I didn’t know Khalidov lost

He went 31-1-2 in his 34 fights prior to that loss, beat many UFC vets, like 15 of them in that streak.. guys like Falcao, Lindland, Materla, Barnatt, Manhoef..
Sure his competition wasn't top notch, but he didn't fought only cans by any means, these are mid lv guys and a 31 win streak like that is impressive nevertheless.
Also, you're talking like Santiago destroyed him while what happened was more of Khalidov gassing out, like he always did (remember the fight against the german guy), it's clear to me who is/was the best fighter technically speaking.

At Khalidov's prime, and i assume you will agree his best days are past him, he was a solid top 10 and maybe even top 5 middleweight on the world.

Of course he has power, he KO'd plenty of people. Not anyone good, but still plenty.

My point is, he would be mid level in the UFC at best, as exemplified by his struggle with a glass chin wash out. I wouldn't pick him against any top 15 middleweights, maybe vs Theodoru. Hell, old man Chael would take him to wrestling school.

Even in his prime, you guys are only pointing out his fight with Santiago, but Khalidov also struggled against Daniel Tabera (one of the most badasses and underrated European fighters ever) who actually beat Mamed in that fight. Also struggled against Ryuta Sakurai in the first fight. These are solid fighters, but not the cream of the top and all of them actually fought at WW.

More recently, he struggled against Aziz Karaoglu, and another WW in Mankowsky.

So, while Khalidov has never fought a top 5-10 in the world, he has still struggled in a number of fights, not just against Santiago.

I always loved Khalidov's style of fighting, he is so tricky and skillful, but a lack of cardio and wrestling ability is too much of a handicap at the top of this sport. Still one of the best MWs who has never fought in UFC ever.

All those names are journeymen at best, or just shot at worst.

Did you watch the Santiago fight? Khalidov got outwrestled at will and never had much success in the stand-up, he only beat Santiago by getting outwrestled but somehow landing a punch from the bottom on the glassiest of all chins.

Do you remember Jason Reinhardt? Guy was like 24-0 at one point.

Reinhardt? lol nah...I would say is more comparable to Lombard's record prior to get in the UFC.

Even in his prime, you guys are only pointing out his fight with Santiago, but Khalidov also struggled against Daniel Tabera (one of the most badasses and underrated European fighters ever) who actually beat Mamed in that fight. Also struggled against Ryuta Sakurai in the first fight. These are solid fighters, but not the cream of the top and all of them actually fought at WW.

More recently, he struggled against Aziz Karaoglu, and another WW in Mankowsky.

So, while Khalidov has never fought a top 5-10 in the world, he has still struggled in a number of fights, not just against Santiago.

I always loved Khalidov's style of fighting, he is so tricky and skillful, but a lack of cardio and wrestling ability is too much of a handicap at the top of this sport. Still one of the best MWs who has never fought in UFC ever.

Reinhardt? lol nah...I would say is more comparable to Lombard's record prior to get in the UFC.

Good post.

My Reinhardt point was in regard to judging a fighter by pointing out an impressive record. Lombard fits too, but I tried to be a bit more hyperbolic.

I’m a fan of his. I was surprised to be honest but he just got in the triangle.

He’ll be back for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back