How Much has your Rent Gone Up?

One of the reasons why Cali homes prices isn’t a bad deal if you can afford it.

TX and IL have crazy property tax rates. But most people don’t look at property tax rates and just look at actual house cost.
California may not be high % wise, but having some of the highest home prices in the country the amount having to pay towards property taxes is still ridiculously high for those that bought in recent years. Combine that with the SALT deduction cap at $10k, people in California get screwed left and right on taxes. At least in some place like Texas many homeowners may actually be below the $10k cap due to no state income taxes.

The best deal on property taxes is in Hawaii. If you bought a $1.5 mil home in Honolulu, HI vs a $1.5 mil home in lets say Mountain View, CA. You would pay about $1200 less per month on property taxes in Hawaii. Sadly you won't get much house in either place.

California may not be high % wise, but having some of the highest home prices in the country the amount having to pay towards property taxes is still ridiculously high for those that bought in recent years. Combine that with the SALT deduction cap at $10k, people in California get screwed left and right on taxes. At least in some place like Texas many homeowners may actually be below the $10k cap due to no state income taxes.

The best deal on property taxes is in Hawaii. If you bought a $1.5 mil home in Honolulu, HI vs a $1.5 mil home in lets say Mountain View, CA. You would pay about $1200 less per month on property taxes in Hawaii. Sadly you won't get much house in either place.

I agree, it’s still high. But not bad of a deal as it seems. I factor in weather, food and convenience and it’s a better deal to me than living on the East coast in freezing temperatures.

Not sure about other places, but Cali house prices go up quick as well.

I dont rent but mortgage payments are pretty brutal. Self inflicted I guess.

/shrugs

You’ll probably be paying less in mortgage in 10 years than renting.

I have a friend that bought a house long time ago and he was paying less than what I was paying for an apartment.

You’ll probably be paying less in mortgage in 10 years than renting.

I have a friend that bought a house long time ago and he was paying less than what I was paying for an apartment.
Yeah, no big deal. My first house was paid off in my 30's but I bought a big new one so my parents have somewhere to live as they're now in their 70's.

I still dont regret it. I should be debt free again by 50 *sigh*

That doesn’t sound as good as you thought it would lol. “We’re not breaking the law”. It’s kind of like saying “we pay minimum wage” lol.

“Following the law” = fuck you, if we could raise it more, we would.
Oh no sir...we could have absolutely raised it further. I mis typed that. There are many actions I could take to fuck over the tenants and increase the rent, legally. All my tenants pay well under the average here in Canada. But we do raise it each year.

I feel no guilt being a landlord. None.

22,000thb a month.

Got a good deal because of covid, and landlord hasn't increased in 3 years because he says we're the best tenants he's ever had in here.

It's a 4 storey shop house, and I heard from others nearby that the previous few tenants all tried to run cafes in it and went broke, broke the leases and disappeared.

The legend of the rent was way hardcore.

Oh no sir...we could have absolutely raised it further. I mis typed that. There are many actions I could take to fuck over the tenants and increase the rent, legally. All my tenants pay well under the average here in Canada. But we do raise it each year.

I feel no guilt being a landlord. None.
I’m a landlord too. I thought you were bragging about “only raising it as much as you legally could”. Just thought that was an odd way to brag

22,000thb a month.

Got a good deal because of covid, and landlord hasn't increased in 3 years because he says we're the best tenants he's ever had in here.

It's a 4 storey shop house, and I heard from others nearby that the previous few tenants all tried to run cafes in it and went broke, broke the leases and disappeared.
I pay 30,000thb for a 2bd.... Though it is a nice condo. Still beats the hell out of prices back in the states, so mine decreased.

I pay 30,000thb for a 2bd.... Though it is a nice condo. Still beats the hell out of prices back in the states, so mine decreased.

30k is quite a bit for a condo, can I ask where abouts you are?

We are right next to CMU in CNX.

30k is quite a bit for a condo, can I ask where abouts you are?

We are right next to CMU in CNX.
Yea I figured, but I was in need and impulsive. I just went for something.

in the Huai Khwang area. Bangkok. Literally only been here a bit more than two weeks. Not familiar with the market or anything. My friend’s friend is in real estate, or whatever… like I said. Just impulsive and went with something

1300 in 2019 for a 1/1 condo in a very quiet very clean almost zero crime area near several schools / 1900 now. Nothing in my area is under 2k.

900 a month
3bd townhouse- 1250 sqft
35 miles outside STL

Back