not talking about elite of the elite, a lot of these guys aren't even great at striking or grappling.
Great strikers box/kickbox. Great wrestlers are in a gym right now training for the 2020 games. Etc, etc, etc.

Just goes to show how little respect most of you arm chair fighters have for the real thing. Being ranked top 20 is a feat in itself and nothing to scoff off. The guy ranked 170th stomps a mudhole in your ass, TS.
bingo. ty

well thats cuz ppl dont actually train mma from a young age, they do their own sport(wrestling) and once they see there is no future or pro league in it they go to mma.

Just goes to show how little respect most of you arm chair fighters have for the real thing. Being ranked top 20 is a feat in itself and nothing to scoff at. Most guys in The UFC top 15 fight a murderers row in a good division.

The guy ranked 170th stomps a mudhole in your ass, TS.

Thats your take from my post?

I'm not saying current top fighters aren't great, but can you deny that top MMA fighters 30 years from now will probably be a lot more complete?

I find that the elite fighters from the last era of MMA were more well rounded than most of the fighters today. Kind of sad.

UFC top15 P4P.

We are talking about 15 best MIXED martial artist in the entire world. You would expect the best 15 to have both striking and grappling mastered... But how many of those fighters are actually great at both striking and grappling?

Dillashaw
Whitaker
MM
Cody maybe

But thats absolutely it. Some may argue Holloway and Stipe too but they haven't received enough takedown attempts from elite wrestlers yet, did they?

In 30 years, We might have a top15 full of complete beasts and we will look back to 2017 "How did that guy break into top15 with that striking/grappling?"

Discuss.

Strange you chose Cody over Dilishaw. Considering Dilishaw uses kicks and TD's much more effectively then Cody and Knocked Cody the fuck out.

UFC top15 P4P.

Dillashaw
Whitaker
MM
Cody maybe

Discuss.
Sry. Champions actually defending the belt. That would be a huge improvement who would of thought.

Strange you chose Cody over Dilishaw. Considering Dilishaw uses kicks and TD's much more effectively then Cody and Knocked Cody the fuck out.

I didn't chose Cody over Dillashaw, TJ is the first guy I mentioned there

UFC top15 P4P.

Dillashaw
Whitaker
MM
Cody maybe

Discuss.
Are you 12? What's your favourite class?

It’s just a scattered list of the champions. If it had anything to do with pure skill then fighters wouldn’t be off the list as soon as they lose.

Remember Fedor was number 1 on sherdog until he lost and was off the list completely. They obviously put a lot of thought into it. *sarcasm*

If It says anything negative about MMA, it’s that people would often rather talk about some nonsensical fantasy ranking instead of the actual divisions and things of relevance. Obviously the real thing doesn’t captivate.

YouMad.jpg

I find that the elite fighters from the last era of MMA were more well rounded than most of the fighters today. Kind of sad.
That's because half of the "Elite" fighters today, are training their mouths instead of their weaknesses....

DJ - he can do it all

TJ - he can do it all

Max - good boxer but how is his ground game? I want to see Aldo take him down but Aldo is too worried about gassing probably

Conor - pure striker, no clinch, no wrestling or ground game

Woodley - wrestler with big right hand, does nothing but back up to the fence and spam OHR

GSP - WW GOAT but not a real MW. Given gift title shot. Question marks about him at MW

Whittaker - dangerous kickboxer

DC - world class wrestler, great clinch and dirty boxing, one of the best strikers in the division, good RNC

Stipe - good boxer and good wrestler

Everyone has 1 or 2 skills.

Evolution is bullshit. Penn was more complete than Conor. GSP was more complete than Woodley. Fedor was more complete than Stipe. Anderson was a better striker and submission guy but Whittaker has better wrestling.

Mid 2000s era was the golden age of technique and skills

Back