I have food poisoning. What can I eat now?

turbozed

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I ate a cheesesteak in NY right before I was about fly back to the SF Bay Area. During the flight I thought I was going to die because of the goddamn food poisoning. Probably one of my worst expriences I've ever had in my life. In any case, this was yesterday. I've stopped puking my guts out and there's literally nothing in my stomach. I've drank Pedialyte since last night and that's all I've had in my stomach for almost 24 hours.

Now I think I'm ready to start introducing small amounts of food again but I don't know what to eat. People, including my mom who's a doctor, have told me to eat bananas and toast. I might eat congee too. Problem is that this provides me with very little nutrition. I'm worried how I'll get enough protein and micronutrients/vitamins.

Will it be okay to take my multi while I'm still fighting food poisoning?

What's the best way to get protein in my diet?

Also, avoid cheesesteaks in the Tribeca area.

You'd probably be okay with foods that you usually tolerate well.

Start with clears, then full liquids, then soft foods, then advance as tolerated.

Damn, sorry to hear about that.

I think first and foremost since you basically threw up everything that was inside you, would be to replenish the body's electrolytes. Rehydrate.

If your stomach still feels a little woozy, I would go with soup. Probably some chicken noodle to help with protein consumption.

Maybe consult with others here, but I would think taking your multi would only help.

Above all, you just need to rest.

Thats funny, I got food poisening from a cheesesteak I ate a few years back. After you throw up and shit everthing out start with bread and gatorade.

I usually get food poisoning once a year it is horrible, but I get the food going with fruit popsicles, and french toast soak the bread really good in the eggs.

this is a extremely helpful thread, glad you asked this question.

If people are recommending bananas and bread, you might as well throw in rice and apples/apple sauce. I don't know if this is just an Indiana thing, but it's called the "B.R.A.T. diet". It's often recommended when you have a sore stomach or you are sick. Bananas, Rice, Apples/Apple Sauce, Toast.

I've heard that coconut is one of the best things to bounce back quickly from food poisoning. I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself though.

saltines always settle my stomach and make me feel better

as far as nutrients, dont worry about it much until you get better

One positive development in this whole ordeal is that I can now really, really see my abz.

Some people do not react well to milk during stomach upset, but it is a decent way to get protein in your system. Cottage cheese or yogurt as well.

Back