How to keep control from very low takedown

snowman22

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ok, so if you hit a double or a single leg low so when they hit the ground you are way down by the ankles, how do you keep them pinned down while scaling higher to get side control?

Just use the control you have over their ankle/legs to set up a pass rather than try to scramble to side control right away. I'd either keep hold of an ankle and base/stand up elevating it then leg drag pass if I'm really low on their legs (after a low single for example). If I'm a bit closer to the hips or I can't be bothered to stand up I'll just over/under pass instead.

What he said ^. Or have the head in the knee and finish in a lace type position that will set up a pass

Just use the control you have over their ankle/legs to set up a pass rather than try to scramble to side control right away. I'd either keep hold of an ankle and base/stand up elevating it then leg drag pass if I'm really low on their legs (after a low single for example). If I'm a bit closer to the hips or I can't be bothered to stand up I'll just over/under pass instead.

This is very good advice, but one other thing you can practice is reshooting from your knees for uke's hips as a way to set up an easy pressure pass. I do this a lot after hitting low singles. Basically if you have taken uke down but you only have control of his ankles you won't have control for very long. So as his butt hits the mat basically shoot off your knees for his hips. You're diving at them, more or less. If you can get good hip attachment with his legs out straight under you you can chair sit or otherwise wrap his leg(s) up with yours and the pass should be very easy. I do this off doubles too, but usually with those (at least the way I shoot them) you don't have to reshoot off your knees to be high enough to chair sit under and start the pass.

You can do two things:

Jump up and secure the hips - This is easier than it sounds because you can move faster here than they can

Climb the body - go from ankle control to knee control, to hip control, to smashing their upper body down.

If I hit a low single, I would keep a hold of the ankle/(s) and do my best to work my way up the body.

Back