Human Beings will Never Colonize Mars

It wouldn't be like Little House on the Mars prairie, that's for sure.

But people put up with a lot if the price is right. Probably would be more along the lines of a permanent or semi-permanent work camp that pays high wages

This is assuming there are resources to extract to make such a thing viable.
What would happen if you get fired from your job in Mars?

Why not just colonize the 90%+ of Earth that is empty?

Literally every country in the northern hemisphere looks like this when you fly over it

fly-in-view-from-plane.jpg

Not sure why anyone would even want to tbh. We’ve got our faults but I’m perfectly happy living on the planet that is perfect for us.
The whole idea makes literally no sense, except for that crazy fuck Elon Musk and a few thousand Star Trek weirdos.

It's like "we could establish a colony under the ocean it's gonna cost 50million per person". Cool story bro, I'll stay right here.

For all the gravity is too low guys, there is a huge rabbit hole you can go down by people that think we likely came from mars with all the problems humans have on this planet other animals don’t.

I haven’t gone down that rabbit hole in a long time but there is some interesting stuff there.

Mars is smaller than earth, so it would have cooled faster and would have been a habitable planet much earlier than earth would have been.

Before the core cooled and stopped it would have had a magnetic field like the earth has, and would have supported an atmosphere.

We know it used to have massive amounts of running liquid water from the massive canyons and dry river beds all over it.

Mars most likely had life way before earth, but it’s gone now since it’s core cooled.

Some theorized we escaped to here and all our tech got lost during the younger dryas ice ages or possibly even an ice age event before that one.

1/3 gravity is not zero gravity. My understanding is that we don't quite know at this point what living long term in reduced gravity is going to do to us. We can mitigate the effects of zero gravity by rigorous exercise (though there is currently no way to reduce skeletal deterioration), so maybe rigorous exercise would completely eliminate many of the effects of 1/3 gravity?

The big question is what it will do to our skeletons... we might have to go full wolverine, or construct rotating modules that add to gravity without making people constantly dizzy.
Sleeping in a centrifuge for 8 hours a day.

The only way we can successfully establish a colony there is if we terraform the planet or a huge chunk of it at least, but this will take centuries if not millennia.

Why not just colonize the 90%+ of Earth that is empty?

Literally every country in the northern hemisphere looks like this when you fly over it

fly-in-view-from-plane.jpg

I suspect this is likely to happen in the coming decades as climate change warms these areas and makes farming possible, Canada and Russia are likely to gain most, I suspect a large part of why the Chinese are allied to Russia.

The big issue will always I'd guess be "does it make economic sense?", is there some kind of resource on Mars which is worth colonising to exploit?

Saturn's moon Titan actually looks like the most likely colony to me, loads of liquid hydrocarbons on the surface(hundreds of times earths oil/gas reserves), lots of water, thick atmosphere to block radiation and it actually has survivable air pressure making environmental suits and habituations much easier/safer as they don't need to deal with a big pressure difference.

Titan still gets too much radiation from Saturns magnetic field, same goes for Jupiters moons like Europa

Regarding gravity issue, werent just not that long ago public debates about safety of creating miniscule black holes in CERN (i think it was). Black holes are if nothing else huge gravity suckers.
If they can create one, add a few years research in controling it , youre coming close to some semblance of if nothing else localized gravity. Citywise, habitatwise, larger ? who knows, but theoretically with that they could create artificial gravity.

Regardless of the feasibility, there's a reason we don't see spaceships jetting around the universe, and its not because the universe isn't full of life. Its because we don't understand life or our purpose. The inner world is far, far more interesting than the outer world, and that is what we should be focusing our efforts on.

Titan still gets too much radiation from Saturns magnetic field, same goes for Jupiters moons like Europa

Europa surface radiations levels would kill a human in a day I believe so any colonisation would need to be well shielded or more likely located under the ice, maybe in the sub surface ocean depending on how far down it actually is.

I believe on Titan it would be less of an issue, Saturn's magnetic field is significantly weaker, Titan is twice as far away from it as Europa is from Juipter and it has an atmosphere to block it.

We'll all be robot/human hybrids by then <TheDonald>

Mars would be such a boring planet to live on especially when you have to be underground, but virtual reality and entertainment would be so advance at that point nah?

For all the gravity is too low guys, there is a huge rabbit hole you can go down by people that think we likely came from mars with all the problems humans have on this planet other animals don’t.

I haven’t gone down that rabbit hole in a long time but there is some interesting stuff there.

Mars is smaller than earth, so it would have cooled faster and would have been a habitable planet much earlier than earth would have been.

Before the core cooled and stopped it would have had a magnetic field like the earth has, and would have supported an atmosphere.

We know it used to have massive amounts of running liquid water from the massive canyons and dry river beds all over it.

Mars most likely had life way before earth, but it’s gone now since it’s core cooled.

Some theorized we escaped to here and all our tech got lost during the younger dryas ice ages or possibly even an ice age event before that one.
Um... evolution?

Back