How to throw the left round kick Kyokushin/Dutch style, with different stances?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Like I take a step to load the left kick but when I change stances I no longer know where to put my right foot

Heres the lead round kick but thrown from southpaw

35mns5h_jpg_medium.gif

Here it is again thrown by Fedor its the second kick he throws

PlaintiveNippyBlobfish.gif

Thrown by a sanda fighter in a very bladed stance
CPhyWh.gif

Thrown by bas in a very square stance
1.gif

I just never know where to put my foot should I move it forward, forward and to the side how much, where do I put it when I change stance to a more side on or front on stance ?etc

I load the kick like bas rutten with my foot flat

o2t

Last edited:
Lebanner had crazy power in that kick because he fought with his strong lead. A right handed southpaw.

Lebanner had crazy power in that kick because he fought with his strong lead. A right handed southpaw.

Lebanner is a peculiar fighter. When you watch some of his old fights, like against Andy Hug, he doesn't look like a power hitter at all. Could it be the workings of the juice?

There was no of the juice in old k1 or pride.

Best mode for everyone

Like I take a step to load the left kick but when I change stances I no longer know where to put my right foot

Heres the lead round kick but thrown from southpaw

35mns5h_jpg_medium.gif

Here it is again thrown by Fedor its the second kick he throws

PlaintiveNippyBlobfish.gif

Thrown by a sanda fighter in a very bladed stance
CPhyWh.gif

Thrown by bas in a very square stance
1.gif

I just never know where to put my foot should I move it forward, forward and to the side how much, where do I put it when I change stance to a more side on or front on stance ?etc

I load the kick like bas rutten with my foot flat

o2t

Is that specifically a Dutch style kick? Looks like they're just stepping in to switch stance and then low kicking.

And the Sanda guy is doing more of a pendulum kick:

Thats not true at all, the left and right side mean very little to anyone but a beginner, many or more orthodox boxers have the left hook as their most powerful punch for example

Just comes down to practice

Le Banner has his left punch as his best punch right hook and jab wasnt close behind mind

Last edited:

If you are good every punch should be powerful with the edge in power at the rear but only because it has more room to build up momentum, not because it is left or right side dominant /non dominant

Le Banner is a great example of this every punch is powerful the left having the edge because its got a longer time to build up speed etc

Mike Tyson an even better example, every punch powerful the right side an edge because its in the rear, he gets more KO's with the left but its not more powerful unlike many sub par boxers like Morrison, tua etc where their left is more powerful because they suck with the right

Both Tyson and Le Banner mastered power generation well for the hands

It doesn't matter what stance they took , not for power

You'll get there ;)

Last edited:
The pendulum step or lead leg roundhouse is a very difficult kick to master. It is harder to generate power and even though it travels less distance it is very difficult to master it at a level with ease and minimum telegraph. However it is a very useful strike against more orthodox power-striking fighters. In JKD we call this the Hook Kick (because the kick travels in the same direction as a Hook Punch for consistency reasons) which is basically a lead leg roundhouse with some snap behind it. This kick is best complemented with the pendulum step (from fencing) to cover distance. However, up close you do not want to use the pendulum step as you could risk jamming into your opponents and losing power in your kick at the same time leaving yourself open. If you are in close quarters like most muay thai people it's best to just small shuffle and throw the round kick.

Are you southpaw or orthodox? Which leg is your main kicking leg? What styles do you use for kicking?

The pendulum step or lead leg roundhouse is a very difficult kick to master. It is harder to generate power and even though it travels less distance it is very difficult to master it at a level with ease and minimum telegraph. However it is a very useful strike against more orthodox power-striking fighters. In JKD we call this the Hook Kick (because the kick travels in the same direction as a Hook Punch for consistency reasons) which is basically a lead leg roundhouse with some snap behind it. This kick is best complemented with the pendulum step (from fencing) to cover distance. However, up close you do not want to use the pendulum step as you could risk jamming into your opponents and losing power in your kick at the same time leaving yourself open. If you are in close quarters like most muay thai people it's best to just small shuffle and throw the round kick.

Are you southpaw or orthodox? Which leg is your main kicking leg? What styles do you use for kicking?

Converted southpaw, right lead, right leg and hand is used more although less powerful and damaging than the left side, JKD is for street fighting its sub optimal for MMA fighting because its designed for something else that has a different dynamic. Im asking with dutch kickboxing in mind.

In dutch kickboxing and muay thai the front leg round kick is loaded different ways many of them get a load of power into the kick, something not advocated in JKD because its more about kicks to the groin with footwear etc where speed is more important than power, in kickboxing you tend to square up and load up more (exposing the groin) and weaker pendulum style kicks are less common because its hard to damage the thigh when theres such limited range of motion.

Despite being deigned for the street there is the possibility that JKD is not optimal for the street when compared with dutch kickboxing etc, sport styles have a habit of making street designed styles look silly ineffective and inferior I think its partly because of the power they generate, the conditioning against that increased power, the more hands on approach, the strength/power training, and the evolution of effectiveness sport styles go through constantly, and the overestimation of the effectiveness of things like groin kicks in street fighting

Notice in the video footage how the pendulum kicks did jack crap and the loaded front leg round kicks broke legs, caused knockdowns and knockouts, pendulum is useful for winning via points but not so much for causing damage

Last edited:

It seems there are many different ways to do it and you dont have to step out to the side you can step forward and still load it , you can even step forward so much that you switch stance like Le Banner did but its not a switch kick its different

Peter aerts seems to combine it with 2 steps instead of 1 to get a better angle on the thigh, and perhaps to avoid incoming punches

He also does a mini switch kick to load it

There are so many ways to do it and subtitles on each way hence my confusion, I just wanted how to throw a rear kick, how to throw a lead kick how to throw a loaded lead kick 1, 2 ,3 but its not that simple there are a ton of variations

I guess to make it simple like I wanted

1) Rear round kick - step 45 degrees kick

2) front round kick loaded big step at 45 degrees then kick

3) front round kick non loaded less square less powerful no step pivot in place or small 45 degree step

Last edited:
So if you want to simplify it look at what Fedors doing and do that

I dont think anything changes if you are front on like bas rutten or side on like a sanda guy , you still step out at 45 degree to load the front /left round kick?

Last edited:
JKD is for street fighting its sub optimal for MMA fighting because its designed for something else that has a different dynamic.

In dutch kickboxing and muay thai the front leg round kick is loaded different ways many of them get a load of power into the kick, something not advocated in JKD because its more about kicks to the groin with footwear etc where speed is more important than power, in kickboxing you tend to square up and load up more (exposing the groin) and weaker pendulum style kicks are less common because its hard to damage the thigh when theres such limited range of motion.

Some interesting points however JKD isn't only limited to groin shots and eye gouges. That's a common misconception.

Despite being deigned for the street there is the possibility that JKD is not optimal for the street when compared with dutch kickboxing etc, sport styles have a habit of making street designed styles look silly ineffective and inferior I think its partly because of the power they generate, the conditioning against that increased power, the more hands on approach, the strength/power training, and the evolution of effectiveness sport styles go through constantly, and the overestimation of the effectiveness of things like groin kicks in street fighting

Notice in the video footage how the pendulum kicks did jack crap and the loaded front leg round kicks broke legs, caused knockdowns and knockouts, pendulum is useful for winning via points but not so much for causing damage

I understand your point but JKD does not sacrifice power for speed. The power and speed is both combined. I've seen it and if you think you know JKD through what YouTube videos you saw online then I understand your perspective but that's not the complete truth of the situation. There's good JKD around but I've only seen it in private or off line events.

Some interesting points however JKD isn't only limited to groin shots and eye gouges. That's a common misconception.

I understand your point but JKD does not sacrifice power for speed. The power and speed is both combined. I've seen it and if you think you know JKD through what YouTube videos you saw online then I understand your perspective but that's not the complete truth of the situation. There's good JKD around but I've only seen it in private or off line events.

1) I didn't say it was only limited to dirty strikes boxing etc is part of JKD, I said people over estimate the effectiveness of things like groin strikes to the point where people like Bruce Lee make sacrificing adjustments to their style and stance based on a false premise making the "style" less than optimal.

2) JKD DOES sacrifice power for speed much of the time, it also sacrifices power for non telegraphic movements, sometimes for economy of motion too, also for extra range, and a narrower stance that allows less power on the lead weapons (especially the round kick) which are the primary weapons overly used in JKD. Bruce considered other factors like these more important and effective than power and he was partly right, so thats why he sacrificed power for other qualities. Thats not to say its a wussy art that has no power (although thats what his followers today are doing) but he made effectiveness his primary objective and if that means cutting down power for other traits he did it.

The problem with the way Bruce did JKD is he has based it on false premises and made the whole thing flawed and ineffective, which is why you dont see it have as much of an impact as it should have had he based it on the right premises. It is ironic that he created his own form of organized despair, except faulty ideas rather than rules created this organized despair.

No ones stopping anyone with sidekicks in MMA are they? To the knee. Longest weapon nearest target. He fcuked up he got it wrong. Round kicks muay thai etc they got it right thats whats causing the knockouts not Bruce Lee's ideas

You wasted your time bro, you should have taken up muay thai instead.

Last edited:
I agree that most JKD is represented pretty pathetically today, but you haven't seen all the JKD out there. The average JKD person takes martial arts for pure self defense and not really for "the art" of competing in sports. I would say, very few are like me, who take JKD and want to compete it with recent popular styles in fights. Other JKD guys do it for the money and status, and other guys do it simply to worship Bruce Lee and feel a false sense of accomplishment. Then there's the very few that Bruce mentioned, the 2% who actually fight and rip shit up. This would be the JKD guys that I know. Have you taken JKD before or something? You sound like you've studied it before like you speak first from some kind of experience.

Also, Bruce Lee had his non-commercial schools and his commercial schools. How they think, fight, and train is completely different. The McDojo JKD places tend to be more organized despair than anything. JKD was never meant to be so formalized. The non-commercial schools run differently and never so formalized.

Try to open your mind up a little bit; I've sparred with Muay Thai guys and they aren't that difficult. I've even briefly trained with another thai fighter and showed him a little hand technique and it woke him up in shock. It was nothing. Just a couple hand techniques and he, who has been training for 5-10 years, has been avoiding me or something. I've been wanting to spar him for a long time but he's been avoiding me since the last time I showed him that hand technique.

Where are you from? Maybe someday we can test each others abilities.

I agree that most JKD is represented pretty pathetically today, but you haven't seen all the JKD out there. The average JKD person takes martial arts for pure self defense and not really for "the art" of competing in sports. I would say, very few are like me, who take JKD and want to compete it with recent popular styles in fights. Other JKD guys do it for the money and status, and other guys do it simply to worship Bruce Lee and feel a false sense of accomplishment. Then there's the very few that Bruce mentioned, the 2% who actually fight and rip shit up. This would be the JKD guys that I know. Have you taken JKD before or something? You sound like you've studied it before like you speak first from some kind of experience.

Also, Bruce Lee had his non-commercial schools and his commercial schools. How they think, fight, and train is completely different. The McDojo JKD places tend to be more organized despair than anything. JKD was never meant to be so formalized. The non-commercial schools run differently and never so formalized.

Try to open your mind up a little bit; I've sparred with Muay Thai guys and they aren't that difficult. I've even briefly trained with another thai fighter and showed him a little hand technique and it woke him up in shock. It was nothing. Just a couple hand techniques and he, who has been training for 5-10 years, has been avoiding me or something. I've been wanting to spar him for a long time but he's been avoiding me since the last time I showed him that hand technique.

You sparring MT guys with clinch, elbows and knees? There's also a difference between sparring hobbyists that have a real job and pros.

I allways stereotype jkd as being big on lead leg kicks like wonderboy. is that true?

You sparring MT guys with clinch, elbows and knees? There's also a difference between sparring hobbyists that have a real job and pros.

I've been in a clinch and been kneed and elbow'd before. Was definitely sneaky. I had my fair exchanges with those thai guys but I'm honest enough to say that I didn't see those coming at first so I got hit. I even got super man punched starting from a fake roundhouse lol. Overall it's good and I'm not putting muay thai or dutch kickboxing down I think they're great styles and as a JKD guy I enjoy sparring anybody from different styles. Boxers, kickboxers, wing chunners, kyokushin, and tkd guys are all fun to spar with.

I allways stereotype jkd as being big on lead leg kicks like wonderboy. is that true?

Big on lead kicks yes, but we do use our rear tools a lot. The spinning back and side kick are very useful counters. Also the oblique kick is used a lot to check kicks. It's good to use both legs to setup a rhythm for fakes. A good JKD man develops his lead kicks until it has knock out power. So he may be faster and travel less distance but because it's less range it could be weaker. So a good JKD guy is supposed to find other ways to achieve strong kicks with his lead leg otherwise he's just a weak speed guy with no power. I'm not super amazing but I have some power in my lead leg attacks. Certainly not as strong as muay thai or dutch kickboxing but definitely strong enough to hurt someone badly.

Back