I don't think its fair to call Demetrious Johnson the p4p #1 anymore..

He was never even close. P4P is a joke to begin with, but it assumes, at the same size as anyone else, he wins... (It's supposed to be divisional dominance but we all know nobody views it that way).

In reality, MM would still have to cut weight to make 135lb... How can he be the P4P best when he's big enough to be fighting up?

If people pull the height card, Cormier, Romero and Hunt have all given up 4+ inches to previous opponent in far more dangerous divisions.

Dude walks at like 139 in fight shape

His cut to 135 would hardly count

Jones is more complete

Outstruck and dropped machida and shogun
Out wrestles Olympians
Submits blackbelts

DJ couldn't submit Tim Elliott
I would say that Jones is probably the the second most complete fighter.

Dude walks at like 139 in fight shape

His cut to 135 would hardly count
Frankie Edgar won the LW belt without cutting weight. Also: it's not like he can't gain a little size.

P4P is useless if you won't even prove the theory with a 10lb weight jump.

Pacquiao went up around 50lbs for instance over time.

HW
LHW
MW
WW
LW
FW
BW
FLW
--------
8 weight classes

100% divided by 8 weight classes = 12.5%

So OP, the number of people in the world that fall into the FLW division is 12.5% which is right smack in the middle of the range YOU gave ("10-15%").

I imagine a more accurate statement is that the population falls in more of a bell curve, with there being less at the extreme ends of the spectrum (i.e. less FLW/BW and less HW). Of course us Americans being fat skew the numbers higher, but the starving people in Africa skew it lower. I'd actually say the number of FLW men in the world is <10%, just like the number of 220+ (non obese) men in the world is probably also <10%.

Yea i see what you are saying but thats not where i got the assumption for 10-15% , its def more bell curved. Im thinking like if the average guy is 5"9 or 5"10, then 70% of the men in the world would likely be between 5'6 and 5"11, whereas you have more big guys than smaller guys generally, so people above 6' would probably be around 15-20% which would leave 10-15% of guys in the world who would fit the flyweight criteria. On top of that, you could assume maybe 50% of those big guys would say they would be interested in fighting generally whereas i would expect maybe not even 20% of the flyweight guys to be interested, which is just an argument to show you that the flyweight division will never be as talented as the others, bantamweight is a completely different story. The last numbers were just assumptions out of of thin air, but im sure many could see that being realistic. All this to say, my ass dj is the p4p #1, esp with him ducking tj like no tommorow, hes justifying giving a guy who missed weight 2 times in last 4 fights nd who no one knws the title shot instead

So what the flyweight division lacks is depth. Think of it like this, when observed in terms of general population worldwide, I'd assume the total population of men in the world who would fit into the flyweight division is probably 10-15% at the most, way below average and its safe to say that there is just a small pool of flyweight sized individuals in the world, let alone the fighters. It's not as if most small guys would take up fighting anyways, its nothing against the small guys just a fact.

It's just insulting to the entire mma community the kind of shit he is saying to justify not fighting dillashaw. His record doesnt mean shit next to silvas middleweight reign over them killers. There is not one guy in the flyweight division whose posed enough of a threat for people to actually notice them, aside from benavidez maybe. For gods sakes, they created an entire season of tuf a few months ago just to find the guy a damn contender and it turned out to be an ex ufc fighter who wasnt ever in the top 5. I do still think DJ is on an elite level when it comes to his skills but he hasnt challenged himself one bit, hes been picking away at average fighters he knows hes better than. Now that TJ wants to challenge the 125 belt, I just don't understand DJ, this is finally the chance to show the world how good you are and get some real money, instead hes ducking like the little mouse that he is. What a shame, ducking to the max and its just think its hard to justify a guy being the #1 p4p in the world if hes ducking and refusing to fight a legitimate challenger in his own weight class, just all wrong and dissapointing from DJ to be honest.

INB4 tl;dr , if you don't want to read then don't, no room for any immaturity, I just want to hear if others are feeling the same

Why aren't there any flyweight belts in WWE or WWF?

If little dudes scrapping was as popular as people say surely more sports would have tiny men divisions Yeh?

How can you measure his real skills when going against BUMS?!!?! I don't care what your BJJ pedigree is if you can't put it all together. PLENTY of Olympians etc. have been ineffective in MMA.

Yeah, I agree how is Mighty Duck better than Edgar??? He looks GREAT but you measure a champion by their competition. This shit aint "rocket surgery"
<seedat>

Wilson Reis<18>

Back