Huge cash prize gap between male & female gamers

I never understood why video games or chess for that matter divide competitors by sex.

I don't really mind it. Maybe by the traditional definition sports are athletic by definition, but I don't really have a problem with applying the label to any structured competitive activity.

It's like I was just talking about chess in here. The debate over whether or not chess is a sport is a neverending one in the chess community, but I don't mind it being called one.

I guess to me there is a distinction between games, contests and sport.

Not all sports are also games, and not all sports are competitions etc.

This is probably true. But any pay gap in gaming would most mostly be explained by a smaller talent pool and less gamers in the women's division. Although, we know sexual discrimination exists, so a small amount of the difference is probably also sexism.

What percent of gamers out there do you reckon are women? There are huge tourneys with many teams you'd expect at least a few women if it was just the talent pool yeah? Not sure if I buy the sexism argument here, if a girl was good then a team would want to pick her up.

I could see the argument that women avoid gaming in the first place because it can be toxic

I never understood why video games or chess for that matter divide competitors by sex.

They don't. There are a few token 'female' tournaments, but the vast majority of tournaments are open for everyone to enter. Women just aren't good enough to compete.

I call bullshit on this. The multiple studies you mention are heavily biased and don't take into account the difference in performance between men and women. Women are more risk averse and maternity leave is a burden on employers. Feel free to link the studies as well as who funded and conducted them.

Also, women more than make up any difference in the pay gap by raping men for all of their money in divorce court. 97% of alimony is paid by men. Women are also more likely to get custody of their children and collect child support.

Laws are becoming increasingly gynocentric over the last century. Generally, men are the victims of gender discrimination. If you've never been divorced or separated after having children I can understand how you could not be aware of this. If you're interested in a movie on the subject, check out Cassie Jay and The Red Pill.
So, how are the studies biased? Please explain that to me. They're regression analyses. It's all mathematics. I'd like you to explain how that math is biased. You see, this is a real question, not a rhetorical one. I will know by your answer whether you know what you're talking about, or if you just don't want to listen to economists who don't confirm your preconceived biases.

Also, you are right. Women are 100% more likely than men to take maternity leave (although many places now provide paternity leave too). But that is still a form of discrimination. It is called statistical discrimination. Whether it is right or wrong to statistically discriminate is a debated topic.

But this is just common sense. We know sexism does exist. We see in the data, when controlling for things like occupation, hours worked, etc., that there is still some gap. This is indisputable. They can't find any factor to explain that gap. Why would sexism just fail to manifest itself at all in this one aspect of society? That's the real question. Is business somehow in a vacuum in which biases don't exist? Of course not. And of course there is going to be some amount of sexism and inherent bias when it comes to hiring employees.

Addendum:

There are some economists, very few, who agree there is no real pay gap. However, I have only heard them say that and haven't seen any data to back it up, so I am inclined to believe the data I have actually seen. I don't really care either way. I'm a guy. My problem is that people are so willing to dismiss any data that says there is, not because of some altruistic commitment to the truth, but because it fits with their political identity and narrative. They absolutely refuse to believe anything, no matter how scientifically factual, that could possibly challenge their preconceived notions. You guys need to put that shit in check if you ever want to make it in his life.

The thing I don't get about it, I can play a video game, or I can watch someone else play a video game. Now if you want to see some game play to help make a decision about a game that's 1 thing, but you get people watch the same guy play the same game for hours a day, most days of the week. Why not just play the game yourself?

People say it's the same as watching a movie, but it's not really. I can buy a game and play it myself. I think the chances of me finding the AllSpark and fighting Megatron to the death, are fairly slim.
A better analogy would be a reality TV show or live sports than a movie. But people watch streamers for their personality while they watch tourneys for the level of competition.

They don't. There are a few token 'female' tournaments, but the vast majority of tournaments are open for everyone to enter. Women just aren't good enough to compete.
Isnt it telling that the highest ranked North American female StarCraft player is a MtF trans?
1409257659577.jpg

A better analogy would be a reality TV show or live sports than a movie. But people watch streamers for their personality while they watch tourneys for the level of competition.

Isnt it telling that the highest ranked North American female StarCraft player is a MtF trans?
1409257659577.jpg

Yeah I guess the reality tv analogy is pretty accurate. Though I can't stand them either, with exception to the "faux documetary" reality tv shows like American Chopper.

The highest paid American female ceo is a MtF, woman of the year in 2016 or 2015 was a MtF. It seems that a lot of the best females are/were men.

So, how are the studies biased? Please explain that to me. They're regression analyses. It's all mathematics. I'd like you to explain how that math is biased. You see, this is a real question, not a rhetorical one. I will know by your answer whether you know what you're talking about, or if you just don't want to listen to economists who don't confirm your preconceived biases.

Also, you are right. Women are 100% more likely than men to take maternity leave (although many places now provide paternity leave too). But that is still a form of discrimination. It is called statistical discrimination. Whether it is right or wrong to statistically discriminate is a debated topic.

But this is just common sense. We know sexism does exist. We see in the data, when controlling for things like occupation, hours worked, etc., that there is still some gap. This is indisputable. They can't find any factor to explain that gap. Why would sexism just fail to manifest itself at all in this one aspect of society? That's the real question. Is business somehow in a vacuum in which biases don't exist? Of course not. And of course there is going to be some amount of sexism and inherent bias when it comes to hiring employees.
Numbers can be interpreted many different ways. According to Google, a heavily biased corporation, the gender pay gap is 77 cents to the dollar. They could also claim this gap is based on incontrovertible evidence based on the numbers.

You didn't link a single one of your studies. It's much easier to simply assert that the numbers prove your point than to provide any real evidence because you have none.

You also completely ignored my other point about how men are raped in divorce court. Here are some other facts. 82% of the prison population is male. 85% of men in prison came from single mother homes.

Gynocentrism discriminates against men heavily and the importance of the father figure and masculinity has been under attack for a long time since women took over the majority of the voting force.

If you're going to assert you're right, link your studies. Stop claiming the numbers absolutely prove you're correct and provide your 'evidence'. It's also important to note who conducted and funded those studies. Open your eyes.

In China women can't even compete in videos games against guys?

Addendum:

There are some economists, very few, who agree there is no real pay gap. However, I have only heard them say that and haven't seen any data to back it up, so I am inclined to believe the data I have actually seen. I don't really care either way. I'm a guy. My problem is that people are so willing to dismiss any data that says there is, not because of some altruistic commitment to the truth, but because it fits with their political identity and narrative. They absolutely refuse to believe anything, no matter how scientifically factual, that could possibly challenge their preconceived notions. You guys need to put that shit in check if you ever want to make it in his life.
You're a joke. You make wild assumptions about preconceived notions and political identity and don't have a shred of evidence.

We need to put that shit in check if we ever want to make it in this life? Look at what happened to Cassie Jay in both the US and especially Australia. Her film was banned even though many of its protesters never actually watched it. They also claimed it was funded by men's rights activists when it wasn't.

You're right in a way about putting that shit in check to make it in this life. Feminist ideals have infected so much of modern society that you do need to be careful about saying anything against the gynocentric narrative lest you find yourself without a job. James Damore recently learned this when he was fired from google.

What percent of gamers out there do you reckon are women? There are huge tourneys with many teams you'd expect at least a few women if it was just the talent pool yeah? Not sure if I buy the sexism argument here, if a girl was good then a team would want to pick her up.

I could see the argument that women avoid gaming in the first place because it can be toxic

Probably moreso they avoid competitive online gaming due to the high incidence of assholes.

I've wondered before if I'd give a shit about watching people play video games if I was 14 years old again.

I dunno, maybe. But as it stands, eSports is not a phenomenon that I've ever considered giving even one once of my attention.
yup I like to game but no point in my life did I ever enjoy watching other people play a video game, I have officemates here who actually watch the DOTA tournies live and follow what ever team. But I'm glad gamers are getting good money for what was once considered a waste of time.

Numbers can be interpreted many different ways. According to Google, a heavily biased corporation, the gender pay gap is 77 cents to the dollar. They could also claim this gap is based on incontrovertible evidence based on the numbers.

You didn't link a single one of your studies. It's much easier to simply assert that the numbers prove your point than to provide any real evidence because you have none.

You also completely ignored my other point about how men are raped in divorce court. Here are some other facts. 82% of the prison population is male. 85% of men in prison came from single mother homes.

Gynocentrism discriminates against men heavily and the importance of the father figure and masculinity has been under attack for a long time since women took over the majority of the voting force.

If you're going to assert you're right, link your studies. Stop claiming the numbers absolutely prove you're correct and provide your 'evidence'. It's also important to note who conducted and funded those studies. Open your eyes.
Ok, somyou obviously don't know how the regression analyses work. And no, numbers cannot be interpreted different ways. I'm done with you.

Ok, somyou obviously don't know how the regression analyses work. And no, numbers cannot be interpreted different ways. I'm done with you.
Couldn't link your studies when called out on your bullshit.

Couldn't link your studies when called out on your bullshit.
I linked to plenty of them before. But you obviously have no idea what you're talking about and have no interest in hearing anything that controversy what you already believe. So why would I take the time to link to studies, some of which you yourself could find by searching, only to have you not understand them and just deny their veracity anyway? If you were really interested in seeing them, you would search for them, read them, and ask me what the fuck they mean. I've done all this on here before with dumbshits like you numerous times. I'm not going to just keep doing it.

I linked to plenty of them before. But you obviously have no idea what you're talking about and have no interest in hearing anything that controversy what you already believe. So why would I take the time to link to studies, some of which you yourself could find by searching, only to have you not understand them and just deny their veracity anyway? If you were really interested in seeing them, you would search for them, read them, and ask me what the fuck they mean. I've done all this on here before with dumbshits like you numerous times. I'm not going to just keep doing it.
Why waste my time searching for random studies which may or may not be the ones you're referring to? You referenced them to support your claims. Throwing a temper tantrum and name calling me or anyone else who disagrees with your bullshit demonstrates how weak your argument is.

Why waste my time searching for random studies which may or may not be the ones you're referring to? You referenced them to support your claims. Throwing a temper tantrum and name calling me or anyone else who disagrees with your bullshit demonstrates how weak your argument is.
You're the only one throwing a tantrum. So read this if you can. I can't wait until you try to cherry pick one sentence out of it to try to prove your completely irrational point of view.
http://www.nber.org/papers/w7732.pdf
BTW, why would you "waste your time reading studies"? That pretty much says everything about you anyone needs to know. Why have an informed opinion on anything, right? People like you are a major problem.

Back