How padded is Nick Newell's record?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I remember watching him in WSOF and did pretty good against his opponents but no one seemed to attack his weak side. Last night Munoz made easy work of him by attacking his armless side and circling towards it. Newell tried throwing out his stump in an attempt to somehow counter but never came close. Reminded me a lot of the Justin fight where there seemed to be a clear and obvious path to victory.

Dana put him against a guy with not many fights and a long layoff and he got dominated. Unfortunately it seems like Dana was right in never signing him.

I remember watching him in WSOF and did pretty good against his opponents but no one seemed to attack his weak side. Last night Munoz made easy work of him by attacking his armless side and circling towards it. Newell tried throwing out his stump in an attempt to somehow counter but never came close. Reminded me a lot of the Justin fight where there seemed to be a clear and obvious path to victory.

Dana put him against a guy with not many fights and a long layoff and he got dominated. Unfortunately it seems like Dana was right in never signing him.

Actually, not really padded.
His biggest , and most important win was vs Eric "It's a wrap" Reynolds, who gave hard enough times fighting pretty tough opposition. Overall was quite underrated opponent.
Before that - probably his couple of first fights were redundant, because he fought pretty unskilled fighters, and he DEFINITELY has skill.

WSOF gave him half decent fights, half...slight mismatches.
His fight with this Sabah Fadai guy was redundant, but, for example, his fight with Joe Condon is underrated. Condon was quite a legit opponent too, despite the record.

Overall conclusion - his record his OK. He's OK fighter too, I believe he's made a maximum under his limitations.

I said it prior to last night's event in the betting thread - Newell needs to be the hammer. He excels when he can get the takedowns or overwhelm his opponent near the fence. This means he'll have trouble against wrestlers who are also athletic/fast. It was a really tough matchup for him, but he really didn't look that bad. His kicks up the middle were dangerous, his knees were dangerous, and the guillotine threat was there.

I said it prior to last night's event in the betting thread - Newell needs to be the hammer. He excels when he can get the takedowns or overwhelm his opponent near the fence. This means he'll have trouble against wrestlers who are also athletic/fast. It was a really tough matchup for him, but he really didn't look that bad. His kicks up the middle were dangerous, his knees were dangerous, and the guillotine threat was there.
Don't get me wrong, he does amazing with what he has, but it was clear he needs to limit himself to a few strikes to make up for missing an arm. It was sad seeing Munoz circle to his stump and lighting him up and Newell attempting to counter with his nub which had no chance of reaching his face.

Don't get me wrong, he does amazing with what he has, but it was clear he needs to limit himself to a few strikes to make up for missing an arm. It was sad seeing Munoz circle to his stump and lighting him up and Newell attempting to counter with his nub which had no chance of reaching his face.

Normally he can get on the inside. He's typically not on the outside stuck like that. If you thought last night was bad, his Gaethje fight was brutal. I think he can hang with most fighters in the clinch, close striking range, and on the ground. If he gets stuck on the outside, he's in trouble. I can't fathom what it would be like watching him fight someone like Barboza. With that said, I do think he can beat some fighters in the UFC.

Normally he can get on the inside. He's typically not on the outside stuck like that. If you thought last night was bad, his Gaethje fight was brutal. I think he can hang with most fighters in the clinch, close striking range, and on the ground. If he gets stuck on the outside, he's in trouble. I can't fathom what it would be like watching him fight someone like Barboza. With that said, I do think he can beat some fighters in the UFC.
Yeah I remember seeing that fight and wondering why everyone doesn't do that. If you can keep it on the feet and keep circling he's likely screwed.

Yeah I remember seeing that fight and wondering why everyone doesn't do that. If you can keep it on the feet and keep circling he's likely screwed.
MMA fighters suck at circling and maintaining distance. Most of them have no cage awareness whatsoever. They move a bit, and then they're trapped against the cage. At the higher lv this obviously changes a bit though.

It was actually kinda fucked up seeing that dude dominate nick like that. I had watched him before WSOF and he looked good in LFA just recently.

Looking at that fight last night, it was just very obvious he was at a big disadvantage with only having one hand. He still did well but that dude pretty much laid out the recipe for beating him almost every time by circling to his weak side.

All that said I was hoping he would get a win last night. I was also thinking that many casuals might be turned off watching him fight unfortunately.

It was actually kinda fucked up seeing that dude dominate nick like that. I had watched him before WSOF and he looked good in LFA just recently.

Looking at that fight last night, it was just very obvious he was at a big disadvantage with only having one hand. He still did well but that dude pretty much laid out the recipe for beating him almost every time by circling to his weak side.

All that said I was hoping he would get a win last night. I was also thinking that many casuals might be turned off watching him fight unfortunately.

You have to keep in mind that Munoz was on the starting lineup at Oklahoma State. He's a hell of a wrestler and hell of an athlete. The recipe for beating Newell is correct, but not everyone will be able to execute. Munoz had all of the tools for it. I think Newell would beat two fighters on this weekend's UFC card - Devin Powell and Alvaro Herrera.

I remember seeing how he choked the guy out with one arm. Dude tapped very quickly, i Just don't buy that

I remember seeing how he choked the guy out with one arm. Dude tapped very quickly, i Just don't buy that

What fight are you talking about? It's not like his one arm is useless. He uses it in all of the chokes that I've seen.

Sonny Luque was a complete layup for Newell. Watch some of the other fights where Luque gets subbed. They are on youtube. He doesn't defend worth a damn and taps very quickly.

By the way, that wasn't even a choke. It was a neck crank.

Back