I am training myself for the 2019 Golden Gloves

Chicago Golden gloves to be specific. So here's the run down. I have been training off and on Different styles since I was probably 17-18. Technically a yellow belt in TKD when I was like 12. But didn't seriously start training until about 17. Im 24 now. Started at an MMA Gym here in Chicago called victory MMA. Learned the basics but gave it up for a couple of years to work.

Been moving around gyms for the past few years learning from different coaches. But some bad luck always seems to happen. Injured my back and knees and took like 2 years off.

Come back and Now have decided to try out for the Senior Novice division in the Chicago Golden gloves in March 2019. I have made the bold decision to train myself for this. I know sounds crazy. But here's the deal. I'm a certified personal trainer with a lot of knowledge of excercise and how to get into great shape.

I do train at a boxing gym called Windy City boxing and have been here for about a month and 10 days now. Basically my routine is. Mon, wed, fri- Boxing specific training. Cardio. Heavy bags rounds. Shadown boxing. Ring circles. Double end bag. Sparring(Although haven't started sparring again yet). Tues,Thurs- Conditioning/Lifting. Saturday and Sunday off.

Current stats. 6 feet tall. 181.7 last weigh in. Was 190 a month and a half ago. Trying to be 165 come March for the event. Eating on a caloric Deficit until then. I'm a long and lanky guy who loves using the jab. I have a more defensive boxing style like Floyd, but fight hands down/Low like RJJ.

Just wanted to let you guys know my journey and if you have any advice let me know. Thanks.

i try to be supportive and encourage people to pursue and accomplish goals, therefore I think its great that you want to compete, which you definitely can however what I gather from your post is

- you did some TKD as a kid..lhis is not going to help with boxing.

- You did some MMA for a very short period of time(?) this is not really going to help much with boxing

- You joined a boxing gym for 1 month (and 10 days o_O)

- you plan to train yourself to fight because "I'm a certified personal trainer with a lot of knowledge of excercise and how to get into great shape." Sorry dude but knowing how to "lift weights bro" has nothing to do with fighting. You may know how to get in shape, which is a great thing, and surely a benefit for training but being fit and fighting are not the same thing. Yes fighting requires being fit, but knowing how to get fit, is not knowing how to fight.

What I would suggest you do is: stick around at your boxing gym for more than 1 month. Continue to train and get instruction from your coach. Speak with your coach about wanting to compete, and let your coach handle the rest as far as coaching you, preparing you for a fight, finding you a fight, etc. etc. It might also be a good idea to get a few amatuer fights under your belt before diving into the golden gloves.

as for myself I ran cross country when i was 12, i have also taken a few zumba classes here and there. I plan to enter the world certified trainer championships, now I am not a certified personal trainer, but heres the thing, I am a muay thai fighter and I have been doing crossfit for 1 month and 10 days.

Plz get a coach. Even a coach who never fought but been around for a bit. You will not win doing this alone. You will look like a deer in highlights in there. Your pt experience will not help you. If u do it it will be an example of why u dont train yourself to everyone

- you plan to train yourself to fight because "I'm a certified personal trainer with a lot of knowledge of excercise and how to get into great shape." Sorry dude but knowing how to "lift weights bro" has nothing to do with fighting. You may know how to get in shape, which is a great thing, and surely a benefit for training but being fit and fighting are not the same thing. Yes fighting requires being fit, but knowing how to get fit, is not knowing how to fight
It think this is the most important part.
Not everybody is Roberto Duran, who started boxing because he was a good street fighter (at least that's what I read about him).
Btw, you have some advice for a young, soon to be fighter? I plan on getting into the pro fight game soon, and some advice from a guy who competes would be nice, since my "coach" left me (long story).

Not everybody is Roberto Duran, who started boxing because he was a good street fighter (at least that's what I read about him).
Btw, you have some advice for a young, soon to be fighter? I plan on getting into the pro fight game soon, and some advice from a guy who competes would be nice, since my "coach" left me (long story).

Which pro fight game?

find another gym to join

you need a coach, you need a gym, you need a team, you need teammates, sparring partners, etc.

i would suggest joining a gym and than doing pretty much the same thing i recommended the other guy. its pretty much the same across the board for anyone wanting to compete.

Continue to train and get instruction from your coach. Speak with your coach about wanting to compete, and let your coach handle the rest as far as coaching you, preparing you for a fight, finding you a fight, etc.

Build a lot of amateur experience before jumping to pro. anyone can fight pro, should they is another thing. you can be 0-0 as a amatuer and have your very first fight ever as a pro if you want, wouldnt recommend it, but people do it.

as we have discussed on here, coaching isnt fighting, fighting isnt coaching. A fighter cannot think they dont need their coach just because they can beat them up or a better fighter than them or whatever.

find another gym to join

you need a coach, you need a gym, you need a team, you need teammates, sparring partners, etc.

i would suggest joining a gym and than doing pretty much the same thing i recommended the other guy. its pretty much the same across the board for anyone wanting to compete.

Continue to train and get instruction from your coach. Speak with your coach about wanting to compete, and let your coach handle the rest as far as coaching you, preparing you for a fight, finding you a fight, etc.

Build a lot of amateur experience before jumping to pro. anyone can fight pro, should they is another thing. you can be 0-0 as a amatuer and have your very first fight ever as a pro if you want, wouldnt recommend it, but people do it.

as we have discussed on here, coaching isnt fighting, fighting isnt coaching. A fighter cannot think they dont need their coach just because they can beat them up or a better fighter than them or whatever.
That's probably the best thing I can do. I have a gym in mind, it's about 40min by car from my house. In a different city, but it training is at a good price, and the atmosphere seems to be good.
About my previous coach, he closed the only gym in my town for reasons unknown to me or others who trained there. Since then we've been sparing together sometimes, but I'm serious about competing, so finding a coach is the best option I guess.
Thanks

Yeah, you just need to be in a nurturing environment that has avenues to facilitate your goal.

Oh and get amateur fights.

You should check out Sinisters youtube series

Chicago Golden gloves to be specific. So here's the run down. I have been training off and on Different styles since I was probably 17-18. Technically a yellow belt in TKD when I was like 12. But didn't seriously start training until about 17. Im 24 now. Started at an MMA Gym here in Chicago called victory MMA. Learned the basics but gave it up for a couple of years to work.

Been moving around gyms for the past few years learning from different coaches. But some bad luck always seems to happen. Injured my back and knees and took like 2 years off.

Come back and Now have decided to try out for the Senior Novice division in the Chicago Golden gloves in March 2019. I have made the bold decision to train myself for this. I know sounds crazy. But here's the deal. I'm a certified personal trainer with a lot of knowledge of excercise and how to get into great shape.

I do train at a boxing gym called Windy City boxing and have been here for about a month and 10 days now. Basically my routine is. Mon, wed, fri- Boxing specific training. Cardio. Heavy bags rounds. Shadown boxing. Ring circles. Double end bag. Sparring(Although haven't started sparring again yet). Tues,Thurs- Conditioning/Lifting. Saturday and Sunday off.

Current stats. 6 feet tall. 181.7 last weigh in. Was 190 a month and a half ago. Trying to be 165 come March for the event. Eating on a caloric Deficit until then. I'm a long and lanky guy who loves using the jab. I have a more defensive boxing style like Floyd, but fight hands down/Low like RJJ.

Just wanted to let you guys know my journey and if you have any advice let me know. Thanks.
Good luck ...i guess

Back