How to get calves like boxers/thai boxers?

Replay19

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm talking about some thick, muscular calves, but not ginormous humongous ones. Basically how to build the calves so you go from super skinny looking to more medium size build? What are the exercises besides just running a lot? What do boxers and thai boxers do to get those killer looking calves? Is that just a side product of their training, or they train for that specifically?

I'm talking about some thick, muscular calves, but not ginormous humongous ones. Basically how to build the calves so you go from super skinny looking to more medium size build? What are the exercises besides just running a lot? What do boxers and thai boxers do to get those killer looking calves? Is that just a side product of their training, or they train for that specifically?

I think you need to post this in the strength and conditioning area, not all Boxers or Nak Muay have big calves.......

Roadwork on the balls of your foot.

Footwork on the balls of your foot.

Kicks with the support leg on the balls of your foot.

Repeat for years.

Everything Frode advised above. Also, squats, deadlifts and calf raises.

Genetics. Training since childhood. Knee strikes. Lots of knee strikes.

A lot of running and skipping.

Thais tend to run on the front part of their foot (ball of the foot) and that works calves even more.

A lot of running and skipping.

Thais tend to run on the front part of their foot (ball of the foot) and that works calves even more.

Yeah i do the same. Have done it ever since my first trio to Thailand way back in 2002

Never fight like a flat footed nibba.
That is all.

Yeah i do the same. Have done it ever since my first trio to Thailand way back in 2002

I always ran on the balls of my foot, because I once heard in sixth form that it was dangerous to run heel-toe... it's probably not true but for some reason I believed it and got into the habit of running on my toes

Did they explain to you why they run that way? I never asked because it's a bit of a weird question to ask I thought.

Jump rope and proper footwork.
Eventually you’ll just walk toe first all the time.

Calves s size is mainly genetic... (Like wrists... ). I don t think you can have a big evolution with training... ( maybe powerlifting or bodybuilding... )

I always ran on the balls of my foot, because I once heard in sixth form that it was dangerous to run heel-toe... it's probably not true but for some reason I believed it and got into the habit of running on my toes

There has been a lot of debate over the subject in track and field circles over the years, but it's generally agreed amongst most high level coaches that toe strike (or more specifically, midfoot strike) is more efficient and less impactful than heelstriking.

Not that lots of people agreeing or disagreeing with each other necessarily has anything to do with the truth of a matter, but i happen to think so too, since it makes anatomical sense (pretty much every running animal on earth also 'toe' strikes).

Last edited:
It is true, heel to toe is ok for walking, but when you start to get significant speed going your gonna want to transfer that force through as many joints as possible to lessen the damage you do to yourself. It's most important for heavy people.

Synthol

Running. If you do significant distance I think midfoot running is superior to forefoot running. (As is the consensus in the running community.) If you are barefoot or wear barefoot shoes then you are basically forced to run on the balls of your feet but over time it wears down your body.

I bought really puffy shoes like the asiscs nimbus and im very happy. Used to believe in the vibram or barefoot movement but its just not feasible if you want longevity as an athlete. And you will still build calves. Your shins will also be neglected if you only run on the balls of your feet, unless it is on an incline and then it is basically impossible to strike forefoot. Thus forcing you to transition into a midfoot strike anyway.

Heel to toe is garbage though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back