How to improve my boxing at home?

Practical Goat

Knowledge Seeker
@White
Reaction score
I'm a noob boxer, only started 3 weeks ago and my coach has gone away for a month and a half. I'm wanting to improve myself from home and do some learning. I've only done the pads for all 3 lessons which covered jab, cross, left hook, blocking, rolling and slipping with combinations using each of these.

Can I do anything from home to make me better? Could I buy any useful equipment which could improve me?

Just any good advice for a new boxer at all really (techniques, exercises etc etc.)

Thanks.

Shadow boxing, practice what you know.

How did you start 3 weeks ago, but "your" coach has been gone a month and a half?

You already seem like your head has taken some punishment. Maybe take up tennis or gold instead.

Last edited:
How did you started 3 weeks ago, but "your" coach has been gone a month and a half?

You already seem like your head has taken some punishment. Maybe take up tennis or gold instead.
Lol maybe you should take up tennis or golf. I hope you're not being serious...

Shadow boxing is good. You can also do footwork drills by yourself. This video is a bit old but it shows some basic drills you can practice that will improve your footwork.

You shouldn't need to get any additional equipment though. When you're first learning, I think the most important thing is footwork. Punching will come with the footwork; you'll find that it's actually the feet and your positioning that set your punches up. Just find a nice open space to work on movement drills and shadow boxing.

Last edited:
It would probably help most just to do some exercising and stretching etc. Maybe learn to skip rope better. Skipping rope is a good exercise, improves your cardio along with your hand/foot etc coordination.

With only 3 weeks training you have basically nothing to build on as you don't know how to do anything yet. I wouldn't personally advise you to train without a coach watching as unless you were very careful there's a good chance you'd just end up reinforcing bad behaviours accidentally.

How did you start 3 weeks ago, but "your" coach has been gone a month and a half?

20562052_106584370042591_955006338_n.jpg

Maybe you should learn to read before suggesting alternative training options for other people... My coach has gone away as from now for a month and a half, you absolute mong.

Back