How to use Wrestling moves effectively in a street fight?

Dick_Stillhard

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum.

I have a limited amateur boxing background, but apart from boxing I don't know much else. I really like the techniques/moves wrestlers use in MMA. I have been wondering how effective these would be in a self defence situation. I have been watching a little bit of build up to the DC and Rumble Johnson fight, and what I noticed with DC is the throws/slams he used vs Hendo and Gustaffasson.

I was looking at those moves thinking they would be useful in a street fight/self defence scenario. I don't know the technical terms for these grapples, so forgive me, but I particularly liked the move DC did where he grabbed Gustaffasson by his upper thigh with both hands, then lifted him and slammed him into the canvas. He performed a similar move on Hendo too.

Are these kind of techniques applicable in real life, self defence scenarios or not?

Yes, picking a guy up and slamming him hard into concrete tends to limit his ability to street-fight a bit.

Arm drags for taking the back standing and snap downs. Two on one wrist control if fmyiu HAVE to defend against a weapon. Single collar ties for dity boxing.

Don't try to use big slams lol, just learn a kosoto gake or something, or ouchi gari, they are both quire simple to execute

Sitting on someones chest punching him in the face while he flails helplessly is a pretty good self defense tactic.

Just the fact that you are used to moving around resisting body....how would that not help in a physical confrontation?

Are you fucks getting even dumber?

Ofcourse! i'm a huge advocate of wrestling for fighting. If someone doesn't know what they're doing, they basically give you takedowns. You're better off working from clinches than shooting from the outside, concrete isn't really soft, so your knees are prolly gonna take a beating, that said, i've done it in grass before and the damage I took wasn't too bad. You can hit that high crotch takedown you like from the clinch as well, though a basic trip would prolly be your best bet. The obvious tactic for the streets is to strike into clinch range, then go to work. Train a bit, really rep it out, do some squats and dead lifts so you can smash bigger dudes with it.....and enjoy.

The core concepts behind wrestling or any grappling is where you place your hips. You always will have better leverage to uproot your opponent if you are both closer to your opponent and lower. There are exceptions like reaching for a single, but generally, wrestling is a fast, close the distance style that relies a lot on explosiveness.

IMO, MMA doubles, a feint/change level single and duckunders after a few distracting knee strikes are simple enough and basic enough to learn and pull off. Throws take more time, from my experience.

The impact of the takedown can't be underestimated.

Most fights are between drunk dudes, and drunk dudes have no balance, and it usually gets to pushing / grabbing / shoving / hockey fighting. Being able to control the person's body or trip them or get them on the ground and keep them there is probably more useful than trying to check hook in a club IMO

I used a rear waistlock to take down a drunk assault suspect at work. Immediately ended the fight. Ended up rupturing his bladder from it.

I used a rear waistlock to take down a drunk assault suspect at work. Immediately ended the fight. Ended up rupturing his bladder from it.

Like, you just slammed him on pavement and the fight was instantly over? Was he in a ton of pain? I've always been worried I'd hit someone's head with a big slam or takedown and they'd die, I guess something to look out for/be cautious about if I'm doing it

Like, you just slammed him on pavement and the fight was instantly over? Was he in a ton of pain? I've always been worried I'd hit someone's head with a big slam or takedown and they'd die, I guess something to look out for/be cautious about if I'm doing it

Was not even a slam. Just rear waistlock, offset his balance and brought him down with a bit of force. Not even close to slamming though. Knocked the wind out of him and we cuffed him up in seconds.

As others have said a legit slam with a lot of force or drive is gonna really give someone a bad day.

Back