I don't understand Reddit bjj

Dogstarman

Old man jiu jitsu
@Silver
Reaction score
Why do people post shit about earning a stripe? There are shitposts galore in there. I guess a bunch of whitebelts post in that shithole. I was trying to look at it and I the design with upvotes and bullshit is horrendous.

there are occasionally some great posts on there, but i like the thread system of F12 better for keeping track of conversations.

Because it's less intimidating then a place like F12.

Most BJJ practitioners just want to spread some of the love they have in the sport but the majority of practitioners are "new" to the sport.

I'm glad that "normal" bjj people have an outlet to share their joy at achieving a first step. The road is long and people need a place to talk about milestones.

Personally I don't get much out of the forum. technique wise, the discussions aren't very insightful. Mostly because being able to anonymously downvote kills critical thinking so deeper conversations never happen unless two members with black belt flair disagree. Of course that won't happen cause those black belts are usually too busy spamming their own YouTube channels.

Either way the forum gives me a good idea on the pulse of the sport and I'm glad it exists.

This thread sounds a little bit like old dudes bitching about those young whippersnappers.

The internet has evolved past oldschool VB Message boards like this and has moved to reddit style up and down votes and social media platforms. I pretty much ignore every post that has a link to a video/imgr account etc and only read the text threads. And I only click ones that I might have something to add and never the "got my 1st stripe!!!!" ones. There is more volume of posts there vs. here so it gives me a little something to look at. I can log in here once a day and not miss anything, see any new threads from morning to evening etc. It's just got more people, granted some of them are so new "they don't know what they don't know" yet.

Just read the posts of osotoviking and it even things out

Just read the posts of osotoviking and it even things out

QOxOdnv.gif

giphy.gif

I feel like I'm the only one who is glad Einarr got banned. He was pretty toxic and definitely deserved it IMHO.

On topic: Reddit has lots of whiny whitebelts, yes, but look at the UG: everyone that posts there is a veteran black belt and it's kinda terrible. You need a balance.

I feel like I'm the only one who is glad Einarr got banned. He was pretty toxic and definitely deserved it IMHO.

On topic: Reddit has lots of whiny whitebelts, yes, but look at the UG: everyone that posts there is a veteran black belt and it's kinda terrible. You need a balance.

the one I'm truly annoyed got banned is Stitch. dude was a gifted writer...no matter how weird it got haha

There are a lot of overly emotional BJJ hipsters on /BJJ. I go there, there are some interesting discussions, but there are an amazing number of 'please tell me I don't suck at BJJ' and '1st stripe on my white belt BJJ-4-Lyfe!!!' type threads. I like Sherdog because many people here have been training long enough to both love and hate grappling, and understand that dichotomy as well as the place it should really hold in your life. /BJJ is bubblegum pop, F12 is Bruce Springsteen.

i dont find much interesting chatter on reddit bjj tbh. this grappling forum is definitely better in my book.

im gonna guess the age demographic of the average /bjj user is a bit younger than our demo here so that might be one of the bigger contributing factors.

a necessary evil.... then he dun goofed and spread it to the War Room and they axed him.

But my music taste is much more bubblegum punk and Springsteen drones too much.

tumblr_mqzlwiQDtb1swmknuo1_400.gif

Then you should probably head over to /BJJ.

A stripe means a lot to some people i guess.

I post on here, on reddit, and on the UG. Each has their up and downsides. I also try to contribute to threads other than my own self serving ones, but some threads i don't read because i know they won't interest me

tumblr_mqzlwiQDtb1swmknuo1_400.gif

Then you should probably head over to /BJJ.

I shall hang my head in shame regarding my immaturity and lack of interest in the man who brought us Dancing In the Dark

Back