How to close the distance in kickboxing?

Dilaanf_

Orange Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I've been having trouble closing the distance. Everytime i throw a punch i can't seem to connect, especially with my rear hand. When i get close i have the feeling i am too close and so then punch isn't hard. So how do i successfully close the distance and get the perfect distance to throw combinations?

I've been having trouble closing the distance. Everytime i throw a punch i can't seem to connect, especially with my rear hand. When i get close i have the feeling i am too close and so then punch isn't hard. So how do i successfully close the distance and get the perfect distance to throw combinations?
I would use the punches to set up kicks. if you land on the gloves you'll be in range for leg kicks. You have to cut off the ring and don't chase the guy. are you throwing the punches as you move?or just moving,stopping then punching? you have to jab AS you step forward. work on the stepping forward 1-2.You should be able to land hooks and uppercuts up close.

Last edited:
You need to pursuit, your opponent/partner is stepping back while you're being stationary. Look at it this way, as he's moving back, its harder to check, so you can bullshit your hands, and land a leg kick nicely. It'll be a freebie.

So with this, using a 1,2,3, kick setup: step in on the jab, then on the cross step in with your rear leg as well, then step forward with your lead as you hook, then plant yourself and leg kick.

As for jamming your distance, step in with half a step (to an entire foot at most) ideally, any more and you'll jam. Work this with the heavybag.

Last edited:
Just boxing?
It sounds like you are having trouble finding range, not closing the distance.
If you are having trouble connecting with your cross, just focus on your jab output. Get to the point where your jab is touching reliably, and you will be able to mentally calibrate how close you need to be to land all your other punches and start having the confidence to throw them. When you can touch him with the jab, all the other pieces will start to fall in place.
There are countless ways to go about closing the distance if you figure out your range. You can advance at angles, you can change elevation, you can gage your opponents reach, you can train counter triggers, etc.

Back