I bought a near 40 year old John Deere lawn tractor in the spring.

frye666

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was in rough shape. Sat unused for several years out in the elements. I had to un cease most of the pedals and gears. I rebuilt the carb and put new gas lines on. The thing is one solid piece of metal. With the snowblower on I bet it is near 1000 lbs.

It still isn't pretty to look at, but the thing runs like a charm. Nothing runs like a Deere really isn't just a saying.

That's dope as fuck. Right on!!!

I have a boat, a skiff really from the 90s I'm working on getting sea worthy.

You were able to fix it because of when it was built, not necessarily because it was a John Deere. Planned obsolescence hadn't yet fully infected the farming industry at that point.

John Deere 4430 tractors from that time frame are damn near indestructible. I think you could drop a nuke on a 4020 from the 60's and it would still run. @Farmer Br0wn

I have a 30 year old Gravely that’ll be here when I’m gone. It’s a beast.

For the record, you can still buy mowers that’ll last just as long. But they sure aren’t cheap.

my uncle had one & fell asleep behind the wheel. next thing you know he drove it into the deep end of his pool. wish I had those pics in my possession to show yous guys.

U gotta paint it now. Think of all the hillbilly you'll get with your shiny tractor.

my uncle had one & fell asleep behind the wheel. next thing you know he drove it into the deep end of his pool. wish I had those pics in my possession to show yous guys.

" fell asleep " ....lol . Mowing the lawn after your 16th budweiser tends to do that .

My dad has multiple tractors and all of them are 40 years and older still run great

You were able to fix it because of when it was built, not necessarily because it was a John Deere. Planned obsolescence hadn't yet fully infected the farming industry at that point.

You could replaced farming industry with all American industry.

Old tractors, John Deere, or not are generally reliable as hell. A lot of people I know have some from the 50's-60's that still see regular use today. I'd eventually like to pick one up for myself, even though I realistically wouldn't use it that often.

Back